Vintage NASCAR

Pete & Dick Brooks

Ok Nascar history fans. This is a super interesting pic. The Super Birds & Winged Daytona's where still legal in 1971, but only with a 305 max cube engine. They 305's came over from the SCCA Trans Am series. Brooks fielded a winged car with the 305 T/A engine (destroked 340 T/A) note the cubic inches on the hood. 426 for Pete's Road Runner & 305 for Dicks wing car. Brooks lead much of the race at Talledega that year & was clearly the faster car even with the tiny small block. However it didnt hold up & blew up spelling the end of the wing cars in Nascar. Legandary drag racer Keith Black built & helped develope the 305 T/A engines with many custome parts.

p10.jpg

Last edited:
Pete & the Kit Car

Pete also helped develop & test the Kit Car short track program. You could buy a dirt track car right out of a factory catalog from Direct Connection. Chrysler performance arm

p4.jpg

Thanks for the great pics. Petty & Pearson was one of my favorite rivalries when I was a kid. I was a Petty fan because he drove a Plymouth like my dad and my buddy liked Pearson because his dad drove a Mercury. Those were the days.

Little 305 LA T/A

Ok Nascar history fans. This is a super interesting pic. The Super Birds & Winged Daytona's where still legal in 1971, but only with a 305 max cube engine. They 305's came over from the SCCA Trans Am series. Brooks fielded a winged car with the 305 T/A engine (destroked 340 T/A) note the cubic inches on the hood. 426 for Pete's Road Runner & 305 for Dicks wing car. Brooks lead much of the race at Talledega that year & was clearly the faster car even with the tiny small block. However it didnt hold up & blew up spelling the end of the wing cars in Nascar. Legandary drag racer Keith Black built & helped develope the 305 T/A engines with many custome parts.

CORRECTION: The car was entered in the 71 Daytona 500 & finished 2 laps down due to a collision. The little 305 held up. I had always heard it had blown up. Should have done a little more research. Car owner Mario Rossi decided to park the car largely due to the expense of the 305 T/A engine

image.jpg

image.jpg

Baker won the National 500 in 1967, breaking Petty's 10 win streak.

Done in Ray Fox's 67 Charger!

Dick Brooks 305 inch Daytona

The 71 Daytona 500 Here the little A engine is mixing it up with the big block Plymouths & Mercurys

db 6.jpg

Brooks & Bobby Allison

Racing Bobby Allison who also drove for Mario Rossi. Both cars where painted red & gold. Not sure if this (Allison)was Rossi car, but if not I bet he helped out on it a lot

db 3.jpg

The crash that changed Nascar forever

The Daytona was in the hunt for the race win. Running very good. Brooks got loose & here comes Pete Hamilton. And that was the end of the Wing cars. Mario Rossi fielded this car to be spitefull to Big Bill France who ran Nascar. They didnt like each other. Rossi felt he made his point & returned to regular Hemi cars for the remainder of the season. Had he had the money to buy & develop the 305 T/A engines he would have continued to stick his thumb in France's eye.

db1.jpg

Db 2.jpg

he still finished 7th that day. there is an old article on allpar about the entire history of Chrysler in NASCAR. this story is in at the end. here is the link http://www.allpar.com/racing/dodge-nascar.html its lengthy and been around for a few years so probably you have seen it.

The Daytona was in the hunt for the race win. Running very good. Brooks got loose & here comes Pete Hamilton. And that was the end of the Wing cars. Mario Rossi fielded this car to be spitefull to Big Bill France who ran Nascar. They didnt like each other. Rossi felt he made his point & returned to regular Hemi cars for the remainder of the season. Had he had the money to buy & develop the 305 T/A engines he would have continued to stick his thumb in France's eye.

The King & his court

As usual, following the King. That's Cale Yarborough in the Malibu behind Richard & Bobby Allison in the Matador behind Cale

image.jpg

Winston Race Stoppers

Anyone remember The Winston Race Stoppers ? When the rest of the country was excited about the Dallas Cowboys cheer leaders. I had posters of Race Stoppers on my wall.

image.jpg

Back