wheel stud sizes? my new studs are too big diameter for the hub holes...?

Detroit_Lives

Reaction score
I had my front hubs apart anyway and decided to change the studs
on the drivers side and do away with the lefties. A long time ago I had bought new studs supposedly for this car , I found them and removed the old studs from the hub, when I attempted to install the new studs, they are too big. ... I have a 65 Polara 2dr. so I measured the hub holes and the old studs and they are alot smaller than new studs. the old studs and the holes are about 0.605" the new studs are 0.625"
I'm talking about the diameter of the shoulder (seat) area of the stud that presses into the hub.

does anyone know where I can get the correct studs ? or should I just drill out the hub...I'd rather not open up the holes.

Maybe the extra 20 thou. is on purpose. You should have left well enough alone, and kept the ''lefties'' .

Last edited:
Find a Carquest or Napa. Most of them have many drawers full of "Dorman" wheel Nuts 'n Studs and probably the Dorman Catalog too. The new ones will not drop right in but should fit the beginning of the spline pattern reasonably close. Like Newp said .020 ain't much. You might have the right studs. Measure the spline area against the Leftys spline area.

does anyone know where I can get the correct studs ? or should I just drill out the hub...I'd rather not open up the holes.

I just went to my local Autozone - they were able to look up the correct size and give them to me - $1.99 each if I recall.

I did get a stud install tool to help pull them into the hub. I found the tool on ebay for about $25. You use it as a spacer between the hub and nut and crank the nut on drawing the stud into the hub. The tool has a bearing on the back so it doesn't get stuck.

Throw the studs in the freezer for 48 hours. Put the drums in the oven for a couple of hours.
You're supposed to draw the studs in using a huge fender washer and the flat side of the lug nut using an impact wrench.

Last edited:
I know for sure .020 oversize is never going to press in..

yes I am measuring at the spline area, there must have been two different specs cuz no way these are pressing in.
i'll check at napa, no way I'm putting chinese parts on this car tho. thanks everyone for your replies

I had my front hubs apart anyway and decided to change the studs
on the drivers side and do away with the lefties. A long time ago I had bought new studs supposedly for this car , I found them and removed the old studs from the hub, when I attempted to install the new studs, they are too big. ... I have a 65 Polara 2dr. so I measured the hub holes and the old studs and they are alot smaller than new studs. the old studs and the holes are about 0.605" the new studs are 0.625"
I'm talking about the diameter of the shoulder (seat) area of the stud that presses into the hub.

hey thanks for the replies, I still havn't sone anything with it...busy

the seat area is splined and the hub is splined. I found on some autoparts site, a couple different sizes listed but it was .625 and .650 I'm thinking the .650 was a typo cause my old studs are .605
I'll followup as soon as i can get this spec'd out for sure.

Back