What to do with all these junk 440s

Question, if you pull oil pan and rod caps on a siezed engine , will the crank come out freely? Or is locked in by the stroke?

My guess is it’d be locked in if you can’t move any rods.

I would be interested in the distributor cores. PM me cant pay much for them .

few years back I hauled a 383 home. it had been sitting out for 30 years.
I took the acetelyne torch and cut the rods and got the crank out. to my amazement the crank had enough oily sludge on it to preserve it. once I had the crank out I beat on a few pistons and they wouldn't budge. the heads were junk. valve covers are on the 440 in the polara. oil pan is in decent shape. I have a bag of usable bolts.

One Hell of a Whack with a BIG Rubber Mallet after you have removed the End Caps May Prove Beneficial in attempting to Free the Cranks.
Unless they have been sitting under water there really isn't much reason to think the Pins should be completely frozen.
Rubber Mallet will not do any Damage unless it bounces back & whacks You in the Noggin. LOL
Tony.M

Crank will be "locked in" until you remove the main caps (marking them for their location). Plus the rod caps (marked and kept in order). Marking with a variety of methods, number stamps or punch marks are a few such methods. Rods will have to be removed from the top, with the pistons. Which might require a ridge reamer so, once free, they will slide out the top of the block.

CBODY67

Someone is always looking, recently acquired 2 running 440s (65, 68) Only picked them as delivery was included. Running 440s out my way are a rare thing, these are from another state. They need basics and are being put to use. Point being if a rebuilder doesn't want them, list em up, part em out. Forged cranks are still in demand. Tins, bolts and rebuildable blocks too, lots of good stuff there.

Why are people so narrow minded? I'm always seeing ad's for someone lookin for a 440. Is it really that hard to thumb through different Mopar boards and look through the Want ad's for people lookin for a 440 and contact them if you're lookin to sell? I guess for some folks, that that's way to much work to ask from them! Just sell them for scrap and get your *** taken to the cleaners by the junkman, when you could make a few bucks with some effort!!

440 source buys cores. Try them
Thanks for the tip. I called them and have a tentative deal to sell all the 440s. They are only 4 hours away. They only want the blocks.
Ross I will look at the 65s and set them aside if they have the right date your looking for..

Uummm,Stubbs I'm here on this forum NOW looking for good homes for these weathered stray cat 440s. Before posting them on other forums. Looks like they will be saved!! Win Win.

They will usually come apart with all rods and mains removed. Pistons will almost always go down once crank is out. You can then hone enough rust out to pound the piston back out the top. You need a 3" diameter pipe and a good sized hand sledge hammer and they will move.

Last edited:
Date coded intake manifolds are useful to resto people replacing aluminum aftermarket intakes. I have never had a problem getting rid of cast iron intakes, you will not get rich, but at least you rehomed them.

Date coded intake manifolds are useful to resto people replacing aluminum aftermarket intakes. I have never had a problem getting rid of cast iron intakes, you will not get rich, but at least you rehomed them.
Which is one reason why I still have mine, somewhere!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hey Ross, block says 7/1/65 pad says 440 with iron cross no letter I can see.

I suspect that many people will always be looking for "core" motors, even formerly-running motors. Who really want to drive several hours to hopefully find what they want, unless they can trust the seller to tell them the truth about things. Then they drive "hours" back home to find that they just bought scrap iron that's not good enough to rebuild. Not a "fun" scenario or one that the spouse would like to hear about. Nor would they like to proudly take the engine to a machine shop and discover that they could have bought somebody's crate motor, to their specs, for less money. Not "fun" dialogues, either way.

When the issue of casting date was being discussed by several of our Mopar club guys, about 30 years ago, it was noted that the casting date can preceed the "machining date" by up to 5 months. The discussion was about which blocks MIGHT have been in the cars when new, as to casting dates. Before the VIN was stamped into the pan rail.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I found what might be a 70 HP short block.. Can only see the P on pad. Has cast date of 7/22/70 If I remember right it came out of a 70 or 71 CHP car.

Back