Well-done delMONACO, vintage 1972

More progress pics...

IMG_20170415_161040_zpsv1cy7nxl.jpg

Yes, I know I should have capped the tailshaft. But I have loads of sawdust and a pressure washer, so clean up was easier that taking the yoke off or trying to concoct something that would fall-off half way through the pull as per normal.

Observations...

I think whomever did the cosmetic restoration was better at body/paint than observant of good practices when modifying cars. These are the reasons folks like me would rather buy something original and broken vs. modified and functional.

IMG_20170414_190629_zpszuelfs2i.jpg

An electric choke in itself is not a bad item, but when you just grab power from under the dash and wedge the wire between a sharp steel edge and a grommet, you're asking for a helluva (unfused) short. (Grommet removed in this photo for clarity.) While I don't think this wire was the source of ignition (I would expect more damage to the wire), it certainly had the potential.

IMG_20170414_183803_zpsicbdfcz7.jpg

There was no roll pin connecting the steering shaft to the box! That made it easier to remove; but damn!

IMG_20170414_182349_zps5dbcmmil.jpg

Blower motor itself seems ok. Spun freely.

IMG_20170412_202953_zps51xg11ie.jpg

Do you hate working under the dash? Me too. However, necessary to save the booster; which was still proving power brakes when I drove it up/down my driveway.

IMG_20170411_175841_zpst7xq8uxq.jpg

Fuel line was just a long rubber loop over the manifolds to the fuel pump. Carb was fastened down on top of the original choke... Just crushed down with the mounting bolts! The choke removes with one bolt, WTF?!

This is why many of us prefer to keep things OEM! There is a place for mods, IF you know what your doing, not just doing what you know!

Speaking of shortcuts and hackery... I have an older friend who needs to move an old Dodge plow truck a few hundred feet into a polebarn (It's a few hundred miles from me). The underhood wiring is chopped up and he gets no spark. So I used the Monaco's engine wire harness to create a "drop in" electronic ignition hot wire kit.

IMG_20170411_203318_zpsvh5s6pf2.jpg

For all the mystery surrounding this box, it's really just 5 wires for trouble shooting purposes. Two of those go to the distributor, one goes to power, the last two are coil +/-. Yes, you will overheat the coil if your drive around like that, but if you're just trouble shooting or need to move a wounded beast, as I did... it works.
Thank you for sharing Carmine. I find this "train wreck" fascinating. I suppose it was likely the ammeter that was the source of the fire, not that that would be easily proved by that mess.

BTW, they have shots for the tetanus thing... :poke:

Looks like there was a lot of other dangerous stuff going on if it wouldn't of burned up.

Why would or should I say how could you presume that?
I really can't. The fire would have started in the dash/fuse box area judging by the damage. Whatever wire was responsible would have gotten hot enough to burn the copper. Unfortunately, several others likely got hot enough as well.

The wires all around the column support do look really cooked.

IMG_20170412_202953_zps51xg11ie.jpg

See how this one has the strands intact... Carmine's right, not the cause.
IMG_20170414_190629_zpszuelfs2i.jpg

Coincidentally, I did start the weekend with a nice Delmonaco steak at Mancy's in Toledo (although I prefer medium rare). Then I did some more hacking on the side of beef in my garage.

IMG_20170529_155326_zpsabtf16lj.jpg

I carved out the dutchman panel with the rear window channel/trunk gutter intact. Figure this would be a commonly needed part that should fit across all C's

IMG_20170529_185222_zpslqlhyxs9.jpg

Then came the FOD (front of dash) as we used to call it at Viper. Left the w/shield channel on this as well.

IMG_20170529_190348_zpsw8hma1eh.jpg

That's what your cowl drains look like if you live in Kalifornia for 45 years.

IMG_20170529_190500_zpsq3mxch1z.jpg

Inventory piling up behind my garage (covered area)

IMG_20170529_190552_zpsrhgrynlj.jpg

FWIW, the bulkhead looked in fine shape. I think we could rule out the ammeter.

I don't want to get you too far off topic, but at least you had some salvageable pieces after a fire, unlike if it had been one of those aluminum F150s

f150.jpeg

This weekend...

1496627303_zpstuzas7p7.jpg

Found this 3/8" Mopar-brand socket inside the B-post. These aren't the kind of tools used in production, so I'm guessing a warranty window motor repair many years ago.

1496627255_zpskbn5f4ar.jpg

Then I did this...

1496627088_zpseyl65s9b.jpg

Like the family taught me; if you're gonna make a mess cutting someonething up, put down a bunch of plastic first.

Take a look at these shock absorber pictures. When I first saw the KYB shocks I was kinda thinking "bonus", but the rears are hammered to sh*t!? What gives? I there a fitment issue with rears on C-bodies? I see no reason to think this occurred during handling at various impound lots, there is no underbody damage.

1496626888_zpskq7ebi14.jpg

1496626907_zpst2d00qrb.jpg

TIP: Let me tell you guys, there really is no easier (or safer) way to pull the gas tank, axle, subframe, brake/fuel lines, etc. Keep it in mind for your restos.

1496627003_zps1gzbzwag.jpg

and then this...

1496626938_zpsaexe7pai.jpg

Which lead to this:

IMG_20170603_211411_zpswosy0ykx.jpg

and this...

IMG_20170603_211522_zpskqicyldg.jpg

You must have one helluva rapport with your neighbors and a lot of beer to go around. I couldn't get away with what you do where I live. Mopar to ya! Paradise in Detroit! I do the same thing with the cars that can't be saved - cut out floor pans, trunk floors, roofs, keep subframes etc. You never know when you will need something. Nice work.

You must have one helluva rapport with your neighbors and a lot of beer to go around. I couldn't get away with what you do where I live. Mopar to ya! Paradise in Detroit! I do the same thing with the cars that can't be saved - cut out floor pans, trunk floors, roofs, keep subframes etc. You never know when you will need something. Nice work.

It's tough to explain but if you notice, most all of my "work area" is a corridor between 6'+ arborvites and dogwoods. You really can't see into the yard without making an effort. From the front, you would never see much more than 1-2 cars in the driveway. I also never leave "junk" laying out where it can be seen. The house/garage are on a 45 degree angle, so you can't really look into my garage with trespassing 100' deep into the lot. The lot is also triple the normal width. You have to kind of glue the pics together to undertand it. I took the others so you don't think I live between Junkytown and Crackville (Simpson's referrence). I bought the house knowing i'd want the privacy, but eventually I want to get a wide-deep ranch closer to the lake.

IMG_20170605_165142.jpg

IMG_20170605_165153.jpg

IMG_20170605_165256_hdr.jpg

IMG_20170605_165402_hdr.jpg

It's tough to explain but if you notice, most all of my "work area" is a corridor between 6'+ arborvites and dogwoods. You really can't see into the yard without making an effort. From the front, you would never see much more than 1-2 cars in the driveway. I also never leave "junk" laying out where it can be seen. The house/garage are on a 45 degree angle, so you can't really look into my garage with trespassing 100' deep into the lot. The lot is also triple the normal width. You have to kind of glue the pics together to undertand it. I took the others so you don't think I live between Junkytown and Crackville (Simpson's referrence). I bought the house knowing i'd want the privacy, but eventually I want to get a wide-deep ranch closer to the lake.

Nice setup then. It didn't look so private from past photos and these as well. Good to hear since neighbors can make life hell when they want to. Keep up the good work!

Must be an Italian thing. That is exactly how my weekend ended, only without the tarp.

IMG_3596.JPG

Back