Wrong thermostat housing?

darth_linux

Reaction score
Hi friends, I think I have the wrong thermostat housing and/or the wrong radiator hose. You can see the PO put a piece of rubber between the upper hose and the air conditioning compressor to keep the two from rubbing, and in the second picture I’m pointing to a part of the upper hose that got rubbed by the air cleaner snorkel. Do I have the wrong housing, the wrong hose or both. It’s a 66, 383 Newport with factory air-conditioning.

98D37AE5-A7DF-4C3D-97DC-D08678CECB86.jpeg

9219012D-61AB-41E9-A315-AF3D358F50F9.jpeg

Your hose is correctly configured with the correct thermostat housing. It might be that the thermostat housing end of the hose can be cut about 1/4" shorter and still work. The issue with the slice from the air cleaner snorkel is PO not positioning the air cleaner top correctly . . . "user problem".

In looking for new upper hoses, it looks to me that the E-body, B-body, and C-body hoses are the same hose. In many cases, there would be yellow ink lines on the hoses to "cut here" as needed for them to fit the application correctly, when comparing the new hose to the existing hose. Unless your hose leaks from that slice, do not worry about it.

As you might notice, the air cleaner top can be positioned as desired. NO tabs or such to align it with, so you can rotate it as you might desire. Same with the bottom. The correct snorkel position is at about 7:30, with the radiator cap being 6:00. Or between the a/c compressor and the radiator upper hose, centered between them.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Your hose is correctly configured with the correct thermostat housing. It might be that the thermostat housing end of the hose can be cut about 1/4" shorter and still work. The issue with the slice from the air cleaner snorkel is PO not positioning the air cleaner top correctly . . . "user problem".

In looking for new upper hoses, it looks to me that the E-body, B-body, and C-body hoses are the same hose. In many cases, there would be yellow ink lines on the hoses to "cut here" as needed for them to fit the application correctly, when comparing the new hose to the existing hose. Unless your hose leaks from that slice, do not worry about it.

As you might notice, the air cleaner top can be positioned as desired. NO tabs or such to align it with, so you can rotate it as you might desire. Same with the bottom. The correct snorkel position is at about 7:30, with the radiator cap being 6:00. Or between the a/c compressor and the radiator upper hose, centered between them.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
I think you looking at the wrong picture. The picture you are referring to is not the OP.

Looking at the top picture, not the lower one with no a/c compressor.

Every B/RB engine I've seen (since about 1965) or we have owned (since 1967) have all had the "straight-up" thermostat housing, rather than the one in the lower picture (without the a/c compressor). First time I've seen one which looks more like the reverse of a small block Chevy t-stat housing. Have I missed something somewhere?

Respectfully,
CBODY67

Looking at the top picture, not the lower one with no a/c compressor.

Every B/RB engine I've seen (since about 1965) or we have owned (since 1967) have all had the "straight-up" thermostat housing, rather than the one in the lower picture (without the a/c compressor). First time I've seen one which looks more like the reverse of a small block Chevy t-stat housing. Have I missed something somewhere?

Respectfully,
CBODY67
1967 seems to be the year it changed. The angled housing is 1966 and older. I haven't started looking at part numbers that deep, but I believe that housing will date back to 1961 and I believe it is for the A/C cars.

The part # for a '66 Chrysler with a "2" neck angle" (their terminology) is 1855605 and here's a link to an NOS housing. Mopar Factory Chrysler Dodge Plymouth Thermostat Outlet 1855605 NOS | eBay

The part number for a "3/4" neck angle" (again, their terminology) is 1855393 and an NOS housing on eBay NOS MoPar 1957-1966 Plymouth Dodge 273,361,413,426 CAST IRON WATER OUTLET V8 | eBay

Please note that neither one is straight and looking at the part number for the 426 Hemi is listed as 1855393 and we all know that the Hemi was not available with A/C.

IMHO, based on the following pics, the parts book, and some common sense, the 1855605 is correct for that '66 Chrysler with A/C.

This is a '64 Chrysler engine. One of the few I could find with A/C and a more visible housing.

187199_Engine_Web.jpg

Here's a '66 Chrysler, again with A/C and the housing isn't quite as visible, but you can see that it's not sticking straight up.

ebay519392.jpg

Here's a '63 Chrysler with A/C and again, not a great pic of the housing, but you can still see it.

161540_Engine_Web.jpg

1855393, the "3/4" angle" housing.

s-l1600.jpg

the 1855805 "2" angle housing"

s-l1600.jpg

In looking around, I found this and it may help to explain the angled housing. Seems the A/C compressor bracket changed in 1967. It tilted the compressor slightly for more clearance. This guy has a '66 A/C bracket and the hose has an interference with the compressor. It was cured with a '66 housing.

img-5209-jpg.1212579

img-5210-jpg.1212580

Later A/C bracket in a '68 Charger. It looks like the compressor sits more upright.

1969-dodge-charger-rt-se-9-jpg.1212315

In looking around, I found this and it may help to explain the angled housing. Seems the A/C compressor bracket changed in 1967. It tilted the compressor slightly for more clearance. This guy has a '66 A/C bracket and the hose has an interference with the compressor. It was cured with a '66 housing.

img-5209-jpg.1212579

img-5210-jpg.1212580

Later A/C bracket in a '68 Charger. It looks like the compressor sits more upright.

1969-dodge-charger-rt-se-9-jpg.1212315
That looks like the problem I have. The AC sits lower than ‘67 and up and is hitting the hose. I’m betting I have the 3/4 housing and need a “2” housing which also cure the problem with the snorkel hitting hose, as it will move the hose down and over. Thank you!

1966 FSM shows this one for all 383 and 440 engines.
The parts book shows both. I'd go by the parts book before a generic picture in the FSM that's used as an assembly guide.

Even if the "3/4" angle" was correct, it still isn't the straight, later housing shown in the OP's pictures. Chances are it's from an engine swap or a cracked housing and the incorrect housing got bolted on. Lot's of things happen in the 57 years since the car was built. The straight housing would work if the A/C brackets were changed to the later style.

From looking at the orientation of the 3/4' angle housing, I believe that it would put the hose right into the A/C compressor and therefore, wouldn't work at all. Here's a pic of the 3/4" housing on a '66 Newport without A/C. Note that it tips towards the front of the car, right where the A/C compressor would be.

196317_Engine_Web.png

The 2" angle housing is available as a Dorman replacement for under $30. Going by what I've seen, both in the field and with a little searching, the 2" angle housing would be my choice to correct the problem.

BTW, I think the 3/4" and 2" angle is the amount of offset in inches from vertical.... But that's kind of a educated WAG at best.

T-Stat housing.jpg

I checked the part number on the hose and it's for a '67 and up.

So... Just for laughs, I punched in '66 Chrysler thermostat housing into eBay and came up with a bunch of these!

Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing Fits 1959-1966 Chrysler New Yorker Dorman | eBay

View attachment 580436

Then I shamelessly stole @Ripinator 's pic of one of his '66 that he has for sale. No A/C but I'll bet the housing would work.

dscf2445-jpg.529654

John: Hope I'm not throwing a monkey wrench into this discussion, but that engine is actually a 400 cu. in B engine. However, Bill @traintech55 may be able to comment on the setup in the picture. Here is a phot of my other '66 (also for sale). It has a 440 TNT engine:

1675604192038.jpeg

John: Hope I'm not throwing a monkey wrench into this discussion, but that engine is actually a 400 cu. in B engine. However, Bill @traintech55 may be able to comment on the setup in the picture. Here is a phot of my other '66 (also for sale). It has a 440 TNT engine:

View attachment 580560
Not at all... I used the pic because it was a clear shot of the 2" angle thermostat housing.

It looks like it has a larger radiator with the top inlet more towards the right of the car. That could mean an "Extra cooling" or it's an A/C car with the A/C stuff removed, but I'm speculating here.

The parts book shows both. I'd go by the parts book before a generic picture in the FSM that's used as an assembly guide.

Even if the "3/4" angle" was correct, it still isn't the straight, later housing shown in the OP's pictures. Chances are it's from an engine swap or a cracked housing and the incorrect housing got bolted on. Lot's of things happen in the 57 years since the car was built. The straight housing would work if the A/C brackets were changed to the later style.

From looking at the orientation of the 3/4' angle housing, I believe that it would put the hose right into the A/C compressor and therefore, wouldn't work at all. Here's a pic of the 3/4" housing on a '66 Newport without A/C. Note that it tips towards the front of the car, right where the A/C compressor would be.

View attachment 580559
The 2" angle housing is available as a Dorman replacement for under $30. Going by what I've seen, both in the field and with a little searching, the 2" angle housing would be my choice to correct the problem.

BTW, I think the 3/4" and 2" angle is the amount of offset in inches from vertical.... But that's kind of a educated WAG at best.

View attachment 580558
I'm definitely going to get the 2" offset housing and install that this spring. Then I'll be able to orient the air cleaner correctly and not have the AC compressor rub the hose. Thanks for doing so much leg work!

Hi friends, I think I have the wrong thermostat housing and/or the wrong radiator hose. You can see the PO put a piece of rubber between the upper hose and the air conditioning compressor to keep the two from rubbing, and in the second picture I’m pointing to a part of the upper hose that got rubbed by the air cleaner snorkel. Do I have the wrong housing, the wrong hose or both. It’s a 66, 383 Newport with factory air-conditioning.

View attachment 580431

View attachment 580432
d0 u have a copy of the factory parts book? emaiil me ar kaomekatsbcglobal.net then i wil give u my phone # & we can try to talk u through this . i have a few ideas but it will b easyer to talk hat emails. i think u r missing a shield

Back