Want to wake up my 73 Newport Custom

Also check your curve in the distributor. Best bang for the buck if it right like two stick mentioned. Most aftermarket ones have a cure that come in way to fast so figure out what you need first.
What type of a curve would you suggest for a 5000lb car.
lighter cars tend to be good with mechanical advance all in by 2000-2500RPM.
Maybe weight is not a factor and total mechanical advance should be all in just before cruise RPM. My service manual shows 10.5 - 12.5 deg at distributor by 2400 RPM
At the crank that would be 21 - 25 degrees by 4800 rpm. Sloooww curve.

Last edited:
Maybe weight is not a factor and total mechanical advance should be all in just before cruise RPM. My service manual shows 10.5 - 12.5 deg at distributor by 2400 RPM
At the crank that would be 21 - 35 degrees by 4800 rpm. Sloooww curve.
Give me ALL the mods to the current engine, trans and carb I will shoot you a pm.

At the crank that would be 21 - 35 degrees by 4800 rpm. Sloooww curve.
Also that is a total mechanical of 25, really not horrible what is it at 1800 crank rpm?

I have my Imperial set at 20 initial with 36 total at 2800. 1973 stock 440 4bbl Imperial LeBaron 3:23 rear gears.

The biggest thing with a curve is how fast to 1800 or so then total at say 3500. Thats what gets it right. The MP distributors usually are all in by 1500-1800 or so super light springs on both weights.

You have a number on your distributor? Curious if it is the origional curve.

All original car, 3715557 date of 18 3.
I have only started working on this beauty. I will pull the distributor and check it out on my Sun tester. see what it shows.

Prob needs to be cleaned and lubed. You actually have a dist tester? Nice. All the info you need is in the FSM.

Yes A great machine to have, I restored it to working order with some help from Paramount Distributor Co.
I have used it on much lighter car distributors with happy drivers. But was not sure about a 5000lb cars needs, as in the speed of curve for such a large car.

Iff it is all stock a bit faster initioal will wake it up. Call me.

Figured I would make a quick update. I was able to get my hands on NOS for a set of 3.21 gears for my 8.25 rear diff. I also was able to get a rebuild kit for all bearings and stuff. Now I just need to find that goofy square 5ft spanner tool. LOL!

Figured I would make a quick update. I was able to get my hands on NOS for a set of 3.21 gears for my 8.25 rear diff. I also was able to get a rebuild kit for all bearings and stuff. Now I just need to find that goofy square 5ft spanner tool. LOL!
My strong suggestion here is to have a pro do this. I don't mean the guy at the muffler shop... Find someone that works on performance cars, preferably with enough gray hair to know something about older cars.

I'm game to do about everything... And I've set up rear ends, but they were out of the car. It's not any fun learning to do it under the car and you'll need just enough specialized tools that it becomes uneconomical to do it yourself.

My strong suggestion here is to have a pro do this. I don't mean the guy at the muffler shop... Find someone that works on performance cars, preferably with enough gray hair to know something about older cars.

I'm game to do about everything... And I've set up rear ends, but they were out of the car. It's not any fun learning to do it under the car and you'll need just enough specialized tools that it becomes uneconomical to do it yourself.

Agreed, I was going to look into that next. Anybody have anyone they like around Chicago?? :)

Side question, if I looked for a new Cam Shaft and Lifters for this 400 BB, what should I look at getting? I guess same would go for timing chain and gears.

Chain I am partial to cloyes. Ask Karl (krazy Kuda) he is actually a cam man.

Back