Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

NEW GAME - I just stumbled across this in C Body Bob's vintage ads thread this morning.

So, what location does this illustration depict? City, State, location in that city.

Hints?

Only one needed: In this thread, we have been here three times. So you dont even need to leave this thread, which aint that long, to find it. :)

00-4.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, we're winding down. Same guys getting all the answers. It was fun, so I end where we began. :)

In this thread, our first puzzle in post #1, then posts #31, #81-#85, and #88-#90.

00-4.jpg
00-1-1.jpg
00-2.jpg
00-2-2.jpg

By the Pulitzer Fountain, 59th at Fifth Avenue in New York, New York, is where the '74 Monaco is depicted. A repeat Chrysler hangout when in NYC -- rubbin' GM's nose in it since its right in front of the GM NY HQ.

By then, Fifth Avenue was one-way SOUTH (the direction the illustration is looking). The Monaco is going NORTH on Fifth turning onto 59th .. but hey, they're cops. They turn where they want! Not the NYPD colors .. but that's Ok -- plus NYPD had Furys in this era. :)

00-1.jpg
00-3.jpg

Bergsdorf-Goodman in background right and above the tree - the distinctive facade including the ground floor display windows visible. The hedges are around Pulitzer Fountain. That old stop light on the corner is in the '62 New Yorker ad. 300rags vaca photos from the Plaza Hotel of the area. ON and on.

Thanks folks. I am officially a retired gamer now. :)

upon reflection, and cuz I hate givin' up, I am gonna follow this bridge thing.

you're right.. there is a "curvature" of a railing of some sort, and on the street - I put arrows on the uphill and downhill sides.

but the sky looks "funny" between the railing posts down to the street -- like its "fake" somehow?

I found the original ad .. it was a magazine piece introducing the 1986 'Vette convertible after several years absent from the lineup.

View attachment 95016
View attachment 95017

i also thought the people were drawings .. but they are not. that starts to rule out a static art piece drawn on a building which was the trail i followed.

I wonder though if that guy is sitting on a real bridge railing, well he is ONE daring dude to be doing that :)

that leads me back to a "set" of some sort .. i.e., a staged shot that we'll never find again.

66-72-22-jpg.95017

Sorry .. this was still buggin' me for months. Only UNsolved shot. I think this is the answer to #post 104 and #110.

The background behind the Vette is "shopped" and then color enhanced ,etc to make the image. I believe the car was parked in front of the (former) Carlyle Hotel in Miami Beach.

I can thank "Tony - say hello to my little friend - Montana".

Look at these screenshots from Scarface in 1983. The top photo is where director starts to pan RIGHT. Second shot shows the old Chevy where Tony and his boys are headed to the "chain saw" scene. Carlyle is on the left. Third shot is closeup of second photo .. which is right before car turns RIGHT onto Ocean Drive from 13th Street.

See the railing? I mean how many can there be with thoses shapes/colors? I have seen Scarface many times (a "guilty pleasure") but NOT recently .. until last night.

000.jpg
000-1.jpg
000-4.jpg

Here is the Carlyle 20 years later..different colors but same railing. And it appears to be a little "uphill" when you move from RIGHT to LEFT .. just like the Vette ad.

000-2.jpg
000-3.jpg

And here it is today courtesy of Mr. Peg-man and a stock photo ... i dont think its a hotel anymore but still a cool old art deco building.

000-5.jpg
000-5.jpg

Now, I think my work on this thread is finally complete -- NOW i can retire from it officially :)

Last edited:
I will unretire for one last game. Found this looking for stuff for the "Special" Edition thread.

I found this photo, know where it is approximately, invested four hours over the weekend to pin it down EXACTLY but could not.

So I do NOT know exactly where this car is parked. I will be looking to pin it down too

This is an "EXPERT" level game. You need a street map software to win .. you, Mr. PegMan (or equivalent), and some time/patience.

I think its unsolvable. Recall we NEVER found exactly where this car was:

Where was this '70 brochure photo shot?

So, here we go.

00-1-0.jpg
00-1-1.jpg

Where is this 1958 Crown Imp Limo parked?

1. City? Prize: 1 Tough Baby
2. Street? Prize: 1 More Tough Baby
3. EXACT Cross Street? Prize: A Personalized "The Dude" Poster from Don Knotts suitable for framing (truck not included).

00-1-2-1.jpg

One Hint - You do not have to leave this thread to get 1 and 2 above. Yeah, thread is big but that's really the only challenge.

You get 3 above .. AND CAN PROVE IT with PHOTOS ... Well the audience gets to "vote" too. We get 20 "agrees" to your solution, the people will have spoken and you will be the Dude. :)

Last edited:
I will start. It appears to by NYC, with the Hemsley building in the background (from post #91).
Cal

welcome back to the thread Cal .. lets see if ya still got the nav skills. This one has me beat so far :)

66-78-12.jpg

Last edited:
Park Avenue at 53rd, looks like 4 buildings are still there today, the cantilevered on at the right, the one just behind that with the arch, the pyramid top one in the center and the stair stepped top one on the left.

Alan

Park Avenue at 53rd, looks like 4 buildings are still there today, the cantilevered on at the right, the one just behind that with the arch, the pyramid top one in the center and the stair stepped top one on the left.

Alan

Thats worth a tough baby for sure for Park Avenue.

66-78-10.jpg

Getting ready to etch your name on the poster .. did you keep the present-day "photos" from your "digital drive" up and down Park Avenue so we can see these buildings you're referring to and take vote from the crowd on your solution? :)

Looks like it to me. Audience vote on post #169? He have it? I said 20 votes but that's arbitrary .. seems like only a few of us even try this thing anymore

Aside: I was on the south side (looking North) of Pan Am Bldg looking for it mostly. I "drove" SOUTH (looking SOUTH) on Park Avenue and right past it ..twice.

I was gonna give it shot this eve .. drive against Northbound Park Avenue traffic and keep looking right .. and then give up.

What caught your eye?

The pyramid top building blocks the street and is prominent, should be there today. The lower east side has been popular so that was easy to find.
Figured with 4 other buildings at least one should be there still. The south side is more residential so I looked north, I fly low like Spider-man in Google Earth 3-D buildings turned on. The cantilevered one looked new so I figured that would be my best bet. Panned back, saw the arches dropped down to street level and saw the cantilevered, not so obvious from 20 stories up.

The building on the left edge doesn't appear to be there anymore.

Alan

I would vote for Alan's solution. Looks like the set-up for the original photo shot was right about where that construction equipment is in Alan's post #169.
Good sleuthing Alan!
Cal

Not a Mopar obviously. And no other hints beyond the photo so another "Expert" level game here where some serious sleuthin' is needed.

Some of you may recognize the city and state immediately. That's worth one tough baby if you get that right.

BUT, like #164 though, an expert test is WHERE exactly is this Hyundai IN that city?

Post that up, with a PROOF PIC like MrMoparCHP did in #169 to duplicate the scene, and another "Dude" gets awarded :)

00-1-1.jpg

I know, I know, I know!!!

Alan

After that coup on the "58 Imp, I dont doubt it. Guess you'll let this run for a while to get some other folks in?

if so, I still have got enough Dude posters to "engrave" for you and whoever else solves this one. :)

thx

Back