What a Rush

We went to the time trials for the SHRA Nostalgia Nationals last night. It’s in Denton (it’s actually in Sanger) Texas. The gentleman who built Dylan’s engine was there. He had some time to talk because they had to clean the track. It turns out that he’s a distributor of many different parts and the list includes custom chrome- moly drive shafts. The company that makes them doesn’t sell directly. They use distributors between themselves and retailers. I’m now going to get one directly from him for a very competitive price. Often, I t’s not what you know, it’s who you know.
We also had a good talk about tuning. He suggests that the AFR meter will not be extremely accurate due to the fact that, particularly at wide open throttle, a carburetor will surge lean and rich, sort of wandering about. That causes the AFR data to wander quite a bit. You can average it for a ballpark estimate. However, reading plugs is mandatory. In fact, he suggested that we ditch the AFR meter before the lead kills the O2 sensor and teach Dylan to read plugs. I’m down with that.

- dad

@saylor , if you’re bored, SHRA Nationals are at Northstar Dragway tonight.

2539047E-661E-4FF7-9D85-82696DC7219B.jpeg
4834AE8B-7D3F-4B44-A2B5-4F6EC2A5132E.jpeg
00BF83EC-9F14-4F4D-ACBA-258B46DF2688.jpeg

- dad

Last edited:
Any new updates Gentlemen?
Sorry for the lack there of. We are working on moving into a new house with an actual workshop. Once we get that completed Rush will come back into action. Unfortunately, we are on a temporary hiatus until then.

Sorry for the lack there of. We are working on moving into a new house with an actual workshop. Once we get that completed Rush will come back into action. Unfortunately, we are on a temporary hiatus until then.
I wonder how long the "goodbye" tire marks will last in the former neighborhood... and if they will encompass the entire block :lol:

I’m not giving up. You might have hoped to get rid of us, but, the kid and his crazy dad, who make “dragster c-body” a household term, are back. Sorry, not sorry!

Dylan is heading back to school soon. The shop is behind schedule because our contractor got pneumonia and was hospitalized for over a week in early July. He’s better but he’s still trying to catch up.

The latest scoop:
We’ve made a dastardly plan. I ordered a Strange Engineering S60 complete spooled rear end. It’s customized for the Fury and will (darn well better!) plug right in.
We’re going to be using 1350 u-joints. The u-joints won’t be cross-drilled for lubrication. Thus, they will be stronger. Axles are pro-series 40 spline that are gun-drilled and have lightened flanges. It’s going to have rear 4-caliper disc brakes. The studs will be 1/2” to permit us to use the existing wheels. Dylan can always accurately drill/tap for 5/8” studs later. We’re planning to keep the Caltracs and put in a roll cage and wheelie bars. A parachute is also on the short list. The transmission is getting a trans lock and a dead serious torque converter. The transmission drive yoke and rear end pinion yoke will be chromoly steel and the drive shaft will be extremely extreme (to the extreme). We’re also looking at a PPP “Kwik Shift I” push-to-shift-up shifter. The stuff is getting real.

I hope that we didn’t leave you hanging for too long. It’s been stupid busy lately.

- dad

Last edited:
I wonder how long the "goodbye" tire marks will last in the former neighborhood... and if they will encompass the entire block :lol:

You might keep an eye out for a video. Of course, the names will be changed to protect the innocent. He-he..

Back