What's a 8 3/4 Rear end worth ?

Ironwolf

Reaction score

I may be able to get my hands for a cheap price an 8 3/4 742 case, open chuck
rear end with 3.23 gears. A buddy of mine is looking at getting a 1970 Fury sedan for parts and the car has this rear end in it. He says that I need it in my 69 !!! DO I ??? I ask !! well I figured for a few hundred bucks maybe it's worth getting but I not sure. I am kind of thinking for a few hundred why not. Any pro's, con's or input would be helpful.

Thanks Paul

I think $200 for rear axle assy is fair as it has the 742 case and not the desirable 489 case. 3.23 gears are very common too.

Last edited:
I think $200 for rear axle assy is fair as it has the 742 case and not the desirable 789 case. 3.23 gears are very common too.

I'm kind of thinking it may be just another added project for me at this time. :sFun_doh2:

What makes you think you need this Paul? I seem to remember your car having a rear axle in it when I drove it last time. The 742 is a good case and can handle anything that we're going to throw at it, it's the 741 that is the weakest and it can probably handle whatever we give it for street use as well. 489 is the best.

Is the housing and axles Included? Those gears came in the 67' GTX. And Not all were suregrip.

That complete leaf springs & all It's in a 70 Fury III sedan and it's originally out of a 67 Chrysler Newport or New Yorker. It supposedly has under 100K miles on it so that could mean 99,999.99 miles

The gears are good, the C body housing has limited value. the 742 case is excellent, for pre 69' cars. If it worked for a 66-67 Hemi car, just no sure grip. I wish it were closer, I can always use that set. without suregrip, 150 bucks is better.

Don't forget Paul, the '70 - '71 axle is slightly wider than the '65 - '69 rear. Might not make much difference, just note if you want to run wide wheels/tyres...

That complete leaf springs & all It's in a 70 Fury III sedan and it's originally out of a 67 Chrysler Newport or New Yorker. It supposedly has under 100K miles on it so that could mean 99,999.99 miles

What makes you think you need this Paul? I seem to remember your car having a rear axle in it when I drove it last time. The 742 is a good case and can handle anything that we're going to throw at it, it's the 741 that is the weakest and it can probably handle whatever we give it for street use as well. 489 is the best.

Matt, there probably nothing wrong with mine, hell I feel stupid as I do not even know what one I have as I still have not done crap to the car but move it from the warehouse it sat in all year to my dads garage this last fall. My friend had just mentioned this rear end and I was thinking for a few bills it may or may not be worth looking into. If it was a great steal of a deal which it probably is not I would maybe grab it even if just to sell it later however it's not like a small item to schlep around over & over to maybe make a few bucks or even eventually use it. Hell I still have (2) 318's and a newly rebuilt 727 tranny sitting around taking up space..

The gears are good, the C body housing has limited value. the 742 case is excellent, for pre 69' cars. If it worked for a 66-67 Hemi car, just no sure grip. I wish it were closer, I can always use that set. without suregrip, 150 bucks is better.

Well I do not have it yet, but I hear you. That's why I posted as I have no idea on this and it just came up to me the other night and it got me thinking .

Don't forget Paul, the '70 - '71 axle is slightly wider than the '65 - '69 rear. Might not make much difference, just note if you want to run wide wheels/tyres...

Good point Aidan, No I don't plan on using wider tires in fact I just bought two sets of Mirada / Cordoba aluminum rims so I am going with essentially stock tires. I also kind of wondered about that as I know the 67s are narrower that the Fusies.

I'd pass on it, it might be a decent deal but there's no meat on the bone for you and that thing is big and heavy, you'd regret it.

I'd pass on it, it might be a decent deal but there's no meat on the bone for you and that thing is big and heavy, you'd regret it.

I would have to agree for sure Matt. If I really need it that would be a whole different thing.

Thanks for your input Matt,

and also thank you to everyone else that responded.
:eek:ccasion14:

Back