Will someone please catch me up to speed? [re: Washer Bottle 3431154]

I hope I find a few more used originals before they’re available.:lol:

The tooling will then go to blow mold shop

Ahh.. So it is a blow mold.

I've been seeing a lot of this type of stuff done with rotational molding, but could never figure if it was fast enough for automotive production. Most of the blow molding I've seen are pretty simple bottles (like laundry soap for example). This area has a lot of plastic manufacturing, although mostly injection molding.

Good to hear for you guys that need the parts. Not for the feint of heart and most people don't know what's involved. My neighbor own's a pattern and mold shop and we have had lengthy discussions about all that is involved in producing a simple part. I had questions about reproducing 66 Dart headlight bezels. $10,000 each for the press dies. (left and right at $10 g's each.) Then almost the same for the trim dies to finish them. $40,000 invested in just the dies and how many do you have to sell at $100 each just to pay for the tooling. You do the math. I talked to Dave Layson and he chuckled. He has gone down that road many times.

I don't think some of the guys above thought my $10,000 mold estimate was very close. Damn, it takes a lot of machine and man hours to produce a finished mold. Good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good. LOL

My last bottle mold was 13000. Plus I have to pay Chrysler licensing for every one I sell and they have to approve it. Guys don’t realize what all is involved in these projects

It's really true. No one has any idea what the costs are to bring a product like this to market.... and it's not getting any cheaper.

Considering the cost involved with the tooling, it boggles my mind as to what could have happened to the molds for the C body repops that were being produced 15 or so years ago. It's as if the people involved in that project were abducted by aliens and they took the tooling with them.

Unless they really aren't reproductions, and someone had found a huge stash of NOS washer bottles that were basically the final batch that Chrysler's supplier made before they stopped production. Though that wouldn't explain the switch to pop rivets on the bracket from the original standard solid rivets.

Jeff

National Moparts over in Canada still has a few of those '90s reproduction bottles in stock but they want $350 each! It was a no brainer at that point to just buy the NOS bottle I came across for a few rubles more lol.

QQE should sell quite a few at a sub $100 price point. I would like to know if they will be available at Carlisle this year? I'd be game for 2-4 of them myself.

I'm still surprised there's more than a couple dozen hurst's and 440 furys that would even care about a washer bottle.
I have a repo working setup in my charger that I've never got the button to use... It's only three to look correct and how many c body guys care about that?

I'm still surprised there's more than a couple dozen hurst's and 440 furys that would even care about a washer bottle.
I have a repo working setup in my charger that I've never got the button to use... It's only three to look correct and how many c body guys care about that?

A bunch of us fanatics do care - there are numerous posts about wanting this part throughout this forum.

If you don’t get caught in the rain every once in a while you’re not driving your car enough.

Don't get me wrong, at least I made $50 from broken junk based on y'all's obsession :D

Don't get me wrong, at least I made $50 from broken junk based on y'all's obsession :D

Then elaborate please. I read it as only one way.
Me personally, I don't use the washer bottle in my daily drivers because of the residual mess around the windshield it leaves. I never ever, ever would use it in the old car. I also would never install a broken one or leave a broken one in the engine bay, I'd rather have none. I do however want the car right, which is why I sprung for the lightly used one I did.
Truth is, thousands of these bottles are broken or missing, hundreds want a new one. Question is, whose gonna ante up for it or who's gonna keep using a clorox bottle?

Some of the serious car shows check for operation of everything!
Years ago I took my GTO to the first Packard Proving Ground show. I don’t usually enter a car for judging but they kinda pressed me to get it judged. I had to unsnap the boot cover and raise the top. Prove the ac worked, turn the radio on, all lights and turn signals, headlight doors, wipers and yes even the washer.

Often having working washers is required for vehicle safety...at least it is where I live. So having a washer bottle can be key to your classic, if you want to drive it.

On my 79 Cordoba I had to adapt a Formal washer bottle to it for the safety because the stock washer bottle/ battery thermo guard combo thingy was missing (they always are...or they are destroyed).

So kudos to the parts re-poppers for making ANYTHING C body!

Some car shows check for everything
The washer bottle is easily checked any time the hood is open (unlike say, a valve body). From its condition, an observer may draw conclusions about the rest of the car and its level or quality of restoration.
the economics
There would be a lot of unavailable reproduction parts if producers focused solely on the economics. The only parts available would be for high-volume items (for Chevies, Mustangs & F150s), or for exotics that they can charge a premium for (Corvettes, Shelbies & Superbirds).
battery thermo guard
From my observations, there are some mechanics that hate battery hold-downs, and will dispose of them the first chance they get. The covers also get cut up for different size batteries, replacement terminals, and different cell caps.

My last bottle mold was 13000. Plus I have to pay Chrysler licensing for every one I sell and they have to approve it. Guys don’t realize what all is involved in these projects
Can we help keep this project moving by submitting pre-order deposits?

Back