What do guys use for rear speakers

SGT FURY

Reaction score
image.jpeg
I like to keep things original. Just wondering what you guys do with the rear and front dash speakers?
Is there a place where they rebuild original date coded speakers?
Can originals be re-coned?
I have a set of rear speakers from a 61 Plymouth HIFI stero I would like to use?
Is there a Chrysler reproduction speaker available?
Got this new Chrysler speaker,but don't quite like the made in China logo

For the last 20 yrs I've bought the factory infinity speakers out of late models very cheaply. They have dried up as oem systems got more sophisticated.
Not originals but sound great and do still have the pentastar.

If you're going to use your original radio and replace the speakers, the speakers MUST be 8 ohms impedance or the radio will be damaged over time. Most currently available replacement speakers out there are 4 ohms. Don't use them.

Yes, original speakers can be reconed.

There is a place that sells excellent replacements - I've bought from them and couldn't be happier.

Classic Car Speakers

If you're going to use your original radio and replace the speakers, the speakers MUST be 8 ohms impedance or the radio will be damaged over time. Most currently available replacement speakers out there are 4 ohms. Don't use them.

There is a place that sells excellent replacements - I've bought from them and couldn't be happier.

Classic Car Speakers
Great point, I omitted that I use modern head units

I went with the dual voice coil speakers from Retro Sound for the front and rear speakers.
The sound was good, factory sizes, and they have a low profile so fitting in the factory locations was not an issue.
I got them, a AM/FM CD head unit, and a under the dash box from Crutchfield.

I'm using single Dual Voice Coils in front and back with a aurora upgrade by Tayman. Unbelievably crisp sound. Radio is factory am/fm wonderbar so all looks factory. Speakers are Custom Autosound and fit perfectly. As Ross mentioned, you need to match your speaker with the radio output. DVC speakers would probably be waste since the output is not setup up for it.

If you are planning to use two rear speakers, you can also wire the 4ohm speakers in series, rather than parallel, 4 ohms +4 ohms= 8 ohms.

Dave

Dave, Can you explain the Series, vice Parallel wiring for those of us who are electronics-illiterate? I have a few new Mopar speakers out of newer Chargers, etc that I was planning on using in my 74 Charger SE, 71 Challenger and 72 Sebring Plus with original Mopar AM/FM Radios...... Thanks

yes you can wire to accomodate the feed as per above ^^. its all just math and calculating the driven load on the end. the front spkr in my fury was single dash 4x10 and the way the dash is shaped i couldnt shimmy in 6x9 or 5" rounds or etc.

always always always pioneer 6x9s. always. since BITD. just buy them you will like them. i got the 5 way 600w or whatever their biggest ones are. if you want to run crossovers and seperate drivers and all that then the choices open up more besides just slammin in some 6x9s, but your getting into audiophile territory. i had CT audio tweets and 5" rounds for highs and mids for a while up front, but swapped it all out with more 6x9s...

right now i run a jvc 97 marine deck ,crunch 1000w amp, 4 6x9s, and a fosgate sealed box out back.

its gooooood :)

try to set off car alarms -

- saylor

For circuits resistance is added in series, and divided in parallel. Sometimes it helps to visualize electricity like water through pipes. Voltage is like the water pressure, current is the water flow. If you plumbed 2 lengths of 1/2" pipe in series you would have the pressure drop across the first length of pipe and a lower pressure enter the second pipe and further reduce across it. The amount of water flow would be the same through both pipes.
In parallel circuits, the water flow is divided across both pipes. You would still have the same starting pressure and ending pressure (assume 0). The only difference is that you will flow more water because you have double the pipe cross section.
With the factory speakers rated at 8 ohms you will get x current flow through the radio at a given volume level. If you substitute a 4 ohm speaker the current flow will double, and this increased current flow is what will ruin the factory radio.

For circuits resistance is added in series, and divided in parallel. Sometimes it helps to visualize electricity like water through pipes. Voltage is like the water pressure, current is the water flow. If you plumbed 2 lengths of 1/2" pipe in series you would have the pressure drop across the first length of pipe and a lower pressure enter the second pipe and further reduce across it. The amount of water flow would be the same through both pipes.
In parallel circuits, the water flow is divided across both pipes. You would still have the same starting pressure and ending pressure (assume 0). The only difference is that you will flow more water because you have double the pipe cross section.
With the factory speakers rated at 8 ohms you will get x current flow through the radio at a given volume level. If you substitute a 4 ohm speaker the current flow will double, and this increased current flow is what will ruin the factory radio.
Voltage = Water pressure, or the capacity.
Current = Flow - the ability to deliver
Resistance = back pressure or the restriction of the circuit

Resistance in series simply adds. 4 + 2 ohms in series = 6 ohms of resistance.

Resistance in parallel is reciprocal add, example:

a circuit with a 4 ohm and a 2 ohm resistance in parallel adds like this:

1/4 + 1/2 = 3/4. Therefore, the resistance of a 4 ohm and a 2 ohm path is 4/3 ohms, or 1.33 ohms.

always always always pioneer 6x9s. always. since BITD. just buy them you will like them. i got the 5 way 600w or whatever their biggest ones are.

X2 on that. Just don't get the newer style, low profile one's. They're 300 watts, but have a smallish magnet, and are very disappointing.

Wiring for series and parallel is below (Click on the Mail not the icon). I am told that a 4 ohm speaker can also be converted to 8 ohm by soldering a 4 ohm resistor across the two speaker terminals (have not tried this so I do not know if it works, this would be for a single speaker system) 3175375 is correct that there will be a total of 6 ohms resistance with the two speakers wired in series but that should be close enough so that the radio will not get fried.

Dave

Attachments

• Mail0001.PDF
    15.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
I'm using Custom Autosound dual coil in the rear of my '70 300 vert. My radio is a Gary Tayman conversion. The Retrosound speaker failed miserably and the Custom Autosound speaker just plain sounds better.

Unless I'm missing something, even if you wired 2 modern speakers in series to not hurt an oem radio it'll still sound like junk because the radio barely out puts any watts. It won't drive those speakers.

Unless I'm missing something, even if you wired 2 modern speakers in series to not hurt an oem radio it'll still sound like junk because the radio barely out puts any watts. It won't drive those speakers.

Plus you still get the lousy reception from power lines etc. and poor selection of stations.
I went with the Tayman conversion and bluetooth satellite radio from my iphone. Even my local talk radio is available through iheart XM radio.

If you want your old speakers rebuilt (re-coned), try:
Jackson Speaker Service.
(517) 789-6400

3921 Pine Crest Ct
Jackson, MI 49203
I have used them several times, reasonable, reliable.
Mark

If you use modern speakers in series you want as high a sensitivity as you can find. At least 90db. Normally I suggest Infinity reference speakers but they are 3 ohm and the pair will look like a 6 ohm to the head unit. But as said earlier 6ohm may or may not be ok for stock head unit.

I have these (Faital Pro 3" Full Range) in one of my cars and while they look boring they do a really nice job with minimal power.

Or these Massive Audio speakers. If you go to 4" you have more choices in different brands.

upload_2020-12-29_23-24-32.png
This diagram is fior 2 8ohm - you would be using 2 4ohm.

Classic Car Speakers

If you want your old speakers rebuilt (re-coned), try Jackson Speaker Service (in Michigan) at: (517) 789-6400

Thank you for these links. I will be replacing the dash pad of Regina FQ3, my turquoise Polara 'vert, which came equipped with the R22 8-track radio. I plan to take that opportunity to either have the three dash speakers re-coned (additional reviews of Ron's work here) or buy replacements from S&M Electro Tech.

Question: if I buy new (reproduction) units, what dimensions do I need? The information in the 1970-1971 parts book manual does not help. I believe I ought to get one 4"x10" slim oval (center unit) plus a pair of 3.5" round, 3.5" square, or 4" square speakers "for stereo radio/tape applications". But... which pair for a 1970 Polara with the R22 non-AC dash?

Can anyone let me know? paging owners likely have pulled a 1970 Dodge dash apart, including perhaps @polara71 @71Polara383 @Fratzog @1969vert500 @saforwardlook @amazinblue82 or a Plymouth dash @1970FuryConv

Last edited:
I just happened to have a non-ac 69 Fury dash out and took these pics. I would think these would be called 3.5" round but the actual dimensions are 3 3/8" dia, 1 1/2" depth, mounting holes 4" apart. Looks like the cone has a part number on it. Might be 3505-31. Its hard to read. Maybe -311 A normal magnet 3.5 wont fit without cutting the gauge mount that is in the pic. But that's for Fury so Polara may have different config.
IMG_1651[1].JPG
IMG_1652[1].JPG
IMG_1649[1].JPG
IMG_1650[1].JPG

Back