image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Picked up 9 65-73 440s today. I pulled these running 440s out of cars in the mid 80s from a junkyard I worked at then. When the yard closed they were stored in a barn. When the property was sold they were placed outside at storage yard covered badly (not by me)
They have been sitting outside for 20+ years rotten oil pans,valve covers, siezed,water filled.
You guys see anything worth salvaging off these? Or should I just toss them in the scrap bin? There are NO HP motors

I would find a core buyer or engine shop that would take them off your hands. If i had to guess, they could all probably be brought back.

View attachment 407563 View attachment 407564 View attachment 407565 View attachment 407566 View attachment 407567 View attachment 407568 View attachment 407569 View attachment 407570 View attachment 407571 View attachment 407572 Picked up 9 65-73 440s today. I pulled these running 440s out of cars in the mid 80s from a junkyard I worked at then. When the yard closed they were stored in a barn. When the property was sold they were placed outside at storage yard covered badly (not by me)
They have been sitting outside for 20+ years rotten oil pans,valve covers, siezed,water filled.
You guys see anything worth salvaging off these? Or should I just toss them in the scrap bin? There are NO HP motors
Quite a few useable parts there. Cranks & rods. Bust the pistons out they are no good. Head bolts, valve cover bolts. Oil pumps, all the engine bolts. Engine to trans bolts, Pulleys, valve cover look rough but if any are saveable. I’ve parted out several engines & transmissions. You have $100 in engine bolts for each engine. The small big block valves are getting hard to find. I even had a local machine shop call me this summer looking for an 70’s 318 head. He had a cracked one & due to Covid couldn’t find one.

View attachment 407563 View attachment 407564 View attachment 407565 View attachment 407566 View attachment 407567 View attachment 407568 View attachment 407569 View attachment 407570 View attachment 407571 View attachment 407572 Picked up 9 65-73 440s today. I pulled these running 440s out of cars in the mid 80s from a junkyard I worked at then. When the yard closed they were stored in a barn. When the property was sold they were placed outside at storage yard covered badly (not by me)
Also the water pump housings & bolts. I’ve sold 3 this year so far.

I'm looking for a 440 with an early casting date of summer of 1965 June - September. Do you have anything? A 440 that early would not have any marks identifying it as a non TNT motor would it?

The heads can probably be saved, maybe the cranks, the rest is mostly junk unless someone needs the log manifolds.

Dave
I'm looking for a 440 with an early casting date of summer of 1965 June - September. Do you have anything? A 440 that early would not have any marks identifying it as a non TNT motor would it?

The heads can probably be saved, maybe the cranks, the rest is mostly junk unless someone needs the log manifolds.

Dave
A cheap or "scrap price" 440 is a good 440 in my book. Get it apart, pound out the pistons and drop the crank, caps and block off at the machine shop. Maybe you don't need the crank because you are building a stroker.

I wouldn't scrap them without at least digging in a little or finding someone that will.

I wish you were closer. I'd take a couple.

I would be happy sell any of these for scrap price. Is there any demand for the intake manifolds?
I have to do something with them soon as I have brought home too much junk lately.
I will break one apart too see what's there. There are 3 440 motors that I left behind that I could not fit on trailer.
There is one 413 there. It has a MR 413 stamp on pad? What does that mean?
I know R is 61,but what is the M mean? It looks to have a 1960 generator manifold

Vin numbers make a huge difference. If you happened to list my vin number on one of those 440's I'd be driving to your home tomorrow. Seriously.
Please just list the vin numbers and casting numbers.

What 69,70 or 71 blocks do you have? Castings and vins.

The 2nd pic down is a 70 short block if recall it has a build date of 7/22/70
I will have to check others. I know there's 2 67s 2 65s,1 73

When my machine shop operative was going to build a stock motor, he'd call his brother (who dealt in engine cores) and order up a set of rods. "Factory balance" rods, rather than buy new ones. The new-in-the-box OEM rods were expensive plus had a very tall balance pad on it, whereas the factory balance rods had much smaller balance pads on them . . . all the same weight. He'd clean them up, re-size the big end, hone the pin end, and put them in what he was building. He'd re-used the customer's crank or get that with the rods, too.

Obviously, the heads would rebuild, too. New bronze-wall helicoil guides, new valves and springs, and whatever else to rebuild them, too. With the heads off and the rotating assembly removed, then you can check the cyl bores for size and condition.

Intake manifolds? If somebody just wanted a stock intake and wasn't picky about it.

What made these motors "HP" was usually what went into them, rather than special blocks. Just like a 4.0" bore Chevy small block in that respect.

I know lots of people are now keyed on "crate motors" from where ever, but I also suspect that the DIY people might like to find a rebuildable kit of good quality to start with, which is what these motors could provide. Obviously worth more as "pieces" than as "an assembly", as they are. Merchandizing would be the key to the whole deal, I suspect. Not every body wants to go to a salvage yard in search of "an engine", which might not rebuild. With your stash pulled apart, identified, and inventoried, you'd give them "known" items they could see what they're going to get now, rather than later. You could keep all of the fasteners with each block, too.

Perhaps I'm too optimistic? But certainly not a "quick turn" deal. Or one to build a retirement fund off of.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back