Value of a 440HP?

68NHP

Reaction score
I'm casually looking for a 440 High-Performance motor for my project (has a 383 now). Don't know if I should jump on this?

It's a 1968 440HP, bone stock and complete from air cleaner to oil pan. It's all there; it is currently in a car and runs and drives OK.

I was hoping for a date-coded motor--unfortunately this one was built 1 day after the car. Not sure if that would be a big deal since it's not the original motor anyway. Thoughts? (My project will be a show car, not a daily driver.)

I'm not current on the prices these sell for. What should I reasonably expect to pay?

IMG_4937.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

Any used engine is a core for a rebuild in my book.
$500.00.
Since it looks unmolested and runs......
$800.00.
If you are absolutely convinced you can drop it in and drive it for several years...
$1,250.00.
My first 440 and tranny out of a Winnebago was $350 total. :(

Any used engine is a core for a rebuild in my book.
$500.00.
Since it looks unmolested and runs......
$800.00.
If you are absolutely convinced you can drop it in and drive it for several years...
$1,000.00 TOPS not one penny more.
My first 440 and tranny out of a Winnebago was $350 total. :(

If that's his guideline he'll have to rebuild because it will just be a core unless he just get's lucky.

when did you get the 440 out of the winne?

If that's his guideline he'll have to rebuild because it will just be a core unless he just get's lucky.

when did you get the 440 out of the winne?
You'll see I adjusted my top price.
The Winni engine was about 11 years ago I think.

I was thinking the same Will

And it's got the HP exhaust manifolds, a carter of some sort and what appear to be correct valve covers

Generally speaking, cores are in the $500 to $700 range. I would probably pay more for a core that was standard bore. Lots of cores out there with repair liners, +.60 bores etc. Know what your are buying before you make an offer.
Dave

Generally speaking, cores are in the $500 to $700 range. I would probably pay more for a core that was standard bore. Lots of cores out there with repair liners, +.60 bores etc. Know what your are buying before you make an offer.
Dave

why did you quote me on that post?

btw it's an HP which doesn't mean anything but it's desirable to a lot of buyers, it looks to have the HP manifolds (~ $200), 68 VC (~ $75-to?), an apparently running carter of some type (~ $100 plus?).

p.s. forgot to add the value of the air cleaner. Assume the whole engine is being pursued top to bottom.

Last edited:
When I started writing, yours was the last post up.

Dave

That's cool Dave.

As a thought while I promote and endorse replying to / quoting who you are replying to wholeheartedly, as it makes reading posts much more meaningful if you are intentionally replying to a specific comment, but it's not really the best option if you simply have fresh input on the original post.

In that case I suggest not replying to the last quote, and instead adding a totally new quote by typing in the comment box at the bottom of the page as a separate comment in that case.

I used to get 440's running from $500-700, thought that was too much. I passed on a running 440 for $200 this spring, went to a kid, gotta keep the hobby going, right. Now cores are going for $700+ for an RV engine, infact the only running engine (not a fresh rebuilt) I've come across is an RV engine and wrong tailshaft 727 for $1200! I can got to Florida and get an engine for $650. Makes no sense. But I can trip over 727's for $100 a day long. Time to start rebuilding my core engines I guess.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I see now the price is too high on this one.

If its a show car why pull the original engine ? Leave it as is....please.
. The original engine is long gone.

Scott

That's cool Dave.

As a thought while I promote and endorse replying to / quoting who you are replying to wholeheartedly, as it makes reading posts much more meaningful if you are intentionally replying to a specific comment, but it's not really the best option if you simply have fresh input on the original post.

In that case I suggest not replying to the last quote, and instead adding a totally new quote by typing in the comment box at the bottom of the page as a separate comment in that case.

I remember a time I accidentally quoted and got the same chewing out. Some people get real worked up about it, better get it straight.

But anyway... since none of it is original, I don't see the dates or the HP adding much value if you are rebuilding it anyway.

I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for an HP engine as there is nothing special about them that can't be addressed by replacing internal parts that are replaced in the rebuilding process anyway.

The only exception might be if I was doing a "correct" appearing resto and an HP with all the Magnum or TNT specific external doodads came up and I needed them but then it's not just an engine you're buying at that point.

Kevin

Good points, Kevin. I want it to be correct-appearing, so I will need the HP manifolds, air cleaner, and whatever else that spec entails.

I'm not current on the prices these sell for. What should I reasonably expect to pay?

Just bear in mind that engine is in a B body, you'll need the specific C body drivers side exhaust manifold (or a very custom driver side header pipe) and the C body oil pan.

Robert

Back