What would you spend for......

celticwarlock

Reaction score
What is the going rate for a set of C-body HP exhaust manifolds? My car is a '69 NY, and the motor is a 440. I seem to remember hearing that the driver's side one is not C-body specific, or at least, is less expensive....but the passenger's side can be quite expensive and is only for a C-body application. 1). Is this true? 2). What can I expect to spend for both?

Can't help with the pricing, but I believe you have your sides mixed up. I am sure it is the driver's side is the C specific.

Can't help with the pricing, but I believe you have your sides mixed up. I am sure it is the driver's side is the C specific.
Thank you for pointing this out! I thought I might have it ***-backwards. Does this mean that the PS one from a different application will fit, and fit well? If anyone can give me a ballpark figure for the pair, that would be awesome. Maybe someone looking to take a pair to Carlisle would like to save themselves the trouble of packing them up.....if the $ is right.

I have heard they do not add any appreciable HP over stock manifolds ,,but only what I have read. I would like to hope that is not true.

Thank you for pointing this out! I thought I might have it ***-backwards. Does this mean that the PS one from a different application will fit, and fit well? If anyone can give me a ballpark figure for the pair, that would be awesome. Maybe someone looking to take a pair to Carlisle would like to save themselves the trouble of packing them up.....if the $ is right.
I am 99% sure passenger side is the same B&C bodies.

I have heard they do not add any appreciable HP over stock manifolds ,,but only what I have read. I would like to hope that is not true.

The research I have done suggests they do at least flow better than stock. I suspect it will not be a significant HP gain at all, but the small upgrade may be worth what they cost. They will be far less $ than a good set of headers, I would think. For a variety of reasons, I will not ever be putting headers on this car.

The driver side is specific, and does add performance, as you now have two exhaust pipes Instead of one. Plus they are larger in Diameter. The Passenger is the same B or C. I have a Driver side if you are Interested.

The driver side is specific, and does add performance, as you now have two exhaust pipes Instead of one. Plus they are larger in Diameter. The Passenger is the same B or C. I have a Driver side if you are Interested.
I already have dual exhaust, but I am looking to get something the 440 can breathe a bit better with. I will send you a PM for the DS one. I have my eyeballs on one that is elsewhere on the Internet, but it couldn't hurt to try to get the best deal possible.

They were only worth 5 HP in a dyno test on FBBO. That was over a 63-64 era log exhaust manifolds, late 60s you will probably gain less, over a set of formal exhaust manifolds close to nothing.

I agree with the $200 - 400 range. Here's a listing of applications. I know one of the ones I used wasn't intended for a C body, but I cannot remember which one or side at the moment. I'll have to try to check tonight.
exhaust manifolds 2.jpg

They were only worth 5 HP in a dyno test on FBBO. That was over a 63-64 era log exhaust manifolds, late 60s you will probably gain less, over a set of formal exhaust manifolds close to nothing.
Wow....it hardly seems worth it. $200-$400 for less than 5 HP is a poor investment. Thanks for the information, everyone.

The upswept manifolds flow better enough over the "log style" manifolds and the bang for the buck is good if you can find a set cheap enough.
The bang for the buck of HP manifolds over the "upswept" isn't really there.
Headers? Fergeddabouddit. Useless as the Pope's balls unless youre running a "built" engine and bracket racing.

Probably worth more in fuel mileage if you spend the time to tune it. I would just go with the dual exhaust and only the HP manifold if I fell into them. My 2 cents fwiw

I swapped a pair of correct HP manifolds onto Jazebelle and didn't notice any benefit or gain in power. They look cool though. Dual exhaust is all you need.

The upswept manifolds flow better enough over the "log style" manifolds and the bang for the buck is good if you can find a set cheap enough.
The bang for the buck of HP manifolds over the "upswept" isn't really there.
Headers? Fergeddabouddit. Useless as the Pope's balls unless youre running a "built" engine and bracket racing.
As for headers and bracket racing, I can say that my car races perfectly fine with stock manifolds.

Back