valve covers on wrong side?

70Tom

Reaction score
OK, call me crazy but I think the previous owner put these valve covers on the wrong sides? Trying to put on my dual snorkel air cleaner I just refinished and the routing of hoses seems all wrong. The vacuum to the carb seems to be weird too. If they were on the other side, everything would route smoothly. Engine is a 440. Am I wrong?
GetFileAttachment-8.jpg

OK, call me crazy but I think the previous owner put these valve covers on the wrong sides? Trying to put on my dual snorkel air cleaner I just refinished and the routing of hoses seems all wrong. The vacuum to the carb seems to be weird too. If they were on the other side, everything would route smoothly. Engine is a 440. Am I wrong?
View attachment 106801

Have you date coded the block? My 72 440 in my 66 300 has the same configuration. Shape and spark plug wire brackets are correct. Here is an old pic of mine.
IMG_1681.JPG

Depends on what year that engine is.

Those are 1969 valve covers and in the correct locations for a 69 engine.

Depends on what year that engine is.

Those are 1969 valve covers and in the correct locations for a 69 engine.
Ah well there you go. It is a 69 engine. What do you recommend? Find some 70 valve covers or just route the hoses as they are and let it be? The 70 routing really does seem to be better.

Ah well there you go. It is a 69 engine. What do you recommend? Find some 70 valve covers or just route the hoses as they are and let it be? The 70 routing really does seem to be better.
Personal preference, really. I sourced a '70 air breather and valve covers for my '69 dated engine just to make it look right. If not I would use the '69 air breather and make it easy on yourself for hose routing.

Personal preference, really. I sourced a '70 air breather and valve covers for my '69 dated engine just to make it look right. If not I would use the '69 air breather and make it easy on yourself for hose routing.
I think I had a 70 single snorkel air breather on this prior, so the routing still sucked. haha. I'll eventually source out some 70 valve covers, I believe.

Depends on how "correct" you want things to be.

If all the wiring tabs are good on the existing covers, you won't have a problem selling them if you find the right ones.

Personally, I'd leave it like it is. You can't really swap the covers because the spark plug wire tabs on the left cover will point the wrong way and the wiring tabs (alternator wiring etc.) on the right will be on the left.

Depends on how "correct" you want things to be.

If all the wiring tabs are good on the existing covers, you won't have a problem selling them if you find the right ones.

Personally, I'd leave it like it is. You can't really swap the covers because the spark plug wire tabs on the left cover will point the wrong way and the wiring tabs (alternator wiring etc.) on the right will be on the left.
Yeah, that stinks. The biggest "issue" is routing the hose from the air cleaner to the oil housing tube. I think I'm going to have to route it under the throttle linkage. Otherwise, it look like it will sit on top of the linkage.

Yeah, that stinks. The biggest "issue" is routing the hose from the air cleaner to the oil housing tube. I think I'm going to have to route it under the throttle linkage. Otherwise, it look like it will sit on top of the linkage.
Or you can reinstall the covers correctly.

Ugh... missed that part. Apologies.
Personally, I would get another proper set then sell those.

Ugh... missed that part. Apologies.
Personally, I would get another proper set then sell those.
Yes, that is what I plan on doing. I have too many other things I need to buy for the car at the moment tho, so weird routing of the vacuum hose it'll be for the time being. Seems like they go for $250 and up from what I've seen....

That is, unless someone wants to do a trade 69 for 70 valve covers...:icon_fU:

I'm kind of curious about your linkage setup. Could you post a pic of that?

Back