Vent window crank

Timmayy

Reaction score
My 67 Fury has the hand crank front vent windows. When I crank them it doesn't feel like it's engaging but I can move the vent window open or closed depending on the position of the crank by hand. The crank will still lock them closed as long as I move the window by hand. Before I remove the door panel and hardware, is this an easy fix or will I need to find parts?

Sounds like a stripped gear, you’ll need parts.

That's what I was thinking, broken or cracked gear. Usually accompanied by a loud grinding sound or the crank skipping teeth, although that doesn't seem to be the case here. I think all of the C-Body cars share the same manual regulator parts if memory serves, at least 67-68 are the same, as those two years are very similar parts-wise. You could probably find a replacement on the forums here from a parts car, way cheaper than eBay.

Between the gear and the vent window there is a pivot and pin. Sometimes when forced it gets stretched or broken.
Here is always a "gap" when opening/closing the vent window regardless.

I'm thinking the plate on the back of your regulator has come loose or pushed off. It's not a uncommon thing and is repairable.. Your going to at least have to remove the trim panel.

Here is how I repaired mine......
You may need to feel around the bottom of the door to find the plate is it had come off.

Before.......
dsc05282-jpg.jpg

After....

dsc05376-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking the plate on the back of your regulator has come loose or pushed off. It's not a uncommon thing and is repairable.. Your going to at least have to remove the trim panel.

You may need to feel around the bottom of the door to find the plate is it had come off.

Before.......
View attachment 499148
After....

View attachment 499147
Cool fix!

More than likely it's stripped gears, that's what I found on my 66 300. The gears are made of cast aluminum and break if you lean on the crank too hard while trying to close the vent. If you are lucky it blew out the plate as with the previous post. I believe they are the same from 65-68 B and C bodies. It's on my to do list so if you find an extra left side vent regulator let me know. And of course if you get yours fixed be careful with it in the future.

reg.PNG

On my 1968's I've had the round pressed/pinched/staked on disc pop off resulting in the same problem. Easy fix, but while you have it out disassemble clean & lube the whole unit and carefully pinch/stake the disc back on but be careful as the case is white metal and breaks easily.

ROUND.DISC.VENT.CRANK.jpg

Before.......
View attachment 499148
After....

View attachment 499147
So was their threaded studs and you just drilled and tapped holes for bolts?

My car had been in long time storage. The rubber seal in the vent frame had "curled" over and the glass did not seat well causing someone in the past to try to force it closed with the crank causing the rivets to Strech and break. I had to correct the seal issue also.

How did you correct the seal issue?

A portion of the seals vertical lip/edge had curled, so I folded it back to it's original shape, closed the vent glass onto it and let it sit in the sun. I also didn't open that vent wing for 6 months. Alls fine now.

Last edited:
Back