Vintage NASCAR

[video]https://youtu.be/_1hgVcNzvzY?t=201[/video]

Always wondered Is this some NASCAR celebrity with the field of wrecks behind at 3:21?
Not familiar with newer NASCAR and only a Little up to the 60s as a European.

[video]https://youtu.be/_1hgVcNzvzY?t=201[/video]

Always wondered Is this some NASCAR celebrity with the field of wrecks behind at 3:21?
Not familiar with newer NASCAR and only a Little up to the 60s as a European.
That is Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the video.

Legandary USAC & ARCA driver. I think this is a Kit Car. I remember reading an article in a magizine many years ago about him & the Kit Car program
Yes, it is a kit car. He had 2, one was a Volare, the other started as a Volare then became a Dodge Diplomat and then a Mirada. He bought one of them from Norm Nelson when Nelson's team switched from Mopar to AMC. As you can kinda see in this picture, Sal has taken a few liberties with the "aero package" of his Plymouth. USAC always gave a bit more lee way in that area. This picture was probably 1980 or 81. By then USAC was happy to have another car in the field. Thanks for the great pictures!!! Please keep them coming!!!

Last edited:
That looks like his son Kyle helping load the Charger & Richards late wife Linda watching
Looks like about '72? I think Kyle would have been younger than that guy, but it sure looks like his hair from when he started!!!!

I like the Challenger in the background (or is it a Barracuda?) Doesn't the owner know that leaving that road crap on there is gonna ruin the lower quarters of what could someday have been a cool mid 5 figure Panther Pink hemi clone? <sarc off>
Once again great picture!!

Last edited:
Looks like about '72? I think Kyle would have been younger than that guy, but it sure looks like his hair from when he started!!!!

I like the Challenger in the background (or is it a Barracuda?) Doesn't the owner know that leaving that road crap on there is gonna ruin the lower quarters of what could someday have been a cool mid 5 figure Panther Pink hemi clone? <sarc off>
Once again great picture!![/QUOTE

yep you're right. Kyle would have been younger. Maybe it's Boris Said ...LoL

Greenville Speedway

Greenville-Pickens speedway 1970. This was the first ever live flag to flag televised race. Won by Bobby Isaacs on the #71 Dodge

image.jpg

Charlie & Lee Roy

"Chargin" Charlie Glotzbach gets a litte loose in the Charger while racing Lee Roy Yarborgh in the Torino

image.jpg

looks like Lee Roy was pinching him down just a little...I love that you can see their arms and hands. tells a story

Yes it does. Lee Roy was aggressive. Petty & Pearson where sly. Many others would use their stuff up

In the late 60's & throug out the 70's I would listen to the races on the radio. MRN the Motor Racing Network. Which was owned by Nascar. Then the ABC's Wide World of Sports would show some of the race. Then some ice skating & then some duck hunting LoL. Thats where I learned to cuss when they would break away from the race. Turn the radio back on

Jeez, I had forgotten about wide world of sports. Jackie Stewart talking about Bonnets and wind screens.

In the late 60's & throug out the 70's I would listen to the races on the radio. MRN the Motor Racing Network. Which was owned by Nascar. Then the ABC's Wide World of Sports would show some of the race. Then some ice skating & then some duck hunting LoL. Thats where I learned to cuss when they would break away from the race. Turn the radio back on

Jeez, I had forgotten about wide world of sports. Jackie Stewart talking about Bonnets and wind screens.

I kinda miss Jackie. Always liked him. Im not so sure I miss the Wide World of Sports. The agony of defeat & that poor ski jumper crashing every weekend

Buddy Baker in his Petty Dodge leads Bobby Allison, can't recall 3rd, Fred Lorenzen in the red Plymouth. Further back just entering the turn is Isaac, Hamilton & Petty

That 3rd place car might be Tiny Lund. Kinda looks like his colors

Harry Hyde

Harry Hyde was one of the great crew chiefs. He was Bobby Isaacs CC when Isaac won the Nascar Championship in 1970. He also was the CC when he & Isaacs & the K &K insurance team took the #71 Charger Daytona to Bonniville & set many records with it. After a bit of a break he returned in the mid 80's & was the CC for the late Tim Richmond. The Movie Days of Thunder had Robert Duvall who basically played the role of Harry Hyde.

bi16.jpg

bi18.jpg

bi19.jpg

Harry & Tim

And he comes back to Help Tim Richmond. All 3 of these great racers are no longer with us. Isaacs, Hyde & Richmond. All left us way to early

bi20.jpg

bi21.jpg

Back