What did you do to your C-body today....

Took a cruise down to Wahpeton ND this morning for coffee with cars. Nice 45 mile drive. Perfect 3 finger drive. No wind, could guide the car with 3 fingers resting on the wheel at 70 mph.
About 10 -15 cars. Actually had better time wi a small crowd as you get to know each vehicle’s history. I didn’t take any pictures as my phone said I was out of storage.
Was going to an evening coffee with cars, but decided to sit on the patio and drink a few beers instead.
image.jpg

Doing minor body work on my 59 Coronet (C-Body). Working on it, a 57 Coronet (also C-Body) and the 73 TR-6, getting them ready for sale, as I try to "thin the herd". Too many projects to make any real headway on anything. Running full-speed to keep the cars able to be started and moved as they continue to leak and creak from sitting. Seems every time I let them sit for a couple months I get another leak, or some other maintenance item to fix...

Doing minor body work on my 59 Coronet (C-Body). Working on it, a 57 Coronet (also C-Body) and the 73 TR-6, getting them ready for sale, as I try to "thin the herd". Too many projects to make any real headway on anything. Running full-speed to keep the cars able to be started and moved as they continue to leak and creak from sitting. Seems every time I let them sit for a couple months I get another leak, or some other maintenance item to fix...

Not that it matters, those aren't C bodies. Considered full size but not Cs.
Thinning the heard is always tough.

Moving forward, I installed the new double roller timing set yesterday. More cleaning today. Prepping to install the reconditioned heads.

I took the wagon out to my first cars and coffee since February yesterday. The restaurant that usually did breakfast was closed but we used their parking lot and it was BYOC. There was a big turnout and a line of regular cars were just cruising through looking at the oldies. It was good to see somebody else's hobby cars again.

20200530_091947.jpg

20200530_091955.jpg

Doing carpet. Completed floor repairs. Seat belt nut on passenger side came out due to rust. Found a weld in plate at seatbeltsplus site with 7/16-20 threads. Worked perfectly.

E90942A0-FBCB-4CCB-9447-C48B9D230C9E.jpeg

39979857-4BA0-4284-B42C-5FCAD07B8F0C.jpeg

8CA6516A-4710-4184-B0C9-51210A51B751.jpeg

27273375-518D-4828-8BDD-180D81443CC5.jpeg

Got my New Molded carpet for the 77 NYB from SMS through ACC yesterday.. excited! If y’all know the thick plush shag style carpets from Chrysler back the day, it’ll be only a memory as the don’t make it anymore.. :( so I got as close as I could to the OE style.. it’ll look nice when I’m ready install.

844BFCCE-E30D-409C-BCBD-AE8C5F159D6B.jpeg
C64DBBF8-0988-47E4-BCF1-160274F5CBEB.jpeg
14979CCE-6641-400F-A76B-05AF12CED2C6.jpeg

I got inspired by Cbarge installing his upgraded headlight wiring harness on Maggie. I Purchased the same harness he did A couple years back with intentions of installing on my 75 NYB, but since she is now sold it’s going on the 77 NYB. super easy install to say the least. All said and done took me less than an hour. And most of the time we spent just tucking The harness in where I wanted it to live.. But essentially it’s plug-and-play. I am having a bit of an issue though with the headlight doors not closing once they lights are turned off at the switch. I’ve PM’d Cbarge for his advice. But other than that I’m very happy with the results..

View attachment 379334 View attachment 379335 View attachment 379336 View attachment 379337 View attachment 379338 View attachment 379339

Got my New Molded carpet for the 77 NYB from SMS through ACC yesterday.. excited! If y’all know the thick plush shag style carpets from Chrysler back the day, it’ll be only a memory as the don’t make it anymore.. :( so I got as close as I could to the OE style.. it’ll look nice when I’m ready install.
:poke::poke:
View attachment 380919 View attachment 380920 View attachment 380921

Still waiting for the "Ginger" thread John Boy:poke:

I changed my exhaust Y pipe gaskets again. When I had my starter out last month to rebuild, I replaced my flange gaskets. I ordered some Remflex graphite gaskets, but they were not here yet. So I went to O’reiliey’s and got 2 for a couple of bucks each. One package was taped up and then gasket was shiny silver and the other the basic “cardboard” covered steel. I installed them and The cardboard one started ticking already so I decided to go ahead and put the Remflex ones on.
Less than 200 miles. Yes it was on the heat riser side.
The Remflex looks to be much better quality.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I changed my exhaust Y pipe gaskets again. When I had my starter out last month to rebuild, I replaced my flange gaskets. I ordered some Remflex graphite gaskets, but they were not here yet. So I went to O’reiliey’s and got 2 for a couple of bucks each. One package was taped up and then gasket was shiny silver and the other the basic “cardboard” covered steel. I installed them and The cardboard one started ticking already so I decided to go ahead and put the Remflex ones on.
Less than 200 miles. Yes it was on the heat riser side.
The Remflex looks to be much better quality.
View attachment 380999

View attachment 381000

View attachment 381001
Thanks for posting this. I had same problem on the same side. Muffler guy said the pipes were not squared and suggested stacking two but it’s leaking again.

Thanks for posting this. I had same problem on the same side. Muffler guy said the pipes were not squared and suggested stacking two but it’s leaking again.
They are about double thickness of the regular ones, but say they crush to 1/8”. They only recommend torquing to 20 ft Lbs. Good for 3000 degrees.
Will see how they do.

That's exactly what the old guy in town did on my Monaco, and they blew out after letting off the gas when I got to 70 when I hit the 40mph zone.

Funny thing is, the car runs better with the exhaust leak. Still haven't chased my lifter issue, though.

I tried all kinds of those head pipe gaskets decades ago and never found any that would last more then a year. I finally decided to stop wasting my money on those gaskets and just slather the flanges with high temp RTV and tighten them up. Very rarely have I ever had a leak at the head pipes since starting to do this, the wagon just started leaking on one side but that is after 10 years and close to 10K miles.

Back