What is that noise?

Push rod? I mean, I wasn't right next to the car and am judging off video sound but that sounded awful "outside of the engine" and "really close to the microphone" to me. If it weren't a malaligned belt, I'd have been sure it would be in the AC pulley....
Speaking of which,have you tried engaging the AC to see if the sins persists? Put a dowel up to the AC pump housing and your ear while it's running?

I got a no way it's a pushrod feeling.
I hope I'm right!
Sorry your day sucked.
Would love to check AC but again....tried to start her and she won't.

If ya'll know of anyone in KCK (KANSAS CITY KANSAS) that could come check her out...I'd appreciate it. Otherwise..I'm done for now.

Well now it sounds like you have a charging issue. Did you notice where the gauge was when you did your drive?

Filled p/s fluid. Did nothing for the sound. Tried soap...nothing. Tried lavender scented soap for aroma therapy...nada. Drove the car down to local garage to see what they thought. Census was...push rod? Will need to pull off valve cover. Cost for just that would be about the same as a good bottle of bourbon. Guess that bottle will have to wait. Just to top off how my day has been...car wouldn't start. They graciously jumped her for me. Drove to pharmacy, came out thinking..please start...please start. Nope, not in the cards. Luckly, a nice gentleman had cables. He agreed with push rods and said "lady, your alternator is cold..should be warm". Well, by golly...let's just add another thing to Marians plate. So now I'm back home. Dreading what I'm gonna tell the better half. Maybe I won't until he's gotten his proposals done and they win some contracts...and he's drank a good bottle of bourbon. Soooo, how's your day been going?

That noise is not coming from a push rod and do not take your car back there. Start with the obvious problem first, you car is not charging the battery. Given that you have what sounds like a ball bearing noise coming from the front of the car, as previously noted, you probably have an alternator that the bearings have gone south in. Deal with that first. I suspect that a replacement alternator will solve both of your problems. Have your better half or some other willing individual take off the alternator. Most auto parts will test them for free and buy him a bottle of bourbon if that is what it takes. Will still be a cheap fix.

Dave

Dave

That noise is not coming from a push rod and do not take your car back there. Start with the obvious problem first, you car is not charging the battery. Given that you have what sounds like a ball bearing noise coming from the front of the car, as previously noted, you probably have an alternator that the bearings have gone south in. Deal with that first. I suspect that a replacement alternator will solve both of your problems. Have your better half or some other willing individual take off the alternator. Most auto parts will test them for free and buy him a bottle of bourbon if that is what it takes. Will still be a cheap fix.
Dave

We've told him a few times to remove belts and check and report back. It's a sad commentary when they don't do that! How the hell else are we supposed to help him?

Do new belts make this kind of noise?

Sorry I took so long... time to make this work for lady who needs to get a tool set.

If a belt noise... squirting a little water on the belts will usually get it to clear up for a second.

If not, the easiest way is to buy a mechanics stethoscope, just a few bucks at the cheap tool places. When using the stethoscope, be careful not to stick the probe into anything moving and don't put it on the valve covers, but rather the bolts, the iron parts of the engine and the housing of the belt driven accessories. When you find your noise area, you'll know it... it'll be loud.

If there are more questions... check back for more advice... useful and otherwise.:)

Yup...I'm a lady. Well, some would disagree. I'd love to have tools, knowledge and bodily working parts. But hey...it's what I've been dealt. I haven't worked on this car since I was 14. Helped my dad rebuild engine. He told me what to do and I did it. Sorry that he passed away 3 years later from cancer. I'f I knew how to take belts off, I would have. If I knew how to check alternator, I would have. I'm not a mechanic or someone that has knowledge of how to work on a classic car. I'm a retired nurse. It is a "sad commentary", when I'm mentioned in a derogatory manner. You don't know my circumstance and you don't know me. I won't hold that against you; however, I hope in the future that you can be a lil be more understanding. Thanks.

Just wish I was closer so it would be feasible, I'd love to have a piece of getting that car back on the road.

Just wanted to update anyone about what's happening to the car. A very dear and mopar loving person will be traveling here to help me with the car. I won't mention name. I look forward to his help. With that being said, I want to say that I have not been offended by some comments and will reach out personally to discuss this. I'm not a drama queen and I'm hopeful that most of you understand this. All I want is for this/my car to be up and running like I have dreamt of. With that being said, I'm concerned that newcomers will be put out if they don't seem to get their issues and feel like they are being responded to in a negative way. "We" don't need to do that. Even if they are "snowflakes, women, men, Hillary supporters *(well, I think again on that). We are here to help all and to encourage the greatest cars...the C body. So, please take the time out to think about posts. What we do here will influence those for years to come...it is our responsibility to keep the love for these cars alive. Ok, time to go do the dishes, and figure out what's for dinner. Oh and may iron some of hubbies shirts. LOL I wish you all a very happy day. M

Just wanted to update anyone about what's happening to the car. A very dear and mopar loving person will be traveling here to help me with the car. I won't mention name. I look forward to his help. With that being said, I want to say that I have not been offended by some comments and will reach out personally to discuss this. I'm not a drama queen and I'm hopeful that most of you understand this. All I want is for this/my car to be up and running like I have dreamt of. With that being said, I'm concerned that newcomers will be put out if they don't seem to get their issues and feel like they are being responded to in a negative way. "We" don't need to do that. Even if they are "snowflakes, women, men, Hillary supporters *(well, I think again on that). We are here to help all and to encourage the greatest cars...the C body. So, please take the time out to think about posts. What we do here will influence those for years to come...it is our responsibility to keep the love for these cars alive. Ok, time to go do the dishes, and figure out what's for dinner. Oh and may iron some of hubbies shirts. LOL I wish you all a very happy day. M

Very well said, Marian. I think there are some people here who have a few drinks, and then they get online. . .

I think there are some people here who have a few drinks, and then they get online. . .

horshack ooh ooh.gif

Back