Vintage Chrysler Corp dealership pics

qw29.jpg

Northland Chrysler (Plymouth/Imperial) Dodge Jeep Ram, Oak Park Michigan suburb just across "8 Mile Road" from Detroit. (yes, the "8 Mile" of Marshall Mathers fame :))

BEFORE, Circa mid 1960's (Already posted in #35)
View attachment 81684

CIRCA 2015 (Same building, obviously remodeled)
View attachment 81685

btw, metro detroit area of FULL of these "before and afters" of vintage dealerships. could do a whole thread on this city's dealerships alone .. illuminating and interesting, but a bit depressing too as it reflects the city's long decline. Things are looking up though :)

Worked there as a car porter one summer mid '70s break from college.

Dad was 26 yrs old and lead body design on these before he went Chrysler. I believe he commuted to Lansing working on this car.
Come to think of it.
Those cars were built at Willow Run Assembly (the ex bomber plant Ford built during WWII) right next to the W.R. Airport.

The Monaco was originally purchased in fall of 64 at Padre Dodge, San Diego, Kalifornia.
I think the dealer was on Camino Del Rio Ave.
Since i have not found any info on dealer i thought maybe someone here might have better google skills.

A Friend found these old clippings. The dodge dealer is still around. Must have been a fun drivers Ed class. Although Kugell was also the police chief as well, so maybe not as fun.

FB_IMG_1514728892835.jpg
FB_IMG_1514722346284.jpg

I'm playing catch up here and saw this photo posted by Stan.
Lunt Motors in Cedar City Utah. My (EX) 64 crew cab was bought new there by an employee at the time. Last I heard Lunt motors was still in business, but no longer a Chrysler dealer. Mr Lunt, at 84, still unlocked the door every morning as of three years ago.

picsart_06-20-01-36-19-jpg.jpg

64 crew cab at dealership (Small).JPG
64 crew cab salesorder (Small).JPG

I bought the 64 crew cab in 05 after losing the bidding on ebay. The winning bidder turned out to be a deadbeat bidder and the frustrated seller, (in Cedar City), contacted me. I ended up buying it for less then I had bid, sight unseen.
I shipped a tool box and license plate via UPS and flew there. Bought a set of tires, changed the oil and drove it 2200 miles back to North Carolina, 98% secondary roads. Had to get a jump at 4 corners and bought a new battery in Durango Colorado. What a trip.

Last edited:
The truck was my daily driver for over 10 years. I have a good friend who tried everything to get it from me. I would not sell. He offered some very nice Mopar trades that were tempting but I held onto my crew cab. Then one day I went to visit him and he showed me his newest offering. It was Virgil. We traded straight up and I drove Virgil the 180 miles back home.
He still has the crew cab and I have the right of first refusal should it be for sale. Hasen't happened yet, and it doesn't look he's ready to part with it anytime soon.

Jezebel 4 to metal shop.JPG

Syracuse guy here! All my life too. I'm not sure what you want to know.

That area is called "automobile row" for all the car dealers that are along there.

I don't believe the address is correct. I looked it up and 917 is where the Lewis Goodman Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial dealer was. They opened in 1960 and got their franchise pulled in 2009 after the government deal. Goodman Service: A spark from the glory years on Automobile Row

Goodman's store was Rusterholtz-Rusell and they sold Chrysler, Plymouth, Willys and even Franklins. BTW, Franklins were built about a mile from that dealership.

Just down the street, where Lowery is (or was), is a historic building. Was Forsyth motors for a long time too.

View attachment 130841

Back