What would you spend for......

Back to thread original question"what would you spend?" $0.0 or Nada use whatever is on the car and spend some money having a decent 2.5" exhaust put on from the manifolds back. If the shop tells you they have to use 2" pipe by the manifolds turn around and walk out they are lazy and not to be trusted, and lastly if they try to lay some BS on you about how small pipes create a source of back pressure and makes more torque turn and run out of there before thier stupid gets on you.

Sorry I kinda hijacked the thread..

Back to thread original question"what would you spend?" $0.0 or Nada use whatever is on the car and spend some money having a decent 2.5" exhaust put on from the manifolds back. If the shop tells you they have to use 2" pipe by the manifolds turn around and walk out they are lazy and not to be trusted, and lastly if they try to lay some BS on you about how small pipes create a source of back pressure and makes more torque turn and run out of there before thier stupid gets on you.

Actually a slightly reduced pipe diameter from the muffler back, (tail pipe), will slightly improve torque. Also, a crossover in the exhaust pipes will even out the cylinder pulses and provide a mellower tone.
Shoot some paint on the exhaust pipes and run the engine. The point where the paint stops burning is the optimum location for the crossover.

Brilliant. Why didn't I know that simple trick???
Still learning frim the old masters... :poke:
I always heard that same trick, but using a crayon... I am surprised that one hadn't floated past you before....

Here are my manifold number pics. Drivers side ends in 409 so I assume that is an HP and the left I have no idea of the number.

Attachments

• 20160702_135344.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 95
  • 20160702_135546.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 88
I always heard that same trick, but using a crayon... I am surprised that one hadn't floated past you before....
It could be because I'm dubuous about all the hoopla about having to have a crossover pipe or the Earth's axis will tilt and the planet will self destruct otherwise. Save humanity. Install a crossover pipe.

I compromised on mine when it had logs on it by running the smaller pipe down from the manifold and 2.5" as soon as it started under the car. The guy that did the job is a true craftsman with a bender and the pipes look OEM complete with crossover. He showed me the flanges and they won't accommodate a 2.5" pipe, at least the ones for logs won't.

Kevin

It could be because I'm dubuous about all the hoopla about having to have a crossover pipe or the Earth's axis will tilt and the planet will self destruct otherwise. Save humanity. Install a crossover pipe.

I won't disagree, a poorly located crossover may as well not be there at all. The paint trick sounds better than the crayon to me because if your doing it you would really want to give the car a couple full throttle runs IMO. As far as pipe size, its useless to go bigger than the collector or flange... that is where you would create a place for gases to slowdown and hurt velocity of the gases on their way to the exit. Sizing down would help with backpressure loss, but I hate that terminology... In your powerband, you want the exhaust to be able to keep up, not build pressure. If you get too much bigger than that the low end driveablity will fall off. Factor in the bends and how restricted they are if not mandrel bent and that is the sizing that's good... there must be a sizing calculator on the internet once you figure out your true cfm the engine is pumping and the exhaust gases expand so don't size down if you want top end power to stay... dont size up too much or you kill the velocity.

I did spend a bit of dyno time years ago where we were comparing different exhaust systems on the same cars. A nice high flowing exhaust usually was better than open after the cat (sorry all late models) and it really depended on the factory system how well it did. The one over sized system tested fell off until nitrous oxide was used... I do believe there is a lot to improve from original, I don't believe most of us will ever use the well designed/made system... a simple "uncorking" from a reasonable set of duals will likely "wake up" the car enough for most cruiser's to find happiness. Heck, most of us are more concerned about the sound than the maximum power output.

An X works even better and changes the sound above 4500. Paint works well with open headers for collector length mixed results doing it with mufflers, could be cheap paint, bad tune, or too much cruise before the full throttle run.

Back