Two Questions, one thread

prd2bdf

Reaction score
So I’m really enjoying my 1973 Newport with the 400 big block.

Two questions, I’ve searched but didn’t find any.

What spark plug is suggested and does the electronic distributor need its cap replaced or is it good for a long time? (My first distributor car)

What is the expected MPGs out of these cars? I know it’s not gonna be a Prius but I would like to make sure it’s performing as expected.

As I recall, from our '72 Newport Royal 400 2bbl, the factory spec spark plugs were Champion J-13Y non-resistor plugs. The prior 383 2bbl plugs were J-14Y and most of the B/RB 4bbl plugs were in the J-10Y to J-12Y range. So, to me, most anything in the J-12Y to J-14Y range would probably work well. As long as the engine is not using oil (1000 miles/qt or less miles/quart). The J-13Ys usually "patterned" the center ceramic in a light beigh color with minimal deposit accumulation. Recommended plug gap is the normal .035", although easing up to about .040" can work too, if desired.

Considering the access to those spark plugs, it MIGHT be advisable to find an equivalent in either platinum or Iridium plugs. Getting to #7 and possibly #5 can be best done from underneath. Just watch out for the hard plastic water shield for the starter attached to the stub frame!

As for the ignition cap, it is not usually a maintenance item. Unless it might crack or have some carbon tracks between the inner terminals. If there might be some accumulater deposits, then get a flat screwdriver and scrape them off to leave exposed metal. Same with the end of the rotor. IF you might decide to replace it, getting a tan cap would look the best, to myself and many in here. The factory caps had aluminum contacts, but the "optimum" contact material would be copper. The aluminum worked just fine for Chrysler and other OEMs.

As for fuel economy, ONE thing NOT to do is to over-tighten the air cleaner wing nut! Why? The air cleaner stud attached to the center of the carb. That casting looks substantial enough to do what it does, BUT over time, the torque applied to the wing nut will exert an upward pull on the stud, which can also pull that casting "up" in the middle. This is also in the same area which seals the rear of the float bowl between it and the carb venturi area. When that seal goes away, it also kills the vac signal to the power valve, which means the carb is running "full power mixture" all of the time, which on our '66 Newport 383 2bbl, meant about 10mpg no matter what. The '66 had a Stromberg WWC 2bbl and the '72 had the newer Holley 2210 2bbl, which is of the same construction and design as the Holley 2245 2bbl on your car (the difference between the 2210 and the 2245 is that the 2245 is an "EGR carb" and the 2210 was not).

The Holley 2210 carb is a newer design (for back then) which means a very responsive accel pump and more efficient-design carb venturis, which was necessary for tighter emissions standards. When I replaced the Stromberg WWC on the '66 with a '70-spec Holley 2210, I could tell it was running more efficiently by the way it ran, which was good. The first trip I made from Lubbock, TX to DFW at 55mph, resulted in right at 20mpg on the road. Which tended to coincide with the Lubbock Chrysler-Plymouth dealer recorded on a '74 Chrylser Newport 400 2bbl in one of their highway fuel economy tests (20.33mpg).

In real world use, our '72 Newport 400 2bbl usually averaged about 13-14mpg in the way it was being driven. Small town city driving and some rural highway driving each day. On longer Interstate highway trips, it would usually do about 15mpg at 70mph speed limits. In general, the low-compression 400 was about 1.0-1.5mpg less than the '66 Newport 383 2bbl with one point higher (9.2 vs 8.2) rated compression ratio. I need to note also that this was back when "gas was gas", unlike the current ethanol'd blends we now have. E10 is supposed to yield about 6% less mpg than E-Zero. Also, at those times, the cars had fiberglass-belted bias ply OEM spec tires, rather than radials (which might yield a few more % of highway fuel economy).

Air cleaner wing nut torque? In prior times when the top of the air cleaner was a big-upside-down type of item, you could not see if the top was fully compressing against the air cleaner element. So, "tighten it down good, until you see the top compress against the element. In the later designs, with a separate flat top, this is much easier to determine and feel. To me, just enough torque to see the top move down a slight bit, snug but not more than that.

IF the carb top has warped, I believe that @saforwardlook has found the Autoline (carb rebuilders) are aware of this situation with the Holley 2210-family carbs and has adjusted their processes/procedures to correct for it. Chrysler did put out a factory "bridge kit" to address this issue, back in the middle 1970s. It worked on our '72 Newport 400.

You'll also notice on the tune-up specs decal on the core support, that the base timing (at least on our '72 Newport 2bbl) was 7.5 degrees BTDC plus and minus 2 degrees. Of course, 10 degrees worked well for the '72 Newport. Whereas the '66 Newport 383 spec'd 12.5 degrees BTDC and as we normally ran "ethyl" in it, I eased it up to 15 degrees BTDC with no issues (with the OEM-spec distributor centrifugal and vacuum advance settings).

You might also notice that the a/c compressor runs even with the inside control "OFF". This is normal on those cars. PM me for details.

The 400 2bbl, even back then, was a credible performer which would return decent fuel economy (for back then). The main issues were its lower compression ratio, when compared to the prior 383 2bbls, in its performance and fuel economy. ALSO, the Fuselage cars were about 200lbs heavier than the Slabs, which did not really help anything either, performance-wise.

Welcome and enjoy!
CBODY67

Geez. 13-15 mpg highway is considered normal for these. I know it’s not gonna be a Prius type but Lordy.
I like driving it occasionally 1-2 times a week to work which is around 60 miles one way. It definitely uses gas so I wanted to check to make sure it was normal.
I’ll have to calculate the mpg when I can afford to fill it up. Hah.
The previous owner replaced the carburetor. For what reasons I do not know.
I’ll get looking into the plugs. Thank you for that information.

So I’m really enjoying my 1973 Newport with the 400 big block.

Two questions, I’ve searched but didn’t find any.

What spark plug is suggested and does the electronic distributor need its cap replaced or is it good for a long time? (My first distributor car)

What is the expected MPGs out of these cars? I know it’s not gonna be a Prius but I would like to make sure it’s performing as expected.

12-15MPG, maybe a little more if you take it easy. I get 15 MPG with my '70 300 on my Carlisle trips and that's a 440 with the AC on and my heavy foot keeping it in the 75-80 MPH range a lot. Around town? I don't keep track, but it's less.

J14Y Champion or Autolite 85 (my preference)

The cap and rotor are good for a long time, of course it depends on your use. A couple thousand miles a year might take 10 (or more) years to wear it out.

Ok. What else you recommend doing to get the most of out of it. It’s a 400 with a two barrel for reference.

edit. I already have the manuals on cd but none of my devices have a cd ability

Ok. What else you recommend doing to get the most of out of it. It’s a 400 with a two barrel for reference.

edit. I already have the manuals on cd but none of my devices have a cd ability
Gas mileage?

You have a heavy car with a big v8 built when gas mileage didn't mean much. Basically keep it in tune and don't have a lead foot will get the best results.

As for "maximizing" gas mileage? Of course, keeping it in tune with good plugs and such is important. The compression ratio hurts is more than anything, I believe, being down in what used to be considered the "Export" range which would run on lower octane fuels overseas. The Holley 2210 family has better venturis for better fuel atomozation, but not in the EFI throttle body category.

Other things? Almost everything now uses a full-syn rear axle lube. Obviously, it is more viscosity stable in cooler weather than the normal rear axle lube. In the normal 85-90 viscosity range. Make sure the u-joints are lubed, too. And fresh grease in the front wheel bearings. Might even consider some of the newer full-syn Dexron-family atf, too? Or the appropriate Chrysler ATF+ fluids. I suppose the main thing with the full-syn fluids is that they "flow" quicker and easier when the vehicle has not been driven, rather than needing a few miles to get "loosened up". That "loosening up" takes extra fuel for those short times. Might not make that much difference in an older vehicle, but on a newer one where emissions are measured from "cold start", it can. Additionally, it might also take a bit less throttle to get things moving, which means "less fuel", too.

Driving patterns can make a difference, too. If you have access to a newer vehicle which has "Instant Fuel Economy" display in the driver info center, take it out for a drive with that readout on the DIC. Drive normally and see where the numbers go. You could well discover that a brisk accel up to speed, getting there a bitr sooner, then cruising, can use less total fuel rather than driving easy and spending longer times in the lower gears (at lower mpg levels).

I know that many in here might disagree, but tweak the adjutment on the kickdown rod to result in the trans getting into 3rd at about 30mph, rather than the "factory setting" which it too low to me, as it upshifts at a road speed which then puts all acceleration (until the part-throttle kickdown happens) "on the converter" rather than using "gears". This in itself, by observation, wakds things up a good bit, performance-wise. More accel with less throttle is the result. To try this out, without changing any adjustments, get a black plastic wire tie, probably about .10" wide, and loop it at the rear of the slot in the kickdown rod at the carb throttle stud. Then pull it tight and snip the remainder off. Efffectively, the same thing as the manual adjustment. See how that works on your car. If the min throttle 2-3 upshift is right at 30mph, that is good, presuming it has the normal 2.7 rear axle ratio and P225/75R-15 tires on it. For the optional 3.2 rear axle ratio and the same tire size, then aim for 25mph. KEY thing is to get that upshift so that after it happens, the engine speed is approx 1000rpm, which just works better than if it goes too low (factory setting) and then needs the converter's help for acceleration. I have done this on every Chrysler I have owned and it has not caused any issues. It was even recommended to me by an old-line Chrysler service manager on our '66 Newport 383 2bbl. On that linkage with the threaded rod, adding two full turns of the slotted section did the same thing. Just my experiences.

Of couirse, front end alignment can be important. Making sure the steering linkage is not worn, then using the "min-spec" for the toe-in adjustment, especially with radials. Minimizes rolling resistance, then making sure the tires are at 32psi inflation pressure.

The TWO things which affect on-road fuel economy more than anything else is wind resistance and weight. Weight resists acceleration/speed changes, especially in traffic situations. Wind resistance is just a part of the total mix, about which little can be done to improve fuel economy without major body work. Related to "weight" is driving style, too, which is where the observations when driving a new car (mentioned above) can come into play. Learn what the car likes and capitalizing on that usually works best, from my experiences. This is an evolving process, too.

When those cars were new, the main issues were exhaust emissions, which (at that time) meant a certain amount of "de-tuning" in order to reduce nitric oxide emissions, which also hurt fuel economy a bit. They were also at their best on the open roads at steady-state cruising modes. Which also meant the engines were running in the 2500rpm range with the 2.7 rear axle ratio.

IF it might be any consolation, during that timeframe, there were many GM and Ford mid-size V-8s that got less gas mileage than your Chrysler did. But as gas was a good bit less expensive back then, it was tolerated.

The other point of reference can be that when compared to a late-model GM 5.3L pickup, which usually averages 19mpg, plus all of the things it takes to get the vehicle so it will do that, 15-17mpg on trips is not that unreasonable. BTAIM

Just some thoughts and experiences,
CBODY67

Back