Washer bottles

Jeff

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the washer reservoirs are made of polyethylene or polypropylene plastic? Thx!

LOL! But darn, I thought I had a real answer. I think it is polyethylene. I ask because I am trying to repair mine and the epoxy I bought says it is not recommended for those two types of plastic. My plan is to use epoxy and fiberglass cloth to patch it up. Most of the problems are at the bottom so the repairs should not be that visible.

Sounds good. Post picks if it comes out good! I saw a guy mount a more modern one next to his coolant overflow. Looked pretty slick. Lord knows there's plenty of spots to choose from.

My back up plan is to put a smaller bottle inside the existing one, but I will have to damage it even more to do that.

I patched a large hole in my '70 Fury with clear silicone and a section of those throwaway-fake-Tupperware things. Mine was also at the bottom, so not visible. Lasted for years w/fluid in it.

I don't know what the plastic is, but I'm pretty sure it's not polyethylene. PE would not be rigid enough.

Polypropylene? Yea, it might be that. They use a lot of it for stuff like that.

Whatever the plastic is, I really don't think that you are going to be patch it very well.

My car has a ~75 model year bottle in it. Looks right at home.

washer bottle.jpg

I thought they were made of Unobtainium.

1970 Fury - I have not been able to find a reproduction for it. Here are some pics of the fiberglass patching. I've done two patches so far. The part where the pump connects will be tricky. I put the original rubber washer in a 3/4 inch stainless steel washer and will fiberglass it into place. Dunno of this will actually hold water but the epoxy is supposed to be waterproof. We'll see.
2018-03-17 14.45.34.jpg
2018-03-18 11.05.02.jpg
2018-03-18 15.02.07.jpg

Yours looks identical to mine. Sigh

1970 Fury - I have not been able to find a reproduction for it. Here are some pics of the fiberglass patching. I've done two patches so far. The part where the pump connects will be tricky. I put the original rubber washer in a 3/4 inch stainless steel washer and will fiberglass it into place. Dunno of this will actually hold water but the epoxy is supposed to be waterproof. We'll see.
View attachment 174530 View attachment 174531 View attachment 174532

Could always stick an AMX bladder washer bag inside yours & keep it in the family lol. But getting serious, If your not trying to win a trophy with it you might be able to use an A body one if you get creative with a bracket. Other 69-73 guys would sympathize with you if you did.

I think if you own a c body that gives you a little more slack. As far as drifting away from o.e.m. You have to sometimes. Internet was still in its infancy when I bought my 72. I’ve got formal directional indicators on my fenders cause I gave up on looking for the bulbs for the lower profile 72 ones. Who cares? Get em working and drive them.

I simply can not stray from Correct parts. No Hodge podging stuff together unless it is to create something unique like the Batwagon

Back