What is that noise?

I think it’s a dry belt or bearing spinning in the front somewhere
An old trick is to hold a wax crayon against the belts as they rotate to lubricate the belts
You have to be super careful though
Kind of acts as a belt dressing
If that fixes or changes the sounds then you are close to the solution

An old trick is to hold a wax crayon against the belts as they rotate to lubricate the belts

a bar of soap does the same thing

Kinda sorta sounds like a bearing - is the p/s pump full? Although it could be a belt also.

Loosen the belts to the alternator and A/C. Spin the alternator by hand, it should turn freely with minimal noise. Next do the same with the pulley for the A/C. Next, check the water pump, if it is failing it will usually have a rough spot as you turn the fan. If all of those are ok, remove the belt from the power steering and see if the noise goes away.

Dave

They shouldn't, what's it sound like when they're removed?
Just got the car back after being restored for the last decade. Engine was rebuilt in Tx and I've never taken off the belts. Me thinks I'm gonna ask for tools for my birthday...or Christmas...or Easter

Crayon? I stopped coloring 45 plus years ago.

Loosen the belts to the alternator and A/C. Spin the alternator by hand, it should turn freely with minimal noise. Next do the same with the pulley for the A/C. Next, check the water pump, if it is failing it will usually have a rough spot as you turn the fan. If all of those are ok, remove the belt from the power steering and see if the noise goes away.

Dave
Alternator and water pump are brand new...but knowing my luck...

I just thought of this. Check the alignment of the pulleys against the belt, i.e, the belts rubbing against the side of the pulley. Good Luck

I just thought of this. Check the alignment of the pulleys against the belt, i.e, the belts rubbing against the side of the pulley. Good Luck
Good call, man. Look at the forward and reverse sides of your belts for any strange polishing or fraying.
If it is an alignment issue and it's making that kind of racket, you'll likely see it in the belt.
Otherwise it could be a bearing in the AC clutch but go for the easy first.

Thanks to those that put me in the direction that noise may be from power steering fluid. Now, can someone tell me what fluid that I should buy and how much to add?

Just regular ol' power steering juice, fill it to the bottom of the reservoir and not up to into the fill neck. Pull that belt and run it to see if that's it.

Filled p/s fluid. Did nothing for the sound. Tried soap...nothing. Tried lavender scented soap for aroma therapy...nada. Drove the car down to local garage to see what they thought. Census was...push rod? Will need to pull off valve cover. Cost for just that would be about the same as a good bottle of bourbon. Guess that bottle will have to wait. Just to top off how my day has been...car wouldn't start. They graciously jumped her for me. Drove to pharmacy, came out thinking..please start...please start. Nope, not in the cards. Luckly, a nice gentleman had cables. He agreed with push rods and said "lady, your alternator is cold..should be warm". Well, by golly...let's just add another thing to Marians plate. So now I'm back home. Dreading what I'm gonna tell the better half. Maybe I won't until he's gotten his proposals done and they win some contracts...and he's drank a good bottle of bourbon. Soooo, how's your day been going?

Push rod? I mean, I wasn't right next to the car and am judging off video sound but that sounded awful "outside of the engine" and "really close to the microphone" to me. If it weren't a malaligned belt, I'd have been sure it would be in the AC pulley....
Speaking of which,have you tried engaging the AC to see if the sins persists? Put a dowel up to the AC pump housing and your ear while it's running?

I got a no way it's a pushrod feeling.
I hope I'm right!
Sorry your day sucked.

Back