Whoops!!! TRX Rolled

Bet the conveyor contractor got a nasty call. That looks like the “box drop” elevator in orange. Boxes are painted in the old paint shop then sent over to this elevator, lowered and fastened to frame all by automation. Apparently it didn’t want to let go of this box!

When I was working for GE, I was working onsite in the Ford truck plant in Virginia. We went to another building and cut through where there was a conveyor that brought the cabs over from another building down to the line.

This was a connection between the buildings. Kind of a tunnel, but it was about 3 or 4 stories high with walkway and conveyor connections. No access except from the buildings it connected.

This had to be 1997 as they had just switched to the newer (at the time) style F-100 truck.

The guy that was with me told me to look down... and there was a cab from an earlier series sitting there on the floor under the conveyor. It was in a spot that you couldn't really get to and it was out of the way. It had probably fallen 3 stories to the floor at ground level. He said it had been there at least 10 years, and you could see that it was 2 generations of F-100 earlier. He told me that they had been told to get it cut up and out of there when they had the time, but the time never seemed to come.

Norfolk Assembly? Always stayed in Virginia Beach when I visited jobsites at that plant.

Norfolk Assembly? Always stayed in Virginia Beach when I visited jobsites at that plant.
Yep.

I stayed in Hampton Roads. Always liked to hit Harpoon Larry's for dinner at least once (before they moved to Virginia Beach).

It was always an adventure. Once, I drove in with my Mercury wagon company car and the guard wouldn't let me in the plant because I wasn't driving a Ford product. That one had everyone's eye's rolling. One plant manager got pissed off about where I was parked and threatened to lift the wagon with a fork lift to move it. I told him the name of the guy that told me to park there and it turned out it was his counterpart from the proceeding shift. He was still pissed at me though... No matter what, every single time, some manager got pissed at me and yelled at me about something stupid. It was like a game to them... Had nothing to do with what I was doing or the job... Just showing they could try to push me around. I had enough names on a list to drop that made them shut up though... LOL.

I'll tell you though... You need to stand in the pit where they did the final front end alignment and have some guy drive the truck in over your head so they can hook their gages on it. That was wild... Those guys did it fast and quite honestly, did it right. Gages on, adjust, gages off, hit a button for a light above and the guy to drive off. Probably 10-20 seconds. Not drive on or off slowly either.

My days were spent in the paint shop and job trailer. I have work clothes that still smell of solvent.

Back