Vintage NASCAR

Wing cars

David Pearson in the draft. The other Ford on the inside is likely being laped

image.jpg

Cotton & David

David Pearson in Cotton Owens Dodge. Cotton also built a Hemi Dart wagon for David to drag race in

image.jpg

Wind tunnel

Ok the Wing Cars are gone. The Pettys & Chrysler engineers working in the wind tunnel on the 71 Road Runner

image.jpg

Dover 1971

Buddy Baker in his Petty Dodge leads Bobby Allison, can't recall 3rd, Fred Lorenzen in the red Plymouth. Further back just entering the turn is Isaac, Hamilton & Petty

image.jpg

Now this is drafting

The late Buddy Baker in his Petty Enterprises Charger pushing the Petty RoadRunner. Teamwork

image.jpg

Ed Negree

Long time independent Ed Negree. Always ran Dodges. This is his Magnum after the race in Martinsville in 1978

image.jpg

1962 Plymouth

Petty rim ridding in the high grove. In 62-63 The Pettys ran single 4 barrel 413 Max Wedge engines on the super speedways. NASCAR only allowed 1 carb. On the short tracks they ran low deck engines.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sal Tovella

Legandary USAC & ARCA driver. I think this is a Kit Car. I remember reading an article in a magizine many years ago about him & the Kit Car program

image.jpg

Hershel go's to LeMans

He took his Hemi powered Dodge Charger to LeMans 24 hour race in France in the early 70's. It was a crowd favorite as the big heavy Hemi struggled in the turns it rumbled down the straights. The European race fans had never seen or heard anything like it & loved it. There is some good video of this car restored & taken back to LeMans to run in a nostalgia race on Youtube. Watching this car run against the Porsches & Ferarri's was like watching a big lineman pick up a fumble & rumble & Stumble his way to the end zone

image.jpg

image.jpg

I connected McGriff with racing of the 40s-60s. His later Engagements completely escaped me.
We had a former Le Mans winner (1960) by the Name of Paul Frere who was still test driving mostly Porsches in his late 80s, actually driving his private 911 till his death at 91. He gave up motorcylces at the request of his wife in his late 80s IIRC.

Cotton Owens

Cotton was a Hemi man. That's him leaning over the fender of his 64 Dodge. This pic is supposed to be from the 64 Daytona 500. I think David Pearson was his driver then. Cotton retired as a car/team owner shortly after NASCAR banned the Hemi after the 73 season. He continued to build cars & engines and service others racers for many years at his shop in Spartinsburg, SC. Cotton was inducted in the NASCAR hall of fame last year. Well deserved!

image.jpg

The open trailer days

Richard was one of the first to have a box truck for his tools & spare parts. Yet he was still using an open trailer as seen in this pic

image.jpg

Back