Which Battery to get at Costco

I thought a little and said to myself "Self, what would take a group 27?" and typed in 1977 Chrysler New Yorker with 440 and optional rather than standard.

Came up with this:

Costco | Interstate Batteries
Are there Costco stores in NY state? I have not seen one and on the Costco site location search I get Ontario, PA, MI, Ohio. I used 14303 postal code.

Time for another battery. Costco’s book only goes back to the 90’s.

What would be a good one to get from there?

1968 Chrysler 383 automatic just regular street driving.

(If anyone asks why thee, I’m a business member (so I get money back), good return policy and no complaints on previous battery purchases.)

FWIW, I was in the local Costco yesterday and looked at the rack of batteries.

There were plenty of group 24, but I saw no group 27 batteries. That doesn't mean they didn't have them "in the back", just none out on the display rack.

Time for another battery. Costco’s book only goes back to the 90’s.

What would be a good one to get from there?

1968 Chrysler 383 automatic just regular street driving.

(If anyone asks why there, I’m a business member (so I get money back), good return policy and no complaints on previous battery purchases.)
DO THEY SELL DECA GROUP 27 BATTERIES?

DO THEY SELL DECA GROUP 27 BATTERIES?
You might look on the Deca website. Interstate has black batteries in that size and others. Prices for their 18 month warranty batteries are not too bad. Check their website for a retail store near you.

CBODY67

Wal Mart handy? Claros/ Johnson Controls makes many of their batteries. I bought one of their Ever Starts, peeled the stickers and caps off and put a Wescar sticker and cap kit on it. It looks OEM.

20200614_164449.jpg

20200614_163941.jpg

Last edited:
Wal Mart handy? Claros/ Johnson Controls makes many of their batteries. I bought one of their Ever Starts, peeled the stickers and caps off and put a Wescar sticker and cap kit on it. It looks OEM.

View attachment 622818

View attachment 622819

Same, but from Fleet Farm. I used the yellow caps group 24 mid range battery. Red were reserved for the group 27. In ‘68 in NA (Canadian cars seemed to size up) 318’s got the green group 24. 383’s got the yellow middle group 24. And 440’s got the red group 27. The other caveat if I recall was that a/c cars also may have upsized.

Batteries are expensive when you're running a dozen old cars.
So, I just give Walmart their 60 bucks for the one-year EverStart battery made by Johnson Controls and call it good.
They go about 3 years in Arkansas on a high compression big block.

I don't know exactly how old this reproduction battery is - it dates to at least 1997 and possibly to 1992. So 26+ years old.

174.jpg

Up until a year ago, I kept it on the floor of the cellar in my basement. It didn't leak, but it was a bit low on electrolyte. I still had the original bag containing the sulphuric acid that was used to fill it, and it had some acid still in the bag so I used it up. When I put it on a charger, it took a charge, enough to start my '67 Monaco (with 318) and drive around a little. It needed to be on a trickle charge to keep it up, but it was surprisingly useable. After I put the car into storage last fall I brought the battery back home, but it started to leak because the upper and lower tray portion of the casing seems to have separated. Maybe a cup of electrolyte has leaked by now.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at this point. Either try to seal it and rejuvinate it, or take it apart and use the shell to house a smaller high-performance AGM battery so I maintain an original look. The number and codes embossed on this battery are:

24-MB-59
CAT. No. 2444562
A-24B
MOPAR ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT
DELUXE
Performance Engineered

From what I can find on-line, the PN is identified as an S24MG battery, 1966-74. Mancini racing sells just a flat-top black plastic cover plate that duplicates the mopar labeling for $70 - but it comes with red caps. It's identified as group-24 size. You can buy reproduction sets of caps that you "glue" onto a suitable new battery to simulate an original look. $25 - $35. Ridiculous.

185.jpg

I don't know if anyone makes a complete, authentic, functioning, reproduction battery as this battery was. Perhaps this battery was the last of it's kind?

Dimensions - for the record:

10.25 inches wide
6.75 inches deep
8.00 inches high (to the back top)
8.75 inches high (to the top of the green caps)
weight: 43 lbs

To me, this could be a group-34 size battery if you measure the battery without the height of the terminals.

View attachment 622818

View attachment 622819
these r good if u r doing a conouce judge show & u will pay dearly for thm i get a deka (american auto parts store group 27 1000cca battery

Back