Backup camera

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys know I have a messed up neck. It's a long story, but C5-C7 is fused and I have a lot of arthritis and other issues. Turning my head to back any of the cars up is tough. (I don't need advice about my neck)

In my Ford Edge, I have a built in backup camera and it's getting so I miss having one in my other vehicles.

So... all that said...

Anybody have any recommendations for a backup camera? I'm thinking maybe Bluetooth with my I-phone. I have 4 vehicles where I would use this, so the same system across them all would be best.

Some of you guys know I have a messed up neck. It's a long story, but C5-C7 is fused and I have a lot of arthritis and other issues. Turning my head to back any of the cars up is tough. (I don't need advice about my neck)

In my Ford Edge, I have a built in backup camera and it's getting so I miss having one in my other vehicles.

So... all that said...

Anybody have any recommendations for a backup camera? I'm thinking maybe Bluetooth with my I-phone. I have 4 vehicles where I would use this, so the same system across them all would be best.
I don’t have anything to recommend. I have been looking at a single DIN stereo that many have a backup camera option.

Following…

So... all that said...

I added one to my tool truck years ago. The camera was in the license plate frame and I mounted the screen on the dash. It was bluetooth and worked pretty well. If I remember, it was hooked into the back up lights to turn it on.

I added one to my tool truck years ago. The camera was in the license plate frame and I mounted the screen on the dash. It was bluetooth and worked pretty well. If I remember, it was hooked into the back up lights to turn it on.
I had a combination GPS/Backup camera in my Excursion. That was hardwired to the camera and worked great. In fact, it saved my butt once at a customers when a woman darted behind my truck as I was backing up. I never saw her in the mirrors and there was just enough stuff in the back to block my view.

I'm rethinking using my I-Phone. Anything that works with a Bluetooth is a little slow to connect with my phone unless it's connected all the time. I don't want a delay or have to fiddle with something.

John, I didn't know your neck was messed up, but after reading your post I can understand the need for the back up camera for your vehicles.
Since you drive 4 vehicles maybe something can be done with a unit that can be transferred from one car to another easily instead of buying 4 separate back up camera kits.
I saved this link because I thought about it. 7-Inch Rear View Clip On Mirror with Optional Backup Camera but never really looked into it close enough to buy one.
The clip-on mirror is adjustable and the camera in the license plate holder could possibly be attached to the rear plate by using strong magnets instead of changing it every time you want to drive a different vehicle.
The unit is wireless, so that probably helps when going from one car to the next in your fleet.

I had a combination GPS/Backup camera in my Excursion. That was hardwired to the camera and worked great. In fact, it saved my butt once at a customers when a woman darted behind my truck as I was backing up. I never saw her in the mirrors and there was just enough stuff in the back to block my view.

I'm rethinking using my I-Phone. Anything that works with a Bluetooth is a little slow to connect with my phone unless it's connected all the time. I don't want a delay or have to fiddle with something.
This one looks pretty deluxe for $50. It's available through Wal Mart. Pyle PLCM7500 7" LCD Rearview Car Backup Camera and Monitor Reverse Assist Kit - Walmart.com

The unit is wireless, so that probably helps when going from one car to the next in your fleet.
Nice looking unit. Fits my needs perfectly.
Wondering if it's also dimmable for when the yahoo with the lifted 3500 and illegal LEDs comes up behind you.

Back