Unfreakin' believable wheel cylinder!

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
When I bought the 1970 Newport convertible 3-4 years ago It came with some "new" parts, purchased in 1990-91, among them were two front wheel cylinders and two front hoses. I finally got around to changing them. Unfortunately one had a fairly deep rust pit on the cylinder bore, so I bought a new one. Installed both, went to bleed them, one bled down no problem (the one recently purchased) the other sprayed fluid out "past" the new seals. So I disassembled it again and found some dry spots on the seal even though I had just lubed it. Put it back together, went to bleed, same thing! Repeat again, same results. I was ready to pop a seal! Took it to Edmonton brake and clutch, and the owner takes a look at it and says "that port should be more towards the middle". I installed it once more to verify, and sure enough that was it! So I bought another new one and had no problems. I just can't believe the lack of quality control, the hole on the dud is drilled at about 45 degrees, the good and the originals were closer to 55 degrees. Any one ever heard of these duds before? First pic is of the offender, second the new and third, the original. The port closer to the window is the hose port and you can see on the old one where the seals typically sit. The one on the dud is just about a quarter of an inch closer to the end facing the window. Just enough to make you incredibly frustrated. It's done now, just thought I'd share.
IMG_20180910_152057.jpg
IMG_20180910_152042.jpg
IMG_20180910_152020.jpg

When I bought the 1970 Newport convertible 3-4 years ago It came with some "new" parts, purchased in 1990-91, among them were two front wheel cylinders and two front hoses. I finally got around to changing them. Unfortunately one had a fairly deep rust pit on the cylinder bore, so I bought a new one. Installed both, went to bleed them, one bled down no problem (the one recently purchased) the other sprayed fluid out "past" the new seals. So I disassembled it again and found some dry spots on the seal even though I had just lubed it. Put it back together, went to bleed, same thing! Repeat again, same results. I was ready to pop a seal! Took it to Edmonton brake and clutch, and the owner takes a look at it and says "that port should be more towards the middle". I installed it once more to verify, and sure enough that was it! So I bought another new one and had no problems. I just can't believe the lack of quality control, the hole on the dud is drilled at about 45 degrees, the good and the originals were closer to 55 degrees. Any one ever heard of these duds before? First pic is of the offender, second the new and third, the original. The port closer to the window is the hose port and you can see on the old one where the seals typically sit. The one on the dud is just about a quarter of an inch closer to the end facing the window. Just enough to make you incredibly frustrated. It's done now, just thought I'd share.View attachment 212620 View attachment 212621 View attachment 212622
I’m guessing that the new cylinders you bought were Chinese. It shows how far they’ve come since ‘90-‘91, if those were indeed Chinese.

I’m guessing that the new cylinders you bought were Chinese. It shows how far they’ve come since ‘90-‘91, if those were indeed Chinese.

The ones from 90-91 only had part numbers in the casting. Oddly enough, both of the new ones purchased this year from two different suppliers, both had made in USA in the castings! There is hope.

Too bad you didn't call me -- I have the 1970 - 1972 Front Wheel Cylinders in Orignial O E M ++ MOPAR ++ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And some D.O.T. Brake Hoses -- and not "sunsong"...................

The Chinese have trouble reading technical specifications in English.

Dave

They have MORE trouble feeling motivated to give a **** about them. THAT is what infuriates moi about their slop. But if Chinese show sporadic concern about following SAE specs, I've found UTTER CONSISTENCY from India.... THEY CONSISTENTLY LAUGH AT ANY FOOL WHO THINKS THEY WILL EVER GIVE A **** IN HELL ABOUT FOLLOWING TECH SPECS! If its shiny looking and looks good, that's "kwollitee." The stamped pot-metal motor mounts they vend are par for their course.

Back