what made up your mind to move Dave?

polara71

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
To get out of Trevs resurrection thread I made a new one.....

I was asked "what made up my mind to move"

Last July I turned 51. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it. New Jersey just simply sucks everywhere you turn. It has very few redeeming qualities and the few it has are spoiled by 10 million legal people and another 2.5 million illegal. It is one of the smallest states and has the highest number of people per square mile. The traffic lights, toll booths, traffic, rude obnoxious attitude ... There is a running joke where NJ is the only State where someone will gladly hold the door for you at the Wawa ( convenience store) and run you down in the parking lot .
Then you head west and see space, lots of space. You see similar space in Upstate NY and in Maine, but not like out West .....
I have a 10 year plan that SHOULD send Diane and I far away from Jersey in 9 to 13 years.

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

Look at the traffic ...................

IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

While not my photo this picture is no exaggeration of the western skies

mccall%20comp-L.jpg

The only problem with moving out in the boonies is you are a L O N G ways from a good hospital & paramedics. As well as law inforcement if something's where to happen. Seconds matter.

Just because Im showing what is out there to sooth the soul doesnt mean there isnt towns about. If I can move to a State four / five times the size of my current one with 15% of the population , why wouldnt I ? Hell, you are bitching about the development near you. You of all on the board HAS to understand....

I do understand Dave. I moved out here 15 years ago. Much younger & in good health. The closest hospital 15 miles away closed & had a poor reputation. The ones in Raleigh are great but an hour away. Yes they are indeed building sub division out here like crazy. But nothing else. Nothing. Sure it will come in time. No harm intended. Enjoy you new home.

I know no harm Bob .... im not worried about the hospital stuff right now, perhaps in 10 years that could change. Staying here will kill me however and I certainly wont need the hospital but rather the morgue .

Im not certain were going yet but, thats the plan. Retiring in New Jersey is impossible . I dont wanna retire but rather, semi retire. I wanna keep busy with much less stress.

What you are planning makes perfect sense. Britta and I have had similar discussions but in our case the target area would have been further south to avoid the miserable winter weather. Where it runs off the rails is her not wanting to put any significant distance between herself and the girls and any future potential grand kids. It sounds like you have overcome that hurdle with Diane.

What you are planning makes perfect sense. Britta and I have had similar discussions but in our case the target area would have been further south to avoid the miserable winter weather. Where it runs off the rails is her not wanting to put any significant distance between herself and the girls and any future potential grand kids. It sounds like you have overcome that hurdle with Diane.

Diane wants to move somewhere else, she cant stand it here, HATES IT!. As you know I have family in Idaho, including grand-kids. I also have family here, including grand-kids. Diane wants to go somewhere warm, but that usually puts you near a large population. It makes no sense to go anywhere other than where the kids are so while a place like Kentucky would be great it makes no sense. Its either Jersey or Idaho ...... Once I presented her with the taxes vs income we'll face as seniors she understood and will mentally prepare.

Fun facts .. this house at $550,000 with 7 bedrooms, 4 baths and two half baths 2.5 acres

514deed5f20c552565754f098c3c962al-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

taxes are 4 grand ................

my house is under 1200 square ft and my taxes are at 7 grand .

I'm understanding now. I assume you will be going for something less than 7 bedrooms but with a nice large out building. At least with your construction background you can do your own home inspection or would you be building?

I'm understanding now. I assume you will be going for something less than 7 bedrooms but with a nice large out building. At least with your construction background you can do your own home inspection or would you be building?

3 Bedroom rancher, with a walk around porch, preferably on a lake / river . Were looking for the land now and once I get out there in ten I will GC the house .

Oh and the out building...? Im serious when I talk about selling out . One or all three could go so the need for an out building could possibly be only for two horses .

Back