Who has auto pilot, do you like it?

Other than the underhood real estate the control unit occupies, which might affect spark plug changes "over the fender", it looks to me that you'd need to hole-saw the instrument panel metal to put the switch in a '65-'66 Chrysler. Perhaps just need the different instrument panel trim on the '67-'68 Chryslers?

When the Natl Speed Limit went to 55 in the earlier '70s, I did some investigating and it appears that the '74-style unit will work just fine. Just need to double the size of the slot for the turn signal level in that steering column housing. Adding the extra clearance for the new turn signal level on the forward side of the slot. Other than that, the basic dimensions for where things go appears to be almost exactly the same, as to putting it all together. Which given the two completely different body series, appeared to be an interesting situation!

Considering that back then, I'd almost never seen a factory cruise, outside of possibly on an Imperial, plus the "hole saw issue", adding a '74+ system seemed so easy and desirable. I went down to Fenner Tubbs in Lubbock and their tech confirmed how easy it would be on the '66, even marking the turn signal lever slot's needed enlargement for me. Never got it done, though. The neat thing I liked was that it could be done with a '74 Chrysler Accessories add-on kit.

The operational characteristics of the earlier system has roots in the early '60s, or prior. More involved to set and make work, but once you got it set, you could use the dial to change the speed, as I recall. I do remember the somewhat involved calibration method in the '66 FSM and how to alter the numbers on the dial to better coordinate with the speedometer reading, in the desired speed range.

Possibly "crude", but technically advanced for the time.

Glad we've got a member who can service them for us!

CBODY67

Ahhh - while the control head will interchange, not much else would for @Zymurgy unfortunately. Bracketry, linkage rods, all slightly different. Wiring harness might be the same, control cable might be the same, but is likely different.

I was hoping you'd say 65 or 66 Fury - I'd buy the dash dial from you!
The car is so rusty I can’t get the doors open. And with all the rain it’s been sitting in water all year. All have able to pull was the unit & some linkage from under the hood.

Ahhh - while the control head will interchange, not much else would for @Zymurgy unfortunately. Bracketry, linkage rods, all slightly different. Wiring harness might be the same, control cable might be the same, but is likely different.

I was hoping you'd say 65 or 66 Fury - I'd buy the dash dial from you!
I've got some pieces of one, I think. Let me look again.

Just to clarify are there any parts interchangeable from a 65-66 Imperial, besides the control unit, or are these Chrysler specific. @detmatt is helping me out with parts, but I presume most of his are going to be from an Imperial.

Just to clarify are there any parts interchangeable from a 65-66 Imperial, besides the control unit, or are these Chrysler specific. @detmatt is helping me out with parts, but I presume most of his are going to be from an Imperial.
I’ve already started a private conversation with Ross which now that I think about it I should have added you in on it too Mike, oops. I was exhausted when I started, it took me a half an hour to type a paragraph to him. We’re going to switch over to email and I will CC you in on it.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt I appreciate your initiative, sounds like you're at least a couple steps ahead of me already.

Don't kill yourself looking for these things, on top of everything else you are doing. No rush.

Since I have never ridden in a car with auto pilot, thought I would find some information on the option. I thought this description from 1958 was funny.

What it does. This is not easy to explain to women and the mechanically innocent. Not that the gadget is particularly complex; it's just that it offers two different though related services. In function No. 1 it is a speed minder--a mechanical conscience that urges you, by increased accelerator resistance, to stay under the speed it is set at. It doesn't actually prevent you from speeding, though; you can (while passing, say) readily tromp past the increased resistance.

In function No. 2 the device is a speed maintainer. Its motor depresses or releases the accelerator as needed to hold the set speed up hill or down, whether your foot is on the gas or not. You bring the car up to the speed the knob is set for and then touch the latching button. The car then eerily continues at that speed until it runs out of gas--or until you touch the brake pedal. This instantly unlatches it, returning you to conventional operation. In effect it is a robot that constantly compares an ideal speed (the knob setting) with the car's actual speed. Whenever the two begin to differ, the throttle is corrected and the speeds recompared.

For anyone interested in the whole Popular Science article, on the Imperial site. It is a fun read.
1958 Imperial Auto Pilot Article

Last edited:
I have an autopilot on my '63 Imperial. They had it before Tesla! You can sit back, it will drive the car for you. :rofl:Take a nap, read a book, day dream on the freeway. Great option!

Back