What carb for my Fury's 318 Poly?

They have roller lifters and better heads. The do require a magnum specific intake to run a carb, and the 5.9 has a different amount of external balance weight compared to an LA 360 (the 5.2 and 318 require no external weight). Do some googling to see if a magnum swap would be up your alley or not.
Travis..

Go this route:
IMG_3584.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG

Car was real sweet!
IMG_3586.JPG

That's very nice but way beyond my time or budget allow, and if I'm honest about it the car doesn't warrant it.

A local guy has sold me a low mileage 318 LA motor from his 68 Fury sedan since he's put a 440 in.
The plan now is to check it over and build it a bit warmer with a 4bbl carb, intake and headers, maybe a cam as well.
Much as I like the idea of keeping the poly engine, I can build the LA motor for less than the cost of headers for the poly.

I'll also be looking for a cheap solution for a 2.5" dual exhaust any ideas gratefully received.

The car is never going to win any prizes and is just for my personal pleasure so I'm not looking for strict originality.

If you weld, or know somebody who can, flow master sells a nice universal dual kit in 2.5". I've used one before, and I have one waiting for my 300. If not, just have an exhaust shop bend up a system, it's usually pretty reasonable.
Travis..

Hmmm, I had a 318 LA motor in the 68 Fury I had years ago. I always thought of hopping it up a bit but never got around to it....Probably because of too many issues needed to be addressed just to keep the old car running. Thought of 4 bbl carb, headers and dual exhaust. That's not too much of a hop up but I'm sure it would have helped.

Well, I must confess to some insider knowledge, my last D100 Sweptline pickup, '68 vintage, had a 318LA with Edelbrock performer, 600 Holley, Hedman headers & twin exhausts with cherry bombs. It wasn't a racecar but it didn't hang about either. Oh and it made a glorious racket.
Brakes & steering left something to be desired though.
dodgepix100208 006.jpg

Well, it's time for an update.
I've been a busy chap over the last few months, got married, worked, had a couple of weeks in the old country at christmas, fixed up the other motors on the fleet, etc, so the Fury has taken a back seat.

I had the offer of a pair of 340 unleaded heads for the 318 LA so I recently got into the motor to see what else it would need, bummer! #8 cyl full of rust and crap, took a rotary wire brush to it gently & long story sideways, it's ****ed! loads of rust pits, not even sure it will rebore.

The question that follows now is what to do?
I have a '67 318 Poly with a knackered bottom end and a '68 318 LA with a duff block.

So here's the big question, can I use the crank and a rod (or rods) from the LA, with a new set of shells, in the Poly motor?

All thoughts and info gratefully received.

So here's the big question, can I use the crank and a rod (or rods) from the LA, with a new set of shells, in the Poly motor?

All thoughts and info gratefully received.
I read once that the only thing you can use from an LA on a Poly was the carburetor. Don't know if that's true, but if it is, no.

The only thing common between the 318A/LA was the bore/stroke and bore spacing.
The motor mounts are different between the LA/LA Magnum engines. Yes, the Magnums are LAs.
Late 80s 318/360s had roller lifters before they got the Magnum treatment.

You should be able to find out what interchanges with a little web research. I think the crank will swap, but don't know about the rods. The pistons are certainly different as is the cam, both due to valve location and angles.
Travis..

The poly 318 will have a forged crank that you can use. In early 70s Mopar went to cast crank on a lot of engines

Many years ago a friend of my Dads (Mopar dealer mechanic) ,if I remember right, he used the poly forged crank in a 340. But that was many years ago.
When I have time I will look up the specs on that

The blocks are dementially the same. The LA blocks are a thinner casting and used way lighter/compact heads, hence the term light A (LA), this was to fit into smaller engine compartments (A body). The reason the lifter bores are so low on the cam is leftover from the poly, bolt a set of poly heads on a LA block and see how well the push rods line up. Pistons and cam are different as mentioned

Last edited:
i had a La 318 sleeved once,and gone thru.
i built the motor up,got it done and sold it right away,
didnt like the idea of one sleeve.
ran great,it just made me nervous.

id echo the others advice and stick a magnum in it.
cept id go with a 318 magnum,
as im a fan of internally balanced motors.
easy power,and the only major cost is gonna be that 4bbl intake.
keep checking ebay,theres sometimes sales on those if you keep looking.

Put a 360/5.9 Magnum in it, keep the serpitine belt setup, change the intake and get the conversion flexplate, electric fuel pump.

Back