URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!!

SportFury70

Reaction score
You heard that right, $1.00 oil at Home Depot! It is the Pennzoil 5 QT 10W/40 High Mileage oil. I saw this on another forum I'm on and thought are you kidding is this a joke, so I went there this morning and brought one up to the cashier and sure enough it was $1.00. There were 5 on the shelf and needless to say I grabbed all 5, the total give or take came to about $5.35.

**This is a great deal, don't wait on it. These cost $15.00-20.00 for just one at Walmart**

Its not "crap", just outdated for modern day engine standards.
Like the tire companies, they cater to the broad market.
Supply and demand...
So assuming the oil company discontinuing their 10w40 blend would be a very good guess since there is no demand per se like it was 30 years ago. Thus not profitable and time to get rid of it.
Many of the cars and people that used to buy it regularly are probably no longer with us.

Okay is this real? I have read this on a few other sites and its like copy and paste...

Yes it's real, go to your local HD and find out for yourself. At first I couldn't believe it either until I got to the sale counter. I yours truly have posted it here, FBBO and Moparts

10-40 is crap? Please explain.
It's crap because it don't do what it's suppose to do, best it does is just a 10w oil when cold for cold starting but it's nowhere near a 40w when hot, just a relabeled 10/30w oil to give people more confidence so they will leave it in longer into the summer. Also it appeared around catalytic converter time as engines were running hotter due to emissions standards. Fire & Ice Shell brand, we had to use it the hydraulics of one tractor we sold (all hydraulic driven) my cheepazz co-worker had me save the oil when we did the required hourly fluid change. It's perfectly good he said, look at it "nice and clean" he then used it in his used van till the cam went flat/bad. He didn't (and I didn't) know about oil gear shear whereas the gear driven motors (6) would tear the molecules of the oil apart... (big grin) and that's why the service spec was to change it. fook'in laff. What's that Click & Clack saying about cheapskates?

It's crap because it don't do what it's suppose to do, best it does is just a 10w oil when cold for cold starting but it's nowhere near a 40w when hot, just a relabeled 10/30w oil to give people more confidence so they will leave it in longer into the summer. Also it appeared around catalytic converter time as engines were running hotter due to emissions standards. Fire & Ice Shell brand, we had to use it the hydraulics of one tractor we sold (all hydraulic driven) my cheepazz co-worker had me save the oil when we did the required hourly fluid change. It's perfectly good he said, look at it "nice and clean" he then used it in his used van till the cam went flat/bad. He didn't (and I didn't) know about oil gear shear whereas the gear driven motors (6) would tear the molecules of the oil apart... (big grin) and that's why the service spec was to change it. fook'in laff. What's that Click & Clack saying about cheapskates?

Then it was crap for decades and never did what it was supposed to do.
It just didnt work.
It was so crappy engineers for Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and others required it. And they had wet clutches, shared transmissions and turned 10k rpm.

Okay its true. I got 2 containers. One home depo had the 1$ tag on the shelf and was out and the other had 2 cans left advertised at 16$. What a great deal! Thx for posting!

Last edited:
Then it was crap for decades and never did what it was supposed to do.
It just didnt work.
It was so crappy engineers for Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and others required it. And they had wet clutches, shared transmissions and turned 10k rpm.
:rofl:

Do we really need to go down the Jap Bike blown engine lane? After my brand new Honda M/C ended up in the warranty shop for a blown/dead engine the 2nd time from spinning it up to it's supposed 10k redline I bought a Harley. Same riding style and 100k miles later... still running on all original internal engine components.

Do some of ya just wake up in the morning and just have to contradict someone to make your day?

And I can show ya thousands upon thousands of "Jap bikes" (don't get me started on all those Japanese and other foreign parts on Hardleys) that ran perfectly on the 10-40 required.
My point is, when someone makes an outrageous, unfounded claim that 10-40 oil is crap and doesn't work, there is empirical evidence to the contrary.
I noticed you woke up this morning in a contradictory mood. Lol

And I can show ya thousands upon thousands of "Jap bikes" (don't get me started on all those Japanese and other foreign parts on Hardleys) that ran perfectly on the 10-40 required.
My point is, when someone makes an outrageous, unfounded claim that 10-40 oil is crap and doesn't work, there is empirical evidence to the contrary.
I noticed you woke up this morning in a contradictory mood. Lol
Ummm remember the Quaker State recall? My 1976 Gran Fury Brougham was a victim... LOL

Granted maybe they got the refining/additives better over the decades but just go over to the Tube and visit the 'Customer States' videos and see all the sludged up engines... I'd even lay question as to the quality of the synthetics on the market today.

And BTW most of everyone in my motorcycling days from Z1's to 750 Sabers, Goldwing's never put on more than 3/4k miles on them let alone run them WOT, ya'kno marriage, kids, repair cost got in the way.

I'd take a 10w40 any day over garbage never good for anything 10w30
10w30 is not even good lawn mower oil.

My neighbor used to change the oil in his diesel RV after every trip.
I used his used Rotella for years.
Either that or Walmart 10-40....

"What's the best oil....." :BangHead:

Ummm remember the Quaker State recall? My 1976 Gran Fury Brougham was a victim... LOL

Granted maybe they got the refining/additives better over the decades but just go over to the Tube and visit the 'Customer States' videos and see all the sludged up engines... I'd even lay question as to the quality of the synthetics on the market today.

And BTW most of everyone in my motorcycling days from Z1's to 750 Sabers, Goldwing's never put on more than 3/4k miles on them let alone run them WOT, ya'kno marriage, kids, repair cost got in the way.

Ya weren't exposed to many Wingers, were ya?
And in 75 the Wing was only .2 second behind the Z1. I ran the crap out of my 75. When I sold it the thing had about 55k on it. Couldn't get carb parts for em back then.
And now 10-30 is crap.
As to the QS recall it wasn't due to the grade of the oil. The oil wasn't made properly and only select batches from two refineries due to a problem with the additive package received.
Other brands of 10-40 had no problems.
QS was a wax based oil, hence the sludging. My son worked at a oil change place. They used Pennzoil. Same problem with the sludge. He said you could tell a regular customer by looking at the bottom of the filler cap. They sold a lot of oil flush services.

Last edited:
Back