What's your opinion about keeping your c-body 100 percent original?

Yours is just outstanding and you drive it! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I drive it, but not every day. I think that is why your goals are different than others. Your car is a daily driver so your primary goal is function over form. Being as my car is primarily a car show cruiser, I have the luxury of sacrificing some of the function for form. My car is easier to keep pristine for that reason as well.

I would not make a good show car owner, other than when they're using salt on the roads here, I'd be driving it, just could not help myself. Foolhardy yes, but happy.

For me, the main thing is to see these cars kept out of the derbys and out of the crushers. I want to see them where they belong, being enjoyed on the road in nice weather, at the cruise nights and at the shows. I want to see them fixed up, whether that be restored, restomoded, hot rodded or whatever, even if it's not to my particular taste. Personally, I would not "chop" the roof or do any radical customizing to the body but, I would still rather see that than to see another C-body end up in a derby.
My car was basically original but it needed some work. It needed new exhaust and I decided that I would rather have duals than replace the "correct" single exhaust. I'm doing some engine mods. I'm going to install custom wheels and tires. I plan on giving her a new paint job in a color of my choice too. I've thought about doing other things too like a console and floor shift but, because of the cost of original C-body consoles and shifters, I would probably end up using an aftermarket shifter and building a custom console. Of course, this would require buckets. I might be able to find "C" buckets, if not, then maybe "A" or "B" buckets or some other brand. I probably won't do it though because my interior is in reasonably good condition and I'm torn on disturbing it's originality. I've even thought of making a fibreglass hood. That would just be a simple matter of just putting the original hood back on later. I'm trying to stay with mods that can be easily reversed.
As far as I'm concerned the more people see C-bodies cruising, at the "show 'n' shine" or at the "drive-thru" the better. Maybe then they will want one or decide to fix the one sitting in their field instead of scrapping or derbying it. :)

Last edited:
The owner of the car should be the deciding factor in what gets done to or with the vehicle. Personally, I love to see a well kept original or faithfully restored car, but like a few others, I am a driver first. I personally don't see a whole lot of pleasure in owning a car that you can't, or fear to drive whenever you want to, but won't fault the guys who want to. Old cars sometimes require nonoriginal parts or modifications in order to keep an them on the road and as safe as possible. I have no qualms about putting modern tires, brakes, lights, seatbelts ect in a car to make it more roadworthy, but that is normally the extent I personally go to. If someone wants to Donk their car out, so be it. I might not approve and think it looks like poop, but it's their car and can always look the other way...

For me, the main thing is to see these cars kept out of the derbys and out of the crushers. I want to see them where they belong, being enjoyed on the road in nice weather, at the cruise nights and at the shows. I want to see them fixed up, whether that be restored, restomoded, hot rodded or whatever, even if it's not to my particular taste. Personally, I would not "chop" the roof or do any radical customizing to the body but, I would still rather see that than to see another C-body end up in a derby.<
My car was basically original but it needed some work. It needed new exhaust and I decided that I would rather have duals than replace the "correct" single exhaust. I'm doing some engine mods. I'm going to install custom wheels and tires. I plan on giving her a new paint job in a color of my choice too. I've thought about doing other things too like a console and floor shift but, because of the cost of original C-body consoles and shifters, I would probably end up using an aftermarket shifter and building a custom console. Of course, this would require buckets. I might be able to find "C" buckets, if not, then maybe "A" or "B" buckets or some other brand. I probably won't do it though because my interior is in reasonably good condition and I'm torn on disturbing it's originality. I've even thought of making a fibreglass hood. That would just be a simple matter of just putting the original hood back on later. I'm trying to stay with mods that can be easily reversed. <
As far as I'm concerned the more people see C-bodies cruising, at the "show 'n' shine" or at the "drive-thru" the better. Maybe then they will want one or decide to fix the one sitting in their field instead of scrapping or derbying it. :)

Yes. You sum it up quite well, better than I....esp. with your opening sentence--"the main thing is to see these cars kept out of the derbies and out of the crushers".
-NOTHING hurts more than to see an Imperial end up in a derby.

Well said.

Ok ok, fine! But I'll have to find another '67 coupe to slam then and it'll have to end up the evil twin to mine. I guess a black interior would do though, cause where am I ever going to find another silver interior?

Well, Sometimes you can't keep stuff stock. I need one plstic little wiper cam to get my wipers working. It can't be had...period. So I don't have a choice other than modding a 74-78 wiper system to make the wipers operational.

I believe there is a great chance that Matt will have the Imp at Carlisle this year.

Back