Why I so "dislike" websites like Cars-in-Barns, etc.

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This crappy review and accompanying comments prompted my reply, cut/pasted below. A sewing-circle of know-nothing, bitter hags.

Frank Sinatra Edition: 1981 Chrysler Imperial

------------

Just like you don't need a license to have kids, I suppose you don't need much knowledge to write or comment here. Let me start by addressing facts, than moving to the subjective.

1) Leather was offered, velour was a choice. It was probably popular in the SW, and a nice consideration no longer offered. I hear people complain about being forced into leather to this day.

2) As was mentioned, Sinatra did own one. He called (his friend) Iacocca and offered to "help" Chrysler's situation at the time by doing some ads. A touch of class you won't see among what passes for celebrity today. Sinatra owned several Chrysler products of the era, including a FWD LeBaron station wagon that also appeared on eBay years back.

3) The problematic fuel injection was not the result "quality control" issues. In fact, the car had the highest initial quality-by-owner rating Popular Mechanics had ever scored (the closest thing to JD Power of the era). However the introduction of alcohol began in the era and started destroying components. That's also documented by PM. Coupled with some legit design issues and techs who weren't up to EFI speed and simply threw parts, Chrysler started offering carb retrofits that kept all the gadgets functional. There are unconverted examples still running, but that obviously requires some mechanical ability and resourcefulness.

4) Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but intelligent people can offer them in the context of the era. Which is to say a market full of people on bailing large, heavy cars. An oil-crisis/shock and a government mandating fuel economy standards (which failed to apply to German imports because their sales were deemed insignificant). This gave you V4/6/8 and diesel Cadillacs and not-to-pretty Mark VI's breathing through variable-venturi carbs. Judged against those, a smaller size and EFI doesn't seem like such an outrageous move does it?

Feel free to resume you critiques, but do so with the knowledge that to a more educated and thoughtful mind, you sound like a cliqué of bitter high-school shrews trashing the "new girl" without ever meeting her.

Well, that's certainly telling them what's what, seemed a very lightweight lazy article when a little research would have provided the facts.

Lightweight crap like this is all too common today, what happened to quality journalism???

Well, that's certainly telling them what's what, seemed a very lightweight lazy article when a little research would have provided the facts.

Lightweight crap like this is all too common today, what happened to quality journalism???

I don't think good journalism was ever very common. There's just more of it today.

I always wanted a FS. When my friends had Lambo posters up in their rooms I had a cut out of one of these from a National Geographic magazine add up in mine.
The one in the add is exactly how I would have ordered one. I always prefer cloth over leather.

I don't think good journalism was ever very common. There's just more of it today.
When reporters and writers used to have facts and sources to back up their stories there was some very good journalism. Today, anyone with a computer can post anything. From what I remember reading about those Imperials several years ago is that they were the closest thing you could get to a hand built car.

Obviously, as newer (i.e., younger) people who weren't around when the cars came out NOR knew anything/little about the economic or social environments of those particular eras (and how that affected car sales and such, even the COLORS offered), you end up with people looking at things through "Y2K era glasses". Unless they do some additional research, that's their ONLY reference point, one that they know. I've seen that in other online forums, too. After being in one GM-related forum, I came to see that most of the regular posters were still in high school, or their first years of college. Yet they seemed to speak with knowledge and authority, on first glance. Then, one of them mentioned that he'd seen one of the older Oldsmobiles (under discussion in the late 1990s) as his Dad drove him to school, one morning! In looking at the way the comments are phrased and what is said, you can see their "younger" orientation, typically.

"Younger" isn't always bad, just that at their particular ages, their horizons are still being widened, just that they don't really know it at that time. Naturally and understandably, they only know about things they've seen or experienced, not particularly what those that came before them (several generations, at least!) had for life experiences and such, nor the other societal issues which affected vehicles of those earlier times.

In the '70s and '80s, it seemed that whenever Chrysler tried to innovate engineering and design, it bit them, as GM and Ford did less-well-executed similar things that were simpler, worked decently well, and no real "black eyes" for it. Starting with the Electronic Ignition, we started to hear (From the private mechanic shops) "You'll have to take it back to the dealer to fix that!" Two model years later, aftermarket parts were everywhere, by observation and THEY were working on them in their shops.

The Imperial's EFI was unique, in all respects. It was a simple "bolt-on" unit that had much of its sensors and stuff in the air cleaner "fuel plate". Take that band clamp off to remove the top of the air cleaner, with the engine running, and the air flow through the snorkel stopped, which is where the MAF was located, and when the MAF sensor saw no air flow, it figured the engine had stopped, so it then turned off the fuel. FEW people understood this OR knew why it happened. Just puzzled looks when it happened, as they were showing off their new car to friends. Just getting the top of the air cleaner on crooked, even with the band clamp, would cause drivability issues. Ford had a more mundane system, as did GM. Realize, too, that the EFI on the 500cid Cadillac Eldorado was not well understood, either, at that time. When repairs were needed, they usually got quietly retrofitted with carbs. Underhood fires?

The Ford VV Carb was not well understood, either. Worked on the same principle as some European VV carbs of earlier times. Our tune-up guy overhauled one (with a Ford kit) and it worked! I considered it to be a good adaptation at the time, but it was "too radical" for the time and compared to the prior Ford 2300 2bbl carbs. IF the public/repair industry doesn't understand the reason for the change, they'll arbitrarily bad-mouth it, by observation. At least at first, until they realize that their comments will not change anything, so then they just "deal with it" and go on. Being an engaged "early adopter" has its advantages, by observation.

Unfortunately, Chrysler "got burned" on seeking to continue their engineering leadership orientation, too many times. Perhaps it was component durability? Perhaps it was an engineering orientation mechanics didn't understand or understand WHY it needed to be that way, as designed. OR why it was different than what Ford or GM did! At a time when most repair shops were kept alive with GM vehicle business!

A funny thing is that the Chrysler carb retrofit kits for the Imperials also provided new name plates to replace the "Fuel Injection" name plates, to erase all things related to that OEM system. Some owners, as I understand it, tried to litigate Chrysler for "loss of value" once their cars had been converted under warranty.

When new, the car was very nice and luxurious. It was reputed to have gotten all of the best parts Chrysler could provide. Only those at the top end of the testing specs went into Imperials, "Motor Trend" (I believe) stated. Sheet metal was a little thicker, too, which accounted for its 4000lb curb weight, compared to other "Aspen-Volare" platform cars. NOR was it priced "for everybody" either.

If you back-date the appearance of the bustle-back Imperials and the Cadillac Sevilles, the Chrysler design would have been "on the boards" and approved sooner than Cadillac's, BUT Cadillac got the credit and Imperial got a "me too" perception.

IF I was interested in one of those cars, I'd put a modern EFI system in it and go on down the road in "style and comfort". Add some police suspension sway bars and better Michelins into the mix, too.

Several thoughts, sorry for the length,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Here ya go, this one's been sitting in my bookmark folder for awhile.

00e0e_3wRFRoaXaal_1200x900.jpg

Unique 1983 1982 1981 TOP Chrysler IMPERIAL Luxury MOPAR 318 eco

That was pretty good Carmine. Unfortunately the more you learn about any subject the more you realize that most people have no idea what the heck they are talking about. This is nothing new. Having said that sometimes the best way to learn new things is when somebody else writes an article such as this and somebody else in this case you chimes in. And then others follow. That is the nice thing about the times we live in now, information is much more easily shared, so if you want to learn...you can. If you just want to believe anything that someone else writes...you can do that too.

Dave

Not really related but a number of years ago, long before I was in this group, I recall an eBay listing for a 74 Imperial 2 door, somewhere on the west coast. It claimed to have been owned by Frank Sinatra and was fully loaded, (not unusual), but it did show a tag on the radiator support for "special handling car", (the kind you'd see in police cars). Anyone recall that?

Not really related but a number of years ago, long before I was in this group, I recall an eBay listing for a 74 Imperial 2 door, somewhere on the west coast. It claimed to have been owned by Frank Sinatra and was fully loaded, (not unusual), but it did show a tag on the radiator support for "special handling car", (the kind you'd see in police cars). Anyone recall that?
Hmmm, wish I'd seen that. I'm only familiar with the Red 74 Coupe supposedly once owned by Broderick Crawford.

Hmmm, wish I'd seen that. I'm only familiar with the Red 74 Coupe supposedly once owned by Broderick Crawford.

You forgot your own "celebrity" formal thread?

Willy Mays 75 Imperial

PS: I was told of Mays' special pink Imperials long before the interwebs by guys who worked at Jefferson at the time. Supposedly he won some kind of home run contest back in the 50s and the prize was a new Chrysler every year.

Screw all these dumb commenters in the article. This is one of my dreams:

81 Imperial Low Miles Profile.jpg
81 Imperial Low Miles Side Profile.jpg
81 Imperial Low Miles Dash.jpg
81 Imperial Low Miles Seats.jpg

Some people even think Fox News represents good journalism. :rofl:

Hey, this site has been downright boring the last couple of weeks - time to kick it up a notch today and include some photos - something!

1) Leather was offered, velour was a choice. It was probably popular in the SW, and a nice consideration no longer offered. I hear people complain about being forced into leather to this day.

Reminds me of times when I've ended up on the receiving end of totally wrong advice from insistent know-it-alls who think I don't know what I'm talking about.

I had a '92 Oldsmobile 98 that "died" on me. It wouldn't start for anything. A coworker insisted that it was the distributor. From the way he refused to believe me when I told him that the car had a "distributor-less" computerized ignition system, you'd think I'd never looked under the hood.

2) As was mentioned, Sinatra did own one. He called (his friend) Iacocca and offered to "help" Chrysler's situation at the time by doing some ads.
I thought Sinatra's gesture was cool (likewise for the car). I wouldn't mind this barn find myself. I'm with you re: leather vs. cloth.
A touch of class you won't see among what passes for celebrity today....
What? No Toyota Prius Britney Spears Edition? Darn. :rolleyes:

Back