Who Would Buy This

That's a lot nicer than this piece of poop.
wm1971_dodge_challenger_station_wagon.jpg

ChalleVista.

I will say one thing, he did integrate the lines nicely.

Still ugly as hell.

I would need a personal inspection in good light before I passed any judgement on workmanship. I would also like to know what the condition of the car was before he permanantly altered it... like maybe a tree fell on it and all he could find was an olds/buick to donate a roof.

I admit at first glance I thought it was an AMC product, its a little too gremlin for me back there... but, I like E body lines... now its *** is too big for my taste.

I would need a personal inspection in good light before I passed any judgement on workmanship. I would also like to know what the condition of the car was before he permanantly altered it... like maybe a tree fell on it and all he could find was an olds/buick to donate a roof.

I admit at first glance I thought it was an AMC product, its a little too gremlin for me back there... but, I like E body lines... now its *** is too big for my taste.

This has actually been around since the late 70's early 80's, I believe, so the condition of the car was probably pretty good. Much better viability than the Magnum, but still, something only a mother could love....

As far as all models, E's are the least of what I keep abreast of.
I know they all came with Hemis and every one was 1 of 1.
That's all I know...

Hey hey!! No Gremlin bashing!!!!
IMG_4342.JPG

Some of us have one sitting around.

I have always liked that custom '71 Challenger too. Seen it before.

I kinda like that custom Challenger too.

I liked the Magnums and I guess I like this too. I'm wondering though, why did they stop making them? If it was lack of demand, then why would they believe this car would be any more in demand? Isn't it just basically a "reskinned" version of the Magnum? Same platform?

I kinda like that custom Challenger too.

I liked the Magnums and I guess I like this too. I'm wondering though, why did they stop making them? If it was lack of demand, then why would they believe this car would be any more in demand? Isn't it just basically a "reskinned" version of the Magnum? Same platform?
The decision to stop making the Magnum was an interesting one, indeed. The argument was, "For every one Magnum we manufacture, we are making three Chargers. Since they are made at the same plant, we are cancelling the Magnum to be able to make more Chargers." OK, while I understand the logic, it still makes no sense because they were selling both cars. ????

The decision to stop making the Magnum was an interesting one, indeed. The argument was, "For every one Magnum we manufacture, we are making three Chargers. Since they are made at the same plant, we are cancelling the Magnum to be able to make more Chargers." OK, while I understand the logic, it still makes no sense because they were selling both cars. ????

Volume has everything to do with profitability in that business, I'm sure it was a bean counter decision.

Manufacturing Economics.
Why make two of something when you can make at least as much money making just one. Probably make more because of less inventory overhead.
They didn't have any excess capacity. At that time they were maxed out.

Manufacturing Economics.
Why make two of something when you can make at least as much money making just one. Probably make more because of less inventory overhead.
They didn't have any excess capacity. At that time they were maxed out.

Agreed... But my simple thought process was more like If you built 100 a day and 97 covered your nut... anything that got 101 or 102 built was pure gravy...

Sales rate versus Cost of Production equation. The Magnum was a slow seller so in the eyes of Ma Mopar that particular body model sales did not support the business case to produce it. Especially when 300's and Chargers were being picked up in large quantities by the rental fleets. Same is true with the Dakota truck. It cost more to build a Dakota per unit then a full size Ram due to their small volume so the Dakota was shelved. At the end of their life cycle the Dakota actually was more expensive on the lot than the Ram 1500 equivalent. That and the costs needed to upgrade the model for EPA and safety helped kill it. Bean counters make the production plan recommendations to Managers mostly concerned with return on investment rather than good old fashion love of the automobile which is what a shareholder wants not what an enthusiast wants.

Back