Vintage NASCAR

They would put tape over the lights back in the day. Then take it off after the race & drive home

Marty Robbins
image.jpg
image.jpg

Fierce rivals Bobby Allison driving Junior Johnson's Monte Carlo & Richard Petty In the family owned Charger. I think this was at Martinsville, Va
image.jpg

Boys will be boys right?
Ok I have two stories for you. I stumbled on this LONG video about vintage NASCAR. They talked about feudes. And two in particular. The first. Lee Petty & Tiny Lund. Lee & Tiny didnt get along. Well one day at driver intro as Tiny was walking off the stage Lee was walking on. As the two men meet they bumped shoulders & some verbal jawing lead to an all out brawl. Tiny (who was a big man) was getting the best of Lee (who was about average) so a young Richard Petty came to his dads defense. Well that didn't go too well as Tiny was getting the best of both of them. So Maurice, Lee's other son also joined in. That didn't go well either as now Tiny was single handly getting the best of the Petty clan. All of em. Well Richards wife Linda rushed over & smacked Tiny "up side his head" with her pocket book. Tiny not wanting to hit a woman decided he had taught them Pettys a lesson & that was that.
tl5.jpg

The pic is Tiny playing around with Chicago's Tiger Tom Pistone

Last edited:
Tiny & the Pettys kiss & make up. Here Tiny is kidding around with Richard Petty & Lee Roy Yarborugh. Lee Roy was a bit of a hot head too
tl2.jpg

Last edited:
Story #2 Ok the Pettys made up with Tiny Lund. But Alabama's (by way of Flordia) Allisons where up & comming & found the Pettys in their way. They fueded often. Traded a lot of paint. Well one day Donnie Allison in a Factory Ford was Racing Richard in factory Plymouth hard. Real hard. Near the end of the race they got together & Donnie got the worse of it. Richard went on to win. Well this fan in the stands was so upset about it that he went to victory lane to confront Richard. Well verbal jawing lead to another bad deal. The fan came after Richard & Maurice Petty grabbed Richards helmet & smacked the guy on his head. Apparently knocking him out. Maurice was fiestly & a hard driven work ethic. He was difficult to work with if you didnt know how to take him. Here is the historic pic of the moment just before the fan took his nap. Also after this and a few other bad wrecks Richard talked to Bobby (leader of the Alabama gang) & told him that if they didnt burry the hatchet that someone could get killed. So Bobby agreed. They never where best friends, but they did get along & never had anymore problems
mp1.jpg

Last edited:
Maurice Petty was inducted in the NASCAR hall of fame. Here is a pic of Richard sharing a moment with his brother at the cere
mp2.jpg
mony

One more story. In 1972 as a young kid (10 or 11) dad & some friends of his took me to the Nascar race at Rockingham, NC. They would hold church service on the starting line in those days. Everyone was encouraged to attend. So I'm sitting there & I see this tall lanky guy with dark sunglasses walking toward me. Had STP patches on his hat & jacket. Well I knew imediately it was Richard Petty. He sat down on the track right directly behind me. Well then Bobby Allison walked up and sat right beside him. I was shocked. Even as a kid I was aware these two didnt like each other. So I guess this was after they had made the truce. Anyway I kept looking back at them during the whole service. I dont think I heard a word the preacher said. All these years & I still remember that day. I think Bobby won in the Junior Johnson Coca Cola Monte Carlo.

Back