Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

so far, three solvers (2 and 2/3 .. @SPF Required still tidying up :)) closed in this joint using slightly different approaches.

actually one showed me a similar public photo, taken at a different time than VW pic, but with MORE similarities in it than the skyline. I had to followup on that to explain to myself why -- and "i'll be damned" if it there was a stationary "vehicle" in the background.

i would guess several folks have seen this VW view in full panorama from their visit(s) to/from here .. unless most of their unobstructed views were easterly. nothing out there except the horizon. nice view I am sure though.

Also, its not in the game so doesn't really matter, my posted solution may put the VW's parking spot at bit more NW or SE than you solvers might have estimated. Depends on the way we each saw the "angle" of the V-Dubs parking spot vs. the skyline.

appreciate the effort of anyone playing. Again, "answer" tomorrow (thursday).

... -- and "i'll be damned" if it there was a stationary "vehicle" in the background.

Also, its not in the game so doesn't really matter, my posted solution may put the VW's parking spot at bit more NW or ...
1. That stationary vehicle is in a few of my shots.
2. I am pretty sure where it would be and I'll elaborate tomorrow.

1. That stationary vehicle is in a few of my shots.
2. I am pretty sure where it would be and I'll elaborate tomorrow.
I have never set foot on the VW "parking spot" (only driven by to the north and continued to points east) and as such only able to "eyeball" and try line stuff up with Google Earth (cuz Google Map's Pegman can't get there) sight lines.

Seems you may have been right there and with your own eyes (and camera lens) scoped the joint out?

Anyway, looking forward to anyone's perspective.

:thumbsup:

#414.

Miami FL, southern side of the man-made Dodge Island, reportedly named that by Wisconsin friends of the Miami Planning board's director -- last name "Dodge" (no known relation to the Dodge Bros.) -- way back in 1950.

map1aa-png.png

Where on Dodge Island are these cars parked. Wasnt a part of the game, but OP's/solvers often try to pinpoint the exact spot. This is my estimate using Google Earth, more toward the NW end of the island.

For my estimate, I used the angle from that position vs. the skyline, the curb blocks at the edge of the concrete, color of the concrete, and the position of the commericial yacht (called the "Seafair") berthed by the tan building (Intercontinental Hotel - Miami) in the background (other buildings are recoognizable too) vs. the VWs.

My estimated position ON Dodge Island could be wrong. Others can chime in IF they took the extra step to position the V-Dubs more precisely and see it differently.

FLW 9K.png

FLW 99E.png

FLW 9M.png

Dodge Island my be more recognizable from this pic if one's cruise was launched from here.. The red box is the approximate view of the skyline behind the VWs.

FLW 9L.png

Solvers in order of presenting their solutions. @300rag, @ayilar, and @SPF Required

1685017259102.png

1685017019151.png

1685017324344.png

Last edited:
Dodge Island! I clearly didn’t zoom out enough on the map for that to show up. I should only get 2/3 of a Dude award.

I kept seeing Royal Caribbean (their building is in the shape of their logo apparently), Cruise Terminal J, etc. and was wondering “how are any of those connected to Mopar?”

My connection to this place is said cruise terminal. My wife and I took a cruise from here way back when we were newlyweds. Those were the days!

I am curious, where did you come across that picture of the VWs? It clearly is a snapshot of the photoshoot, not the final ad. Were you on-site for the photoshoot?

Thanks again for posting this one.

You had extrra credits banked from solving the TWO yearslong, open games from early days of this thread. Plus the word "connection" is ambiguous in this context - my bad.

the OP skyline pic was from a local Miami dealer group website doing a feature on the VW ads being films all over the city .. i assume THEY were there "behind the scenes" for their coverage contribution.

Recognize Those Streets? - VW South Florida

I have never set foot on Dodge Ilsland (never taken a cruise) ..driven down the 1A1 to/from South Beach tho .. seeing those giant "vehicles" on the north side of Dodge Island is an impressive site .

source: Google Maps
1685020187734.png

Last edited:
You had extrra credits banked from solving the TWO yearslong, open games from early days of this thread. Plus the word "connection" is ambiguous in this context - my bad.

the OP skyline pic was from a local Miami website doing a feature on the VW ads being films all over the city .. i assume THEY were there "behind the scenes" for their report.

I have never set foot on Dodge Ilsland (never taken a cruise) ..driven down the 1A1 to/from South Beach tho .. seeing those giant "vehicles" on the north side of Dodge Island is an impressive site .

source: Google Maps
View attachment 598718
Having taken a few cruises out of Miami. the Seafair was one of the giveaways for me. @amazinblue82 your location is close to my guess. Given the activity in the container section of the port I assumed the pic was taken in the cruise pier terminal J end as close to the container area as possible.

vw photo location.jpg

A few pics from the top decks I have taken from the location shown on this map. The Seafair is in two of them (3 years between images).

vw photo location 2.jpg

20150321_123940.jpg

DSCN1195.JPG

DSCN5678.JPG

Last edited:
@300rag, yeah I like your terminal J lot position estimate better than mine.

To your point, mine looks to be INSIDE that container lot. I can't see those folks wanting that production crew/crap muckin' around in their yard. I guessed the red box but that's likely TOO FAR east on Dodge Island..

With Google Maps, Pegman can only go where the blue lines are, so I couldn't "fly" him into the J lot looking at Miami skyline. So I went to the east of the yellow box (that cut-in in the Dodge shortline, with that diagonal thing underwater).

I should be more the the west toward the J lot.

I like the orange circle area as, with Google Earth, it puts the Seafair (assuming its berth is about always the same place by the Intercontinental) "rightish" vs. the VW's. But, closer to the J terminal could do that too..somewhere in the green circles.

More westerly so that little "island" jutting out into the Bay isn't in the picture.

FLW 9J1.png

FLW 9J2.png

Last edited:
Where is the 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix parked?

tunnelram_1963_pontiac_grand_prix_af-vk-jpg.jpg

Three hints and questions to answer.

1. Parking spot is in France. What city?
2. Posing spot is on the street. What two main streets to get this angle? (its an intersection of several streets).
3. Posing spot has landmarks left and background. What are these landmarks (both buildings) by name?

This is obviously an illustration but Fitz & Kaufmann many times used REAL, exotic locales (a few in this city) as inspiration for their Pontiac ads -- you may want to allow a bit or artistic license vs. actual photos of the location(s).

Unless you've stood right there, you are probably gonna need digital geography and other investigative tools to solve this one. PM if you want a confirmation.

Answer posted Saturday (two days from now).

Last edited:
Easy, been there.

Alan

Yup, big artistic liberties if you are referring to the tower in the distance.

Alan
Yeah, artistic license with that thing on the far right. I love their work, so I can cut them some slack

But only one thing INSIDE the city limits that tall and that aint "it". In fact "it" would be more in the direction the GP is facing, at least couple miles away and you couldnt see it from street level.

I lived there 4 years, been to both buildings, same night in fact. Had to get dressed up to get into one of them though.

Last edited:

City is Paris France, GP is posed at the "intersection" of Rue Auber and Place de l'Opera, in front of the Paris Opera (built in 1875) and beside the Cafe de la Paix (built in 1862).

tunnelram_1963_pontiac_grand_prix_af-vk-jpg-jpg.jpg

Europeans and visitors to EU/UK cities, seeing things 200, 500, 800, 1,000 or more years old is common place. Many buildings in everyday use pre-date the formation of the United States obviously.

Anyway, I estimate (red boxes) the apparent position of the Grand Prix. The Cafe de la Paix (ya gotta try the snails - "yuk" is what I thought too until I tried them on a dare) is on the left (architectural cues seem to match up) and the southern end of the Opera in the background.

FLW 9M.png
FLW 9K.png
Sciene cewter.png

FLW 9L.png

A Paris "orientation" map below shows blackbox upper right (where Concorde crashed is just outside De Gaulle airport), the purple box is the Opera House, the red box is Eiffel Tower (couple miles to the SW of the Opera) and then the green box is "La Defense" where all the skyscrapers are allowed.
FLW 99E.png

The Eiffel Tower remains the tallest structure in Paris. There are NO skyscrapers in Paris. Pic above is looking toward the NW with La Defense in the distance

The Trocadéro is in foreground, over the Seine (not visible), past the Tower. Green space past that is Bois Boulogne (public park, gift to Paris from Napoleaon in 1852).

La Défense to De Gaulle airport is about 20 miles. The "Ring Road" (Boulevard Périphérique) encircles Paris proper (where most of the "arrondisments" - adminstrative districts - are located). And the Seine River arcs through the ring road.

Sport fury 8.jpg

1685204430932.png

Last edited:
ya gotta try the snails - "yuk" is what I thought too until I tried them on a dare) is on the left (architectural cues seem to match up) and the southern end of the Opera in the background.
Yep. Enough garlic and butter will do make even rubber taste good!

Yep. Enough garlic and butter will do make even rubber taste good!
1685199014772.png

m'mm, u'm good. l'avec eau gaz (Perrier)

salty, rubber mushrooms to be exact. the garlic, butter, and some green "herb" thing (dunno my French cuisine any more) takes "sliminess" off.

Last edited:
New game.

Renault Zoe EV ad campaign photo.

FLW 99C.png

1. What city (it is not Paris, but it is in the EU, about 200 miles NE of there)?
2. Approximately where (street name, and location on that street) in this city?
3. What item is photo-shopped (meaning if you find this exact location, this item may not look the same)?

This one might be difficult (unless you've stood right there) and you probably will need digital geography/visual enhancement and other investigative tools to solve this one.

PM if you want a confirmation of you answers.

Answer posted Monday (two days from now).

Last edited:
#438. No one reported solving this one.

The 1. city is Brussels, Belgium, 2. location is Av. de la Toison d'OR, and 3. the Renault ad is on a street sign, where the ad itself may be "photoshopped".

source: Programmatic out of home – the future of outdoor advertising?

I have been here but 15 years ago. Barely recall it, except for where we parked to eat. Common to see French and Dutch signs together in Belgium - that was my first clue it was NOT Paris.

Anywy, we ate at the "Toison d'OR (French)", or the "Gulden Vlies (Dutch)", a steak place. These languages translate the place as the "Golden Fleece."

After somebody (maybe the server person did it) translated it for me, I remember that factoid from Jason and the Argonauts stories in my youth. Hence I recall the location after all these years. You CANNOT see the actual place from these photos .. its a little further up the street on the right.

I do NOT recall IF the eatery was part of the "Brussels Grill" chain as it seems to be now.. I also do NOT recall outdoor seating (that could be a pandemic thing). I did have something like rare steak with fries dish, with crème brûlée (I got that stuff everywhere I went in western Europe) for dessert.

1685362140364.png

1685362183809.png

The ad photo below and the Google Map photos below that with corresponding features. The angles are differnent because the photgrapher is on the sidewalk vs. the Google car driving on the steet.

Green Box has parking signs for Golden Fleece. To me, there is nothing else recognizable. The only clue, to get you to this spot IF you are not from Brussels, would be to read this PARKING street sign for Toison d'OR or Gulden Vlies.

Sport fury 8.png

The purple box is the ad sign.. I think its like a small electronic billboard where the ads change. I believe Renault "shopped" the EV ad (there are other pics with SAME screen but DIFFERENT ads) rather than trying to time changes in the electronic billboard for other languages/tag lines but same pic.

1685387442310.png

The red circle is the base of the the street lamp visible through the sign. The arrows are landmarks in both photos. The green circle is, depending on the season, the building is recognizable more easily without the leafy trees.

Google
FLW 9M.png
1685362642780.png

Last edited:
Last one from me for a while

Where is this 1952 Chrysler Ghia d’Elegance parked?

FLW 9L.jpg

1. What northeastern US city and state is the Ghia parked?
2. Approximately where (a specific location and approxiimately where in that location) is it parked?
3. What was (are the time it opened) the signficance of the "Modern Marvel" in the background?

PM if you want a confirmation of your answers.

Answer posted Friday (three days from now).

Back