What Makes a Police Fury a Pursuit Car?

Pics of the tag with A38 would be appreciated.
Kinda hard to see the A38
copkars.jpg
rear.jpg

And like a lot of Fleet cars it became a taxi cab ! Check out the mileage ! These cars were probably all done in by 72 or 73.
Looks like this ones been painted as well.
copcab.jpg

Here is a Windsor Built OPP Fury. This close to the end of the line for C bodys built in Windsor.View attachment 115058

Do you have the fender tags for any of the cars you have invoices for? Interesting that the S.O. Invoice date, the scheduled date and the shipped date are all different. Any chance you'd take a scotchbrite pad to some of those fender tag photos you've included? I think that would make it a whole lot easier for these old eyes to read.

Just an interesting note. Watched the movie "Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry" the other night. In it, there are a number of Dodge police cars chasing down the 1969 440 Dodge Charger. In the movie, Vic Morrow tells his young cop to go to the garage and pick up the "Interceptor." I don't know the year of these cop cars, but assuming '69-'71. The "Interceptor" is a 440 and when asked what the top end is,the head mechanic states "unlimited." The car, in my opinion, is probably a true "pursuit" car. You can see how the car handles in cornering, which is real flat with little body roll going into any high speed corner. Has no problem keeping up with the Charger, but that could be movieland for you. Again, these are Dodges, but its a movie I really like because of all the car chasing.

Do you have the fender tags for any of the cars you have invoices for? Interesting that the S.O. Invoice date, the scheduled date and the shipped date are all different. Any chance you'd take a scotchbrite pad to some of those fender tag photos you've included? I think that would make it a whole lot easier for these old eyes to read.
I have not come across a FT /Invoice match yet but I have thousands of tags and invoices to sort so you never know.
The SO Invoice date is I assume assigned when the dealers order is accepted at the plant. This date ; although rarely the cars true production date is the date assigned by Chrysler as the cars Scheduled Production Date. This date will be on the fender tag, broadcast sheet, vehicle traveller and factory invoicing. It's also used when ordering parts.Parts books will typically have parts "used up to " or "used after" certain dates...the SPD . Again even though it's rarely the true actual production date it should be considered the cars Birthday...it was the date the car was intended to have been built. The second date on the bottom of the invoice is probably a revised date done by the assembly plant which is (probably)closer to the cars true production date. The third date is the day the car was shipped. It could have been sitting around in the factory lot for days, possibly weeks. All this is what I assume ....I could be way off .

Here are the rear of the fender tags bead blasted and primed for our old eyes lol.
rear.jpg

rear.jpg

Here is a 69 PK21. I'm pretty sure this was on a Virginia state trooper car that was in a giant stack (20 or so high and 50 wide) in a junkyard around 1990. I was able to get the hood open enough to get the unsilenced air cleaner off the 440 and the fender tags. Top of the stack was a purple 70 Challenger R/T with painted racing mirrors but nobody wanted to climb up !
pk21k9d234976.jpg
PK21K9D234976R.jpg

Just an interesting note. Watched the movie "Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry" the other night. In it, there are a number of Dodge police cars chasing down the 1969 440 Dodge Charger. In the movie, Vic Morrow tells his young cop to go to the garage and pick up the "Interceptor." I don't know the year of these cop cars, but assuming '69-'71. The "Interceptor" is a 440 and when asked what the top end is,the head mechanic states "unlimited." The car, in my opinion, is probably a true "pursuit" car. You can see how the car handles in cornering, which is real flat with little body roll going into any high speed corner. Has no problem keeping up with the Charger, but that could be movieland for you. Again, these are Dodges, but its a movie I really like because of all the car chasing.

To my best recollection they were all 72 Polaras.

I have not come across a FT /Invoice match yet but I have thousands of tags and invoices to sort so you never know.
The SO Invoice date is I assume assigned when the dealers order is accepted at the plant. This date ; although rarely the cars true production date is the date assigned by Chrysler as the cars Scheduled Production Date. This date will be on the fender tag, broadcast sheet, vehicle traveller and factory invoicing. It's also used when ordering parts.Parts books will typically have parts "used up to " or "used after" certain dates...the SPD . Again even though it's rarely the true actual production date it should be considered the cars Birthday...it was the date the car was intended to have been built. The second date on the bottom of the invoice is probably a revised date done by the assembly plant which is (probably)closer to the cars true production date. The third date is the day the car was shipped. It could have been sitting around in the factory lot for days, possibly weeks. All this is what I assume ....I could be way off .

Here are the rear of the fender tags bead blasted and primed for our old eyes lol.View attachment 115875

Interesting that on all of these 1970 tags, only Newark stamped them A38. Belvedere did not. I was told a long time ago that what got stamped on these tags was somewhat at the discretion of the guy operating the machine that made them.
Please let me know if you are ever looking for help to sort and file. :)

Me too. I have relatives in Courtice. So you're less than an hour north?

In Fusie times, ttt for a finished short block was about 35-50'/lbs. On a modern engine it's about 5-7'/lbs.

I'm a bit late to this party, but as I was reading through this thread, this statistic really stuck out. I haven't built all that many motors from the ground up, but this seems like a huge difference. Pretty startling.

I'm a bit late to this party, but as I was reading through this thread, this statistic really stuck out. I haven't built all that many motors from the ground up, but this seems like a huge difference. Pretty startling.

Manufacturing ability and tolerances have improved and decreased considerably in the last four decades.

Furyman: "My Top Ends Unlimited !!!"

LOL Best line in the whole movie! I use that line myself when I pit my 1.6 litre 2015 Hyundai Accent against some new hemi powered Charger R/T who thinks he can beat me. Of course I don't want to shame the guy, so I just let him go.

Some of the 1973 Fury Pursuit special equipment and markings my Fury III has include a labeled switch to turn the AC off when over 85 mph to totally disable the compressor, a knob labled lock to fast idle, (this must be to boost rpm for the alternator to run all lights when parked, unit number painted in lower door jam, certified 140 speedo, traction Lok rear end, sway bars, battery shield, one key fits every lock on car even glove box, head liner has switch with reading light between visors, 440 steel crank shaft E86, U code engine, extra wide rims painted body color of brown, note 1973 is the first year for colored NE hwy patrol cars, whip antenna with antenna lock forward on windshield. Many F codes, roof reinforced, body extra weld options, special order stamp and added fender tag tab.

Back