What Is A Survivor?

SportFury70

Reaction score
Hi All,

As the headline says, what is a survivor to you folks? If it is possible I would also like for you folks to tell me if a car we have right now qualifies as one.

According to Mr. Mel Major from Mopar Muscle in March 2002 a survivor- "must have at least 80% of it's original paint, and interior. Engine bays and exhaust that have received mild maintenance related changes does not mean you are disqualified." The Carlisle Chrysler Nationals says "all vehicles must be at least 85% original in all areas including paint."

Here is my question- My stepfather has a 1967 Plymouth Fury II station wagon (as you've seen in my photo garage) that I believe is a current survivor. The car still has its original 318 2bbl engine but it is very tired, single exhaust, and 90% original paint. The interior is no longer original, is a different color and now has bucket seats. Also Fury III door trim and taillights were added. The plan is to add a 440, dual exhaust and a trailer hitch someday. Is the car a survivor right now in the state it is in and will it still be when the new engine is in and dual exhaust is on? Here is a picture. Thread to the new interior..... New '67 Fury II Station Wagon Interior....
20200415_133140.jpeg

Nice car but not a "Survivor" by most if not all show standards. Basically it needs to be in as delivered condition with only routine maintenance changes allowed, ie tune up components, hoses and belts etc. All the major stuff needs to be original to the car like paint, powertrain and interior.

Kevin

Nope, And it is not an opinion it’s a fact. When you start a list of the changes where is the question? Different taillights and trim? Interior change color and seating type? There no question on this car.
I understand it needed interior, and owner likes the changes. But that’s just it, it’s been changed, it not a survivor by any stretch of the imagination.

maybe ask this guy?

Very few Real survivors.

Last edited:
To me survivor means that a car is a survivor if there´s nothing changed but maintenance parts.
Means new brakes / shocks / exhaust/ tires etc is fine
Paint, trim, interior, drivetrain must be original

Thank you everyone who answered so far, I appreciate the comments and opinions. Don't get me wrong the stuff can easily be undone, if we so choose but it's too bad we no longer have a survivor especially in a wagon as it seems they are getting pretty rare these days. Bummer :(:BangHead:

They are all survivors, in my mind. People have surgeries, why not our cars? :lol:

I refer to cars as original, but when I see a car that has only had the simple maintenance items replaced, I will call it a survivor, but it's mostly still all original parts, that's my reasoning.

Last edited:
I consider my 67 Polara 500 a borderline survivor and the only upgrade done to it is that the front seats have been reupholstered, (to original). Plus it now rides on 15" steel wheels in place of the original 14". All else that was replaced is considered maint items. I did detect some repainted areas, (passenger front fender and door). But it must have happened when the car was almost new. 2nd owner, i'm the 3rd, had no knowledge it had been done.

Still, the car has 86K miles on it and is not as pristine as a lot of survivors I've seen.
It will soon have a new top. So I think it is borderline survivor, for whatever that's worth.
DSC05507.JPG
DSC05463.JPG

You still have the original top? Mine still has its original, stitching has failed around the rear window welting. That, general wear and shrinking have me thinking 50 years is enough for it. I've seen some on eBay that look to be a close match for the original.

Paint,top,interior,engine compartment,ECT. All original,only upgrade is electronic ignition.

0913181104a.jpg

0907181158c.jpg

0907181158b.jpg

0907181157.jpg

You still have the original top? Mine still has its original, stitching has failed around the rear window welting. That, general wear and shrinking have me thinking 50 years is enough for it. I've seen some on eBay that look to be a close match for the original.

google "perfect fit tops", ask for Putt. I got the top for my 69 300 convertible and it was perfect. My trim guy installed it. He has been in the business for 50+ years and said it was one of the best tops he had worked with. Crushed vinyl material is what you want, as original.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Top is original 51 years old and still soft! Have orig dated blue boot and orig floor mats.

A couple more.....View attachment 372137
Factory paint runView attachment 372138
Old exhaust
Nope, I see a safety thing-look at the alternator mounting? WTH? Bolted to the head. Probably bolted to the bracket also. Needs to have the spacer between the ears and the long bolt through them. It keeps the ears from breaking off. They could break over time with it mounting that way.

Now look at the rest of the underhood. What holds the air cleaner in Place? Wing it gone. The master cylinder is an aftermarket replacement, not original type. The bolt on top is different with a larger bolt size holding it on. Take the aftermarket sticker off the upper rad hose. Worm drive hose clamps not Corbin clamps. Bypass hose not painted engine color. Radiator number is 2898055, that is a 68 rad in a 67 car, didn’t come that way. Voltage regulator replaced with aftermarket. Aftermarket negative battery cable with an accessory wire with a yellow crimp connector on it. Never came that way. Battery is a one size fits all as it has GM bolt on studs on it as well as posts. Rear shocks with coil springs? Magnum wheels and fat tires?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a neat and clean car. The interior looks nice with buckets and console but it’s changed. It’s pretty original on the paint, but many things changed from stock, too far away now. Not even close To a survivor. You wouldn’t get close to the survivor area at a major show.

From Ct, You must have walked through the survivor tent at Carlisle right?

Last edited:
Definitely not a survivor but a really cool wagon in amazing shape. I love the interior upgrade. That would be a great car to cruise around in. Just to have a 53 year old rust free, original paint body is quite rare. Dropping in a 440 would make it a real blast to drive. As long as you do not do an LS swap you won't get any grief here. I would love to have a '67 or '68 wagon in that kind of shape.

Back