Wiper switch 1968 New yorker

ChrisNewyorker

Reaction score
Hi, do you need to remove the dash for changing the wiper switch? I suspect that my switch is bad because when i start the wipers, it take about 5 - 10 seconds before they start. And when i turn them of the wipers go down to off position and up a bit.. also i have a weird tick from the switch, it's a slow interwall every 5 to 10 seconds.. it's like the switch is stuck in slow interwall

All help is welcome
//ChrisNewYorker

That depends on what you are calling the dash. You need to remove the upper part with the warning lights in it and instrument cluster bezel.
1716481235380.png

1716481198281.png

Do i need tp remove the top of the "dash" that is above the warning lightscluster? I have tried to remove that but i cant seem to find where screws or clips is

There is no "timer" in the switch. It's a direct situation. If the contacts were dirty, there probably would not be a "response time", just a "no go" situation.

I suspect you'll be needing to get into the motor instead. If it is "reaction time" you are concerned with, that's where the "response" would be.

The issue with their "park" function is also in the motor, too. Should be a switch that instructs the motor to "park" in the normal position, in the motor. Should also be an adjustment for that function, too.

Might need to inspect the wiring terminals in the bulkhead connector, too. They can get grungy with time too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

There is no "timer" in the switch. It's a direct situation. If the contacts were dirty, there probably would not be a "response time", just a "no go" situation.

I suspect you'll be needing to get into the motor instead. If it is "reaction time" you are concerned with, that's where the "response" would be.

The issue with their "park" function is also in the motor, too. Should be a switch that instructs the motor to "park" in the normal position, in the motor. Should also be an adjustment for that function, too.

Might need to inspect the wiring terminals in the bulkhead connector, too. They can get grungy with time too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
So you mean that the switch is ok? I m still a bit concerned about the tick in the switch, and where is the bulkhead connector? My english is a little off so i apologize for any misunderstandings

The "bulkhead connector" is on the backside of the fuse block, engine side. That's the connection between things "under hood" and "in the passenger compartment".

If you have to work the switch a certain way to get it to work, that can be a wear issue with the internal contacts of the switch.

Head over to www.mymopar.com and download a Chrysler factory service manual. FREE download, takes a short time, generally.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

So you mean that the switch is ok? I m still a bit concerned about the tick in the switch, and where is the bulkhead connector? My english is a little off so i apologize for any misunderstandings
If it turns out you do need a switch I believe I have some and maybe even NOS.
@Devinism will have valuable input on this subject I think.

The "bulkhead connector" is on the backside of the fuse block, engine side. That's the connection between things "under hood" and "in the passenger compartment".

If you have to work the switch a certain way to get it to work, that can be a wear issue with the internal contacts of the switch.

Head over to www.mymopar.com and download a Chrysler factory service manual. FREE download, takes a short time, generally.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
I will do so, Thank you

Sounds like the breaker inside the switch is doing its job.

Make sure the switch has a good ground (tighten the switch screws, if needed)

@CBODY67 has some good info. Motor, wiring, bulkhead connections.

68 offered 2 speed and 3 speed wipers.
The switches and motors are different between the two
Hope you have the correct NOS switch.

Back