What did you do to your C-body today....

I let my brother-in-law drive the 300 this afternoon. That's me with the nervous grin on my face as he's leaving.:)

received_279460920094614.jpeg

I tried all kinds of those head pipe gaskets decades ago and never found any that would last more then a year. I finally decided to stop wasting my money on those gaskets and just slather the flanges with high temp RTV and tighten them up. Very rarely have I ever had a leak at the head pipes since starting to do this, the wagon just started leaking on one side but that is after 10 years and close to 10K miles.

I had the same issues with the flat gasket. Used this graphite donut and it solved the problem.

2.25" HEADER MANIFOLD DOWNPIPE EXHAUST FLANGE GRAPHITE DONUT GASKET D16 B18 B16 | eBay

Yesterday I drove it to work (Toyota Dealership), stopped and filled up with 91 octane pure gas on the way. Had a customer ask to look at it, which I graciously allowed. All he could see through the shop was one tail light and asked me if it was a '67 New Yorker. His family had one when he was growing up. He came back later and asked if he could take some photos of it. Which I graciously allowed again. After leaving work at noon, I drove to camp, a 60+ mile ride. A completely uneventful trip, other than the head turning and the thumbs up. One of the best parts (after setting the timing and adjusting the carb a few weeks ago) after arriving at camp, it started right back up after shutting it off!

DSC01730.jpg

IMG_1305.JPG
I made a radiator catch/overflow tank out of a promotional drink bottle I got after riding in a hellcat at Carlisle. I put it behind the front head lights and yes I used a bike drink holder bracket.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Up graded a few things on 61 daily driver.
Pass tailight with pit free housing. NOS lens
Re installed some of side trim and chevron. Previous owner had dechromed the car.
Installed NOS horn ring

Thanks to members here, rockearm,dematt,and tallzag

Inspired by the progress CBarge made on his 69 Fury package tray I decided to do mine. This 43-year-old material sure is thirsty for paint. I’m on my 2nd can and still need more. These are before pictures. I’ll take (after) pictures once it’s done.

94F165F9-7EBF-4429-8B48-8BF5852958BA.jpeg

Also noticed on the rear deck, there appears to be a cut out for the rear defroster option I’m assuming.. anyone??
92613BD7-DF88-4DD9-B871-06FC2F257757.jpeg

Also cut outs for (3) speakers although only two were present, or should I say what’s left of them. Can someone educate me on why there’s three holes?
Was there a (3) speaker option?
BAD7C4CE-5557-4353-AA69-75DB224DA250.jpeg
3325F8CB-8048-4E1F-908F-EB89748E17C9.jpeg

Lastly. Does anyone have a line on where I can get the same style sound deadening material that laid under the package tray? As you would expect the 43-year-old material just crumbles in your hand. If no leads on that same style material, what would you suggest I use?
75A83581-019B-4110-8CDA-D3160B823680.jpeg

Thx in advance for the input.

For sound deadening it would seem you an opportunity for an upgrade. I would use the peel and stick kind that could reduce vibration and trunk noise plus cover the holes you are not using. Just cover everything and cut out the wholes you need.

From lowes - Peel&Seal
Amazon - Sound Deadener

For the amazon stuff if you want a bigger quantity (for other things) there are better deals persqft than what I posted.

Also cut outs for (3) speakers although only two were present, or should I say what’s left of them. Can someone educate me on why there’s three holes?
Was there a (3) speaker option?

Thx in advance for the input.
Not 3 speakers, two speakers and the opening for the rear defogger fan to draw from so it would use interior air.

My neighbor and his dad own a shop together I had them freshen up a few things for me.i know not technically what did you do to your C-Body today.they Best leave the big involved jobs to professionals.

1)Replace worn out air shocks
2)Replace both U-Joints
3)Remove center section to fix leaking gasket.
4)replaced axle seals & bearings ,pinion seal and the foam/fibre seals between housing end backing plates.

They did a excellent job cleaning everything and painted the center section.Should be good for another 52 years.

Last edited:
I know it looks like the air line is near the exhaust but it isn't .It comes out the side of the shock and then through the frame rail to behind the bumper.

Been a Bizzy Little Beaver during my last 2 days off.. wanting to get Ginger ready for Carlise, or as much as she’s can be. Put on a set of air shocks just cuz. I did purchase a set of new Leafs along with the works a few weeks back. Gonna put them on later this yr.

Anywho.. had to put the interior back together and give her a good bath..

Started by putting down the old sound deadening mats that I pulled last summer and cleaned, then the old carpet that was shampooed then the freshly redone leather seats. I have mostly all new materials to install, but until the car get metal work and paint I reused the OE stuff to get her back on the road.
C53B3C84-2E57-48D2-91E3-C7C4E1201E47.jpeg
5A54FBD6-60F9-433D-96D2-E3774B937C5B.jpeg
BA500975-5396-44C8-870E-482F8A7A47ED.jpeg
6511F9A0-59CD-4FB6-B3FE-77CFE5604D1B.jpeg

Took some brake cleaner to the seat tracks and gave them new grease. Pic don’t do’em justice. They turned out and work real nice. Before after.
F273871A-226F-4475-9647-91184EE8E80F.jpeg

485AC6D5-04F8-4A06-A20F-B2096B60EF63.jpeg

Seats back in and gave her a bath.. drove her to work tonight.

1D7C32AE-1D5C-41A3-A9D4-DCC0AFA32061.jpeg
2D6DDAA3-FE54-49B8-9E8B-D3C4FC660CCB.jpeg
B3BA62ED-8ADB-4B09-9631-243D8298AF95.jpeg

C710AB5E-7857-4045-91F2-D331039F253C.jpeg

Dash back together with new dash pad, converted radio, new speaker and superbright led dash lights.
IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG
This in daylight!
Got the buckets back from upholsterer last week so gotta get the new carpet installed.
IMG_1309.JPG
The old (original?) carpet. Strange fade pattern.
Clean floor pans. The beauty of a Cali & Fla car.
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1314 2.JPG
Found another broadcast sheet under the rear rug.
IMG_1316.JPG
New vs old.
I suppose I'll have to crawl under the car to remove accelerator pedal next.

Dash back together with new dash pad, converted radio, new speaker and superbright led dash lights.
View attachment 383157
View attachment 383158 This in daylight!
Got the buckets back from upholsterer last week so gotta get the new carpet installed.
View attachment 383164 The old (original?) carpet. Strange fade pattern.
View attachment 383163 View attachment 383161 Found another broadcast sheet under the rear rug.
View attachment 383159 New vs old.

Terrific!!!

View attachment 383157
View attachment 383158 This in daylight!
View attachment 383164 The old (original?) carpet. Strange fade pattern.
View attachment 383163 View attachment 383161 Found another broadcast sheet under the rear rug.
View attachment 383159 New vs old.
Was your converted radio an AM or AM/FM? I'll be interested in who did it and how well you like it when you get the ol' girl put back together.

Was your converted radio an AM or AM/FM? I'll be interested in who did it and how well you like it when you get the ol' girl put back together.
Gary Tayman did the conversion. Fast and professional service.
They did the Aurora am/fm with bluetooth option conversion.
Used the Autosound dual voice coil speakers. One in the dash & one in rear shelf.
Powerful (loud) clear sound so far. Once I get car back on the road i’ll tweak balance and fader etc.

Was it an original AM/FM?
5B7E02D1-7848-4BB8-8271-FCACCF0C9D90.jpeg

I used a donor AM radio I got from Murray. Don’t know if it even worked. Tayman Electronics polished the faceplate lens, knobs and buttons beautifully. All the advanced features are controlled by the original knobs or buttons. Radio comes with great instructions.
I’ll keep my original working AM unit and speakers in box for next owner.

Back