Vintage NASCAR

3 of the best

David Pearcon in the #21 Mercury Cougar. Buddy Baker in the #15 Ford Torino & Richard Petty # 43 Dodge Charger trying to drive under both of them to pass

bb2.jpg

Ahhhhhh those were the days of great racing and great cars.... what happened? Thanks for the pics guys and keep em coming!

Buddy Arrington

One of my all time favorite drivers. Martinsville, Virginia's Buddy Arrington. Sponsored by Kentucky Fried Chicken no less. I'm jealous.

image.jpg

Buddy racing

Here he is racing with Richard Petty his pal & not sure on the green Ford. Thinking Henley Grey? Note Buddy driving a 73-4 Plymouth B body

image.jpg

I like that Imperial. Did they run different suspension then or was he having to run with the bent t bars?

I like that Imperial. Did they run different suspension then or was he having to run with the bent t bars?

I know he didn't run bent (transverse bars) I think it was his old Magnum that was reskined as a Mirada & then an Imperial. So pretty sure it had a Petty style front stub. Coil overs where legal & had Richard gone back to Dodge he would have reskined his GM cars & run 4 corner coils

Buddy & Cecil Gordon

Buddy # 67 Plymouth & Cecil Gordon #24 Monte Carlo ( no relation to Jeff Gordon) 1974 Michigan

image.jpg

Buddy & Richard Childress

Michigan 1980. Buddy in his Magnum he bought from Richard Petty & Childress in the #3 CRC chemicals Monte Carlo

image.jpg

Joe Milikan

Joe worked for the Pettys. He drove their dirt track car at many local/regional dirt tracks. Helped out with the Kit Car. He wanted a shot at big time racing. Here he is in an old Petty Charger. This was in 1978 I remember he ran 2 races & did very good. He may have run more. I think he got a ride a few years later in a GM car for a few races too. Richard needed to get Kyle started & Joe was odd man out.

1978 Joe Millikan.jpg

Bobby Issacs

Now I'm a hugh Petty fan, but I got to tell ya Isaacs was a darn close second. This cat was just plain cool. Had a bit of Steve McQueen in him. He did Dodge TV comercials locally. Race a Hemi Wing car. Took it to Bonneville & set records there with it. Absolutely miss him. From Cataba, NC (near Winston Salem). He was very popular & left us way too early.

bi17.jpg

Issacs's early days

Got his first big break in Indiana's Ray Nichols Dodge. Teamd up with a more experienced AJ Foyt in a Plymouth. Here racing against Pettys Plymouth.

bi10.jpg

Back