Vinyl top and rust

josehf34

Reaction score
According to my fury 74 previous owner the car had a nice black vinyl top but he removed it because he was worried about the rust. I Would love to have again that nice black vinyl top but some people said to me that vinyl top equals to rust, no care if the vinyl top has regular or premium quality, it doesn't matter and the rust will appear

What do the experts think? Is possible to have vinyl top without rust problems?

Its more to do with how well the steel is sealed first underneath against rust, when the cars were built they didn't want to waste extra paint on the roof and left them bare before putting the vinyl on.

If the roof is prepped and the top is installed properly it should be fine. Owning a 68 Monaco 500 with one I freely admit my bias. Vinyl roofs are an attractive vintage accessory worthy of restoration.

Vinyl top cars were not fully painted under the vinyl at the factory. I you have your heart set on replacing the top just make sure you properly prep and paint the whole roof and pay particular attention to the seams. If you do this you won't have any rust issues for at least your lifetime.

Paint needs to be fully cured before glue is applied or it will lift, yes i had this happen, so I got a failed practice round.

Paint needs to be fully cured before glue is applied or it will lift, yes i had this happen, so I got a failed practice round.

True, and make sure the paint is a good quality catalyzed paint. I finished painting a customers 71 Challenger a few months ago and it probably won't get the new vinyl put on for at least a couple more so I'm safe there.

LETS not leave out the possibility of your car being garaged and cared for. My 71 has no bubbles under the white vinyl and the car has been garaged all its life. If your car has been left outside its entire life or will be left out after reinstalling vinyl then the chances are high its gonna rust. Of course as previously mentioned preparation is important.

True, and make sure the paint is a good quality catalyzed paint. I finished painting a customers 71 Challenger a few months ago and it probably won't get the new vinyl put on for at least a couple more so I'm safe there.

Chris, what it a safe time period for paint to cure before putting the new vinyl on....I'm only going to do this once I hope.

Chris, what it a safe time period for paint to cure before putting the new vinyl on....I'm only going to do this once I hope.

Assuming that the paint is mixed properly and the hardener is fresh 30-60 days should be good. In the summer 30 is good and in the winter closer to 60 just to be sure.

What if the roof is only epoxy primed?

epoxy primer is real good stuff and does seal better than most primers but it still is somewhat porous and will allow moisture to penetrate it. I would not cut corners, I would make sure I painted it.

epoxy primer is real good stuff and does seal better than most primers but it still is somewhat porous and will allow moisture to penetrate it. I would not cut corners, I would make sure I painted it.

The car is all going to be painted with a epoxy prime and polyurethane paint including the top so If I paint the top with the same primes and paint as the entire car, Can I stop worrying about the rust with the vinyl top?

Offtopic: Does someone knows a good online shop to buy a vinyl top for my fury? I had been looking on ebay but I don't completely trust on vinyl quality

The car is all going to be painted with a epoxy prime and polyurethane paint including the top so If I paint the top with the same primes and paint as the entire car, Can I stop worrying about the rust with the vinyl top?

Offtopic: Does someone knows a good online shop to buy a vinyl top for my fury? I had been looking on ebay but I don't completely trust on vinyl quality

Yes if everything is done well you should have no problems.

Do that and you should experience no problems with rust.

Legendary offers great quality Mopar vinal tops. Or you can find a local trim shop and choose a good quality material to have custom made & installed.

Legendary offers great quality Mopar vinal tops. Or you can find a local trim shop and choose a good quality material to have custom made & installed.

I doubt Legendary will have your vinyl top if I am understanding correctly that you have a 1974 Fury - their tops generally go through the 1973 model year for C bodies. Perhaps your best bet would be SMS out of Oregon. They make specialty vinyl tops using the factory original vinyl material:

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

I have obtained several vinyl tops from them when Legendary didn't have them, and they were of high quality, correct grain and correctly done, if a little bit pricey. But quality is worth it to me.

Here is a vintage upholstery outlet in Michigan that has a huge inventory of original,(surplus), material. Might be worth a try.

http://originalauto.com/

Thanks Will!

I'm gonna add them in my bookmarks. Maybe get a price quote for seat fabric from them, and see if they are any cheaper then SMS.

SMS sent me some fabric samples for my seats, that are very good. But I'm cheap.. Not sure if I wanna drop $800 or more in seat fabric.

Back