image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I posted about this yard crushing out awhile back. They had trouble getting started becuase of covid. Now there full steam ahead. I saved what I could. I made many calls to try and save as much cars and parts as possiable. There was about 700 cars at this yard. 400 50s60s70s cars and about 300 crap cars. There was over 100+ 58-66 thunderbirds,100 50s-70s caddys 50 Lincolns,150 misc buicks,chryslers,
Cars could be bought cheap,but were difficult to get to.
Now, the crusher is there and they will all gone soon.
That is a factory red 73 imperial sunroof coupe on top stack. I was going to nab fender tag,but it was too dangerous to climb stack.

I suspect that if the cars had been treated like "merchandise with value", they wouldn't have been carelessly stacked like wood? Which further diminished their ultimate value, except as scrap.

Lots of "weight" in those pictures! Lots of $$$$, possibly, too. Land value and EPA ground-contamination rules could well be an issue. As the owner just wanting to do something else, too?

Thanks for the pictures,
CBODY67

The yard itself is getting $100 per ton. Crusher operator probably same. $200 per ton. They are dense hay bailed squares. Impressive but sad to watch. Old time yard owner never really wanted to sell anything over the years. Had a stroke one morning. Yard was located in California,but in a coastal salt fog air area. Some cars had been sold by liquidators. I bought a few myself. Big M auto bought a few. Tons of parts. Very overwhelming to deal with. There is a barn with a 100+ interesting better kept cars in it. I will try to get some pics of those.
Widow just wants cars gone. No sons to keep it running. I tried to buy yard in early 90s but could not come to an agreement. Greedy real estate people just want to list it.
Tons of good parts going to waste. Common story really. These kind of yards are getting fewer and fewer. California has closed most of them down. Most large yards are now owned by China.

I hate seeing old iron die like this. Looks like a lot of good parts lost....

...EPA...

That is what has killed nearly all of our old yards. At least the ones operating as a business. The private yards who sell parts on the side are untouched.

From what I've seen in the DFW area, there were many "formerly on the fringes" salvage yards from the '60s that were enveloped into population growth areas. An observed scenario, many times over. Even if some were in a less-valuable part of town (one in Dallas, in particular), the land eventually became too valuable AND the long-time owners took their "windfall" offer for the land, AND went on to do something else in their later years.

There was an old-line salvage yard near me and my work. I found many parts there. The owner would give me the key to the back lot, to get in, and I'd put everything in heavy plastic bags, and show him what I'd gotten. He tell me ang price and I'd pay up. Quite FUN!

He had to put concrete on top of the ground to meet/mitigate the ground contamination issues (old oil leaking from the cars and such). When those paths were covered, then he had to move the cars onto them and do the remaining exposed soil. The concrete was "rough poured", but it made the yard much more "all weather", too.

The yard was located on the west side of an emerging municipality and on the east side of the "main town", so he was caught in the middle. Obviously, the yard could have possibly been grandfathered-in, but when the owner passed away, his son let things settle down and then the yard was put up for sale. Being purchased by one of their good friends and the place is now under development.

End result, it takes more time to find older salvage yards and more time to get to them. Their numbers are dwindling, unfortunately. Several years ago, a Buick-only yard in Carrier, OK sold out and crushed out. BUT interested people were advised of this well before it happened. Which gave the customers a chance to build a shopping list and get it done. Increased land prices, no interest in keeping things going by the/any offspring, and owner retirement are usually key factors in these deals.

There are still some older yards in a 100-200 mile radius of DFW. Most have been there for years. Off the beaten path a bit.

The OTHER issue is the rise of the repro parts business, but usually for "popular" cars. Some of the older yards have branched out into Internet sales to stay alive. Which makes people like Murray Park even MORE valuable to our Chrysler-oriented hobby!

We usually never like to see automotive memories become crushed sheet metal, but if the yard owner is more concerned about "weight" of the bodies, then the metal becomes a mere commodity, whose value can rise and fall. When times get tough, many yards pick the less popular and heaviest vehicles to crush. A good yard, by comparison, keeps the inventory "turning" several times a year. Possibly, an even better dismantler will remove valuable items and resell them!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back