under dash wiring harness

davic

Reaction score
hi... i'm new to this forum,and pretty much to working on cars, and i've recently started my first project, and it seems that i'm lost already, and wondering if anyone has any advice for me...i'm working on a 1965 chrysler 300 convertible, and the under dash wiring harness was a complete mess, so i picked op a used , but in great condition, 1966 300 under dash wiring harness that i was told would fit the '65 chrysler...well it pretty much did, except when it came to the piece that fits into the driver's side firewall ...as you can see in the photos, the '65 harness is quite different from the '66 harness. i don't want to start cutting and trying to match colors until absolutely necessary...any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
part 3_a.JPG
part 2_a.JPG

As you have figured out by now, the '65 and '66? harnesses have a different firewall plug. There is no good fix for this except to find the correct '65 harness. Trying to splice the old plug on the the later harness will just leave you with another mess. If you got this from a wrecking yard you might want to look at the car it came out of and verify that it actually was a '66 harness. Not all the folks working in wrecking yards know what year car they are pulling parts from.

www.nationalmoparts.com sells replacement plugs, but the correct harness is still your best choice.

Dave

Best bet is buy a new harness from Evans or M&H.

But.... an alternative is to use what you have, provided everything is there.

The terminals have a tab that locks them into the plug. You can see the tab in this pic.

s-l500.jpg

With some sort of thin blade screwdriver or something like that, insert the blade into the plug to unlock the terminal and pull the wire and terminal out. Clean the terminal with some De-Oxit (get it at Amazon) and you may have to gently pry the tab up just a little to get it to lock in place in the other plug.

Real simple, just take your time and match the wires into the correct plug one at a time.

Grab factory service manuals for both year cars here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

The terminals have a tab that locks them into the plug. You can see the tab in this pic.

View attachment 206275

With some sort of thin blade screwdriver or something like that, insert the blade into the plug to unlock the terminal and pull the wire and terminal out. Clean the terminal with some De-Oxit (get it at Amazon) and you may have to gently pry the tab up just a little to get it to lock in place in the other plug.

Real simple, just take your time and match the wires into the correct plug one at a time.

Grab factory service manuals for both year cars here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

Someone down the road will surely appreciate the incorrect color codes on the wiring using this approach LOL, but it would get the OP back on the road assuming it all gets put back together right.

Dave

Someone down the road will surely appreciate the incorrect color codes on the wiring using this approach LOL, but it would get the OP back on the road assuming it all gets put back together right.

Dave
Chrysler did use some standard colors over the years, so it might not be a real problem... But yeah, it could drive someone nuts.

There are 2 1965 dash harnesses for sale on page 6 of Interior parts for sale. One NYER/no a/c and a Newport w/ a/c. I am selling these, so pm me if one can help you. The 300 one is gone.

View attachment 206275

Thanks, I'm going to follow your advice and SLOWLY match the colors to the '65 plug...I'll keep you informed how it goes..

Back