What did you do to your C-body today....

Got my 9.25 axle rebuildal kit from Dr. Diff in the mail today. The axle, backing plates and dif cover are ready for pick up at the Power Coaters. I’ll drop them off at the Machine Shop Monday. More pics to come.

BE5C8069-2CDB-4C84-BD5A-2FDB925312F1.jpeg

A957E852-1060-4766-975A-C8BE58D4AA4F.jpeg

27CA5983-5508-49BF-B686-BD6FB675AE49.jpeg

Beautiful Sunday morning here in New Hampshire and we took the 67 to the Hopkington Fair. Got there for the opening at 8 there was no traffic and the Chrysler ran great! It was a good run for it, close to 100 miles round-trip. When we left at 11 there was a long line of cars waiting to get in. Passed a nice 67 Chrysler 300 four door hardtop coming home, wish I knew who it belongs to. Lot's of thumbs up and people waving , folks just love the old cars!View attachment 556138

IMG_20220904_110903.jpg

I've been having trouble with the speedo cable on my 66 Fury. Jerky, jumping needle- the usual stuff. I removed the cable and found the lithium grease I had used when I had it out last winter, had developed "chunks". After some research, phone calls and chats with parts folk, I decided that, as I couldn't get what I wanted, I would make my own lube. I used Dexron and powdered graphite. About a teaspoon of ATF and enough graphite to make a thick, creamy slurry. I applied this to the inner cable with an artist's brush and reinstalled the cable. I took the car for a test run and the cable is silent and the needle is steady. The real test is time, but for now it looks promising. If this "goes south", I'll let you all know. Lindsay
PS I will order the proper lube, just in case! (Dorman #03344)

My oldest daughter is getting married this weekend.

Took this pic since I won't be doing anything with the cars over the weekend .

20220908_132047.jpg

After @Xenon smoked what was left of the old tires, it was time to do a little upgrade with new wheels & shoes
235's on the front and 255's on the back

20220922_172755.jpg

20220922_173347.jpg

20220922_185924.jpg

Got an early jump on a window project I’ve been wanting to do since I got the car, swap out the rear axle, leaf springs, and everything else connecting back there. got everything yanked out Friday, sent all the brackets and small bits. I want to be powder coated. Hopefully by next weekend it’ll all go back in. Made myself a handy little jig from spare wood in the garage to support the Diff and axle while removing it. Also my motorcycle/ATV jack came in real handy. Giving the Jig a flat surface of contact for stability. Worked great.

12142894-09B9-4D00-8AFF-AC8E4FFFD394.jpeg

B37DE63A-977F-4437-AFBB-D3CA4705031A.jpeg

0EFF6DBC-8609-4E7E-84FD-E8E61613E5FC.jpeg

I do have a question regarding my New Leaf springs:

I purchased them some time back from Spring and Things. Thought I counted the number of old leaf’s correctly but I was wrong.. OE was 5 but I purchased a 6 leaf set. Too late to exchange. What should I expect in regards to ride height and ride quality with 6 vis 5 leafs??
I’m hoping I don’t end up with an unwanted Rake.

Thoughts?

Very nice!
2 questions:

1) Did you purchase the air jacks that mount on the rails allowing you to raise the vehicle when it’s on the lift?

2) what lessons learned do you have to share regarding the installation of the lift?
tx !

i didnt buy the airjack because of the price and having to run an airline to it. it would have cost me another CDN $2400 on top of the lift,
which was just over CDN$ 7k.
i bought the bottle jack tray which also attaches to the inner rails; it was CDN$ 320. i think it will work out just as well and more cost effectively.

2 friends and i worked putting it together; 1 friend is experienced with them so it worked out well.
altogether it took about 15 hrs over 4 days to get it done and another 2 hrs getting the lift positioned just right.

i didnt buy the CDN$ 640 wheel kit to move it around - a friend has many of these bendpaks and he lent me a wheel kit.

the instruction manual was clear but the diagrams could have been bigger and shown more detail - like exactly where to lubricate the sheaves (pulleys). also the manual didnt even mention lubricating the cables, i found this out from a tech advisor.....
the assembly steps could have been better laid out - for instance we had it all together and then discovered that theres 8 safety springs to install.
and they dont make it clear that 2 very similar looking but different springs go on each corner.

i also didnt realise that i have to have an airline to release the locks to lower the deck, i assumed it would have been a lever operated release.
im not thrilled about an air line running to it across the floor.

the quality seems very good overall.
i find it odd that the ramps have a non slip rough surface but the runway beams are smooth powdercoat.
all it'd take is a bit of brake fluid on them and a wheel could slip off.
i will be doing some kind of non skid treatment on them.

the air release valve button is defective and they are sending me a new one; im not happy that its going to be 10 days + to get it, for what i paid they should have couriered it from the mainland. i can still operate the release with an air compressor for the time being.

the lift is positioned so that my 78 Salon at 19' 3" 231 "can fit on the lift and have 1/4" clearance from the front wall and the side garage door will open and clear the Salon by less than a 1/4"

im pretty happy with it.

hope this gives some insight,
and any questions just ask
mark

I purchased them some time back from Spring and Things. Thought I counted the number of old leaf’s correctly but I was wrong.. OE was 5 but I purchased a 6 leaf set. Too late to exchange. What should I expect in regards to ride height and ride quality with 6 vis 5 leafs??

Thoughts?

I doubt you will notice much of a ride difference. When I had my 70 Sport Fury I rebuilt my own rear leafs from a couple different sets, picked thicker and heavier individual leafs and added an extra leaf while I was at it...so basically a 6 leaf HD set-up. Car went from a bit slushy in the back to nice and firm but still rode nice, and didn't sag much when I loaded up the trunk.

But you will probably end up with the back of the car sitting a tad higher...think I gained 1.5" but it did settle a little over time to abut 1" higher then when I started.

tx !

i didnt buy the airjack because of the price and having to run an airline to it. it would have cost me another CDN $2400 on top of the lift,
which was just over CDN$ 7k.
i bought the bottle jack tray which also attaches to the inner rails; it was CDN$ 320. i think it will work out just as well and more cost effectively.

2 friends and i worked putting it together; 1 friend is experienced with them so it worked out well.
altogether it took about 15 hrs over 4 days to get it done and another 2 hrs getting the lift positioned just right.

i didnt buy the CDN$ 640 wheel kit to move it around - a friend has many of these bendpaks and he lent me a wheel kit.

the instruction manual was clear but the diagrams could have been bigger and shown more detail - like exactly where to lubricate the sheaves (pulleys). also the manual didnt even mention lubricating the cables, i found this out from a tech advisor.....
the assembly steps could have been better laid out - for instance we had it all together and then discovered that theres 8 safety springs to install.
and they dont make it clear that 2 very similar looking but different springs go on each corner.

i also didnt realise that i have to have an airline to release the locks to lower the deck, i assumed it would have been a lever operated release.
im not thrilled about an air line running to it across the floor.

the quality seems very good overall.
i find it odd that the ramps have a non slip rough surface but the runway beams are smooth powdercoat.
all it'd take is a bit of brake fluid on them and a wheel could slip off.
i will be doing some kind of non skid treatment on them.

the air release valve button is defective and they are sending me a new one; im not happy that its going to be 10 days + to get it, for what i paid they should have couriered it from the mainland. i can still operate the release with an air compressor for the time being.

the lift is positioned so that my 78 Salon at 19' 3" 231 "can fit on the lift and have 1/4" clearance from the front wall and the side garage door will open and clear the Salon by less than a 1/4"

im pretty happy with it.

hope this gives some insight,
and any questions just ask
mark
Thank you very much for the details on the installation! I will finally get to assemble my Bendpak 4 post lift this fall and your feedback will be incorporated into my install.
I have air on the wall nearest where I am going to place the lift in the shop.
I will probably put some of that grip tape on the runway beams or apply a non-skid type coating on them.

Thoughts?
The extra leaf will help with cornering, ride should be fine. Any new spring will feel stiffer then your old spring, 5 or 6. You can have a spring shop flatten the arch if you think it is too much. Take old set of springs for comparison.

Back