Turn signals

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
What's the best place to find one of these? I bet (hope) there sold from a bunch of places.

From what I understand the four-ways (hazards) and turn signals are controlled by two different flashers. This is the turn signal flasher. I think my died, the lights energize when the turn signal stalk is actuated, they just won't flash on and off, they stay on during a turn when the signal stalk is pushed down or up when making turns....and the stalk will return to off position once the steering wheel returns to straight and lights turn off as they normally do.

. IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

You can get new 2 prong turn signal/flasher switches from any parts house. Very common part. I usually grab some out of older Mopars when I'm at the wreckers....always have about 6 or so on hand. I usually go through one a year or so.

You can get new 2 prong turn signal/flasher switches from any parts house. Very common part. I usually grab some out of older Mopars when I'm at the wreckers....always have about 6 or so on hand. I usually go through one a year or so.
Thanks for the info my friend. Your lucky, I wish I had Mopar junk yards near by. I'm gonna have to travel a bit before I hit any yard with good stuff left. I'm gonna just have to make a day trip sometime to grab some extra parts.

I think the proper name for this part is a "Signal-Stat 175 turn signal flasher". Here's a NOS example.

31605040454_large.jpg

This is the kind I usually grab...They have either a 2 or 3 prong set-up....depending on your wiring.

180793d1279316894-4-wire-flasher-conversion-pic-2-term-turn_signal_flasher.jpg
Yeah, those are the hazard flashers. I just replaced mine before Carlisle as it seem to be getting somewhat weak when flashing. I'm still trying to locate the square ones which plug directly into the fuse block itself. All the usual sources only had the hazard flashers. Also looks like (from what Im seeing on Ebay) these things work in other cars as well (corvettes, fords, etc).

Will the small round ones not fit into your fuse box? These flasher relays works for both hazards, or turn signals. Might not look original, but the function should be the same.

Will the small round ones not fit into your fuse box? These flasher relays works for both hazards, or turn signals. Might not look original, but the function should be the same.
I'm not sure...the turn flasher piece kind of looks like it has multiple plugs coming out of the bottom but really can't tell, gonna give it another shot over the weekend.

I purchased one of those parts store flashers for my Barracuda when I restored it and as soon as I tried it I was pulling out and looking for an original. It was the sound or more the lack of the right sound. This was a car that I had memories of growing up and the original had a very distinctive metallic plinking sound.

This was a car that I had memories of growing up and the original had a very distinctive metallic plinking sound.
YES! I miss that sound, too.
I thought I was the only one.
Tah-chink tah-chink tah chink...
Nothing like a tin can mechanical relay....

Yeah made in china definitely makes a difference, although the hazard flasher I picked up at AAP had "made in USA" stamped on it. I was quite astonished.

If this is for your '70 Newport (assuming from your screen name), the flasher isn't on the fuse block.

Look for it on the left side of the steering column. I'm going from memory on some of this....I think it's clipped to one of the the dash support brackets. If someone replaced it sometime in its life, it may be hanging from the wires too. Lot's of guys never bother to clip them back in place.

Hope that helps.

If this is for your '70 Newport (assuming from your screen name), the flasher isn't on the fuse block.

Look for it on the left side of the steering column. I'm going from memory on some of this....I think it's clipped to one of the the dash support brackets. If someone replaced it sometime in its life, it may be hanging from the wires too. Lot's of guys never bother to clip them back in place.

Hope that helps.
Yes, it's my 70' Newport. Perseverance pays off. I found...it, and yeah it was clipped exactly where you said it would be...looked untouched all this time. I had it confused for the hazard flasher. Sucks having to replace it.
Danke.

Looking for this guy. Prong configuration/spacing seems to be unique from what I'm finding on the i-net so far. Found a two prong flasher unit that supposed to be a direct replacement (modern/upgraded version?)

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

That there is not your flasher relay. That is the interior light time delay unit. This is what power the steering column light, that comes on when you open the door. You then have light to see the ignition.

That there is not your flasher relay. That is the interior light time delay unit. This is what power the steering column light, that comes on when you open the door. You then have light to see the ignition.
Thanks for the guess, but it can't be impossible. I don't have time delay on the interior lights. Close the doors and the go out immediately. Nor do I have a steering column light. The only lights that come on when the door is open is the ceiling light, and the dash reading lights. They are all controlled by a rheostat when the doors are closed (if you need to turn them on). I kind of wish I did have all that stuff....but this a lowly Newport, not a LeBaron,lol.

Back to square one. It is really becoming difficult to find this bugger. This has to be the turn signal flasher (it is not the hazards). I've seen these all over ebay for Fords, Corvettes and other mopars (pre-65). Someone has got to be re-pro'ing these. Last resort: pack a lunch, head down to WV and try to scavenge what I can find from some of the fuselage cars in the woods.

Back