W23 Splined endcap centers only available for 70-73? what gives here?

66l78rat

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The 1975 Gran Fury brocure shows the W23 as an option wheel with the splined endcap center- I thought that ended with the fuseys in 73. 1975 was the second year of the Formal Models so what gives? Plymouth only thing?

IMG_1551.jpg

1974 was the last year for the splined end cap center. They probably used a carryover photo of the wheel in the brochure or used the 1974 center cap because the new style wasn't ready yet when the brochure was printed.

Very interesting!!
ive had 2 75s with the splined caps. both 1 owner cars i knew since new

Well these are going on my 75 Gran Custom as soon as my new electric impact gets here. I just loctited the button centers on and actually like this style better.

IMG_1550.jpg

That is very possible as is the factory having leftover center caps from the 1974 production run of cars.

Lots of Left handed thread cars in 71 that shouldn't exist. All early production cars. Speculation but why not.

In looking online for sales brochures, I have not been able to confirm my orientation that the smooth dome were started in 1974 model year. I never recalled seeing the splined dome caps after that, BUT what I found in the order guides (all the way to the 1977 model year!) show the splined caps on cars, in the parts book, and in the order guides at www.hiamtramck-historical.com . Even on Cordobas from 1976! As I was looking at new Cordobas back then, I was in and out of the local dealership (being out of college by that time) and never saw a splined-cap Cordoba, they were all smooth.

In the parts books, the interesting thing is that the 1974 edition indicated the splined dome with a 1974-type part number. The 1973 edition shows the same part number, which is curious.

It IS possible that some part numbers are issues earlier than the model year they first appear in, plus that newer part numbers replace old part numbers, but this situation looks unusual to me. The "1973 Final Edition" parts book on www.mymopar.com was printed at the end of the year, 1973, when the 1974 models were newly-in the showrooms. Just as the "1974 Final Edition" parts book was printed in late 1974, when the 1975 models were newly-in the showrooms. I also was not aware that Chrysler printed the new model year parts book several times during the calendar year. Too many "flaky deals", it seems.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back