Wondering about future value of C body cars

I seriously doubt that there is a gigantic warehouse in Turkey that has thousands of NOS roof rail seals, wiper cams, door panels, dash pads, power antenna motors, etc.
substitute-teacher-tells-kids-no-santa

Jeff....

The younger crowd is restoring and/or turbo'ing 90's Honda's and other imports now.

Or diesel trucks.......

There are numerous Formal parts that are not on the planet anymore and I seriously doubt that there is a gigantic warehouse in Turkey that has thousands of NOS roof rail seals, wiper cams, door panels, dash pads, power antenna motors, etc.

Some stuff can be rebuilt but you won't find any NOS quality Formal door panels unless someone takes the few Formal survivors apart...

I used to that about some parts but when you look for 20 years and boom, 3 turn up. You are very surprised

If our cars become popular the hard to find stuff will be reproduced.

I kind of doubt that. There may be some attempts at some generic parts. An example is Murray Park repoping door sills. I just don't think that you will ever see much replacement sheet metal. Maybe some floor and trunk pans, but that's it. The tooling costs for quality repops is high and it's hard to justify those costs on a smaller market.... and then you factor in this:

The cheap bastards of the world keep the values down.....

One of the things that are drawing folks to the C body is the lower cost of entry. I don't see these owners ponying up a lot of cash for repop parts.

There are numerous Formal parts that are not on the planet anymore and I seriously doubt that there is a gigantic warehouse in Turkey that has thousands of NOS roof rail seals, wiper cams, door panels, dash pads, power antenna motors, etc.

Nope... read all about it on the intrawebs, so you know it's true.

I think the values have slowly but steadily been increasing and I don't really see any reason that things are going to change too drastically. I don't think the generational argument applies for these cars, they're not Model Ts.

All a guy can do is try to guess which way it's going to go, IMO. I can remember when I was 18 or 20, no one I knew, myself included thought "Forward Look" cars would ever be worth anything. You couldn't even give them away. A buddy told me about a '59 Dodge that was parked on a lot and had a sign on it that said "Free". I drove out and had a look at it, but didn't take it. It looked to be basically complete and had an engine. The interior was packed full of junk. It was a 4-door. That car was still sitting there several months later. Even the 2-doors weren't on anybody's wish list back then, but look at the prices for nice ones now. I agree that classic cars like Mustangs, Camaros and 'Cudas, for that matter, most other "musclecars" of that era, Chevelles, GTOs, Chargers & Roadrunners, will likely stay popular. Probably the same with F-100s and Chevy trucks of the fifties and sixties. Maybe Thunderbirds will too. I can't say whether much of anything else will though. I hope so, but I don't know. Besides the fact that some of the guys are having to leave the hobby because of age/health issues, we also could be faced with legislation put in place, either because of the green crowd or maybe to "clear the roads" for self-driving cars, that would severely restrict when, where or even if we could continue to drive our classic cars. This is something that we can never be too vigilant against.

Then there's the fact that potential project cars and parts cars get needlessly destroyed by scrapping or demo derbies every year. Once those cars and parts are gone they are gone forever. This is why I will be very surprised if any companies start repopping parts for C-Bodies, or for full-size Mercurys, Buicks and Oldsmobilles. I mean, other than those of us on this forum, how many C-bodies are still out there? To my surprise, I've been seeing a few "Slabs" popping up around here lately, but it's been at least four years since I've seen another "Fusie". Being a younger guy once myself...LOL, I can't see a younger person wanting to take on a project that will be extremely difficult to find parts for, possibly meaning long periods of downtime. I mean, when I was that age I wanted a car I could just jump in and drive. Sure, I wanted to make it nice, make it cool, but I didn't want to have to spend two or three years looking for a part. I was perfectly willing to head out to the local boneyard and spend a day, but didn't want, or expect, to come back empty handed. Now, I'm very lucky if I can find anything there at all.

So, like I said, I can only try to guess where it's all going from here. Damn it, I wrote a book, I didn't intend to, but...:lol:

FYI....I wanted a forward look car since the early 80s....58/9 Dodge or DeSoto convertible

I was what? 14?

I probably can't add much to what has been discussed already, just want to say that I think C bodies (with exception of the convertibles perhaps, and the letter cars) are not going to be in great demand or experience a great value increase in the next 5-10 years, and then I think there may be a drop off in demand, as those of us who grew up enjoying the 60's C bodies age...

On the other hand, I made a friend who is 18 and looking for a '66 4 door Newport. He owned one before, sold it after two years, and now wishes he had it back. Myself, in my late 50's, I've owned my '65 New Yorker 12 years. I've had things rebuilt, etc. over the years, and to me, the car is just fun to own and drive. It wasn't an investment.

There's another bit of the equation that might come into play in coming years. While we grew up with these cars, there's younger people that have never seen the big cars and will like them for the sheer difference. I think that is why the C bodies are going to Europe these days. The cars are nothing like anyone over there experienced on a regular basis.

I can go out right now and buy versions of two of my cars Charger and Challenger brand new easy to drive easy to own. I cannot go out and buy a version of a C body and will not be able to in the future. Will they go up in value, who cares, I did not buy my cars because I had wondrous insight in the mid eighties that they would go up in value I bought them cause they were cool and I wanted them.

Thanks for all the replies! For those that want to see pics, I'm kinda tech challenged. Don't have a digital camera and not sure how to send phone pics. Use your imagination; the car is a "driver" but it attracts attention everywhere I go. Can't stop for gas without someone asking me a bunch of ???. It makes a good appearance and impression.

I really didn't buy the car for investment purposes and I really don't care what the "value" of the car is. I bought it because it was the ONLY thing I could find after a couple of months of searching that was affordable and not a basket case. I love old Mopars from the 50's and 60's so it's a sentimental thing to me.

Just started this thread because I thought it would be a fun and interesting discussion. The 50's Forward Look cars ARE worth a good amount of money and our 60's C bodies are probably better cars in a lot of ways

I think the values have slowly but steadily been increasing and I don't really see any reason that things are going to change too drastically. I don't think the generational argument applies for these cars, they're not Model Ts.

What! Not generational when probably 99% of those 35 and under could care less? Now fast forward 20 years when we are 75-85 years old and those 35 year olds are 55. They will still not be interested not to mention the huge impact new tech is going to have on cars as a product, to buying them, to using them only as needed in those 20 years. Some majors are already taking stakes in new businesses that will be renting cars out on as needed basis sort of like Uber. Those majors need to look far ahead to see what is coming and how they need to adjust to maintain their business. If they are doing that then the car culture, as we our age know it, is destined for one big *** overhaul.

This is my take on what I own: 1959 Imperial,'62 300 conv, '66 Olds Toronado and '70 Fury Pursuit will always be somewhat valuable. The '78 New Yorker Coupe and '79 New Yoker are cheap cars to have fun but have limited long term value. The jury is still out but I'm optimistic on the '04 GTO and I have someone coming to look at the '69 Grand Prix in a couple of weeks. Be realistic but also have fun owning them.

I am having a ball with my cars. I am glad I do not have a museum piece. I have no concern about making money on any of my hobbies, if I did I wouldn't have any fun!

Jeff....

The younger crowd is restoring and/or turbo'ing 90's Honda's and other imports now.

Or diesel trucks.......

Some stuff can be rebuilt but you won't find any NOS quality Formal door panels unless someone takes the few Formal survivors apart...

I can't recall the last time I saw a nice 90's civic that wasn't already destroyed... the popularity of those cars will likely also be their undoing... they have numbers on their side, but I would be surprised if too many will want to repeat the mistakes a decade later. Not a single one in Orlando this year that could pass a safety or emissions inspection...

I am already in "parts hoarder" mode, I assume in a few years I will be more like Stan, looking for that one perfect this or that...

I can't recall the last time I saw a nice 90's civic that wasn't already destroyed... the popularity of those cars will likely also be their undoing... they have numbers on their side, but I would be surprised if too many will want to repeat the mistakes a decade later. Not a single one in Orlando this year that could pass a safety or emissions inspection...

I am already in "parts hoarder" mode, I assume in a few years I will be more like Stan, looking for that one perfect this or that...

Practically every Civic out here has been butchered one way or the other. Very similar to what happened to the Datsun 510. You can't find a single unmolested Civic from the 90's. Now some from the early 80's yes but they don't lend themselves to mods.

When down on the ship today I saw another volunteer I know and made a comment about the nice rope job holding up his bumper on his Toyota truck. Seems someone ran a red and hit him in the corner. He now has that to repair along with working on his 1950 GMC truck, the building of his plane, and roof on a second house. So he asks me if I am still interested in his 1978 Celica Liftback and I said yeah. He then says it is yours as he tried selling it and everyone wanted to either grab the engine of the 5spd. and junk the rest which is nice. Won't allow that so it is mine free of charge.

There's no way of knowing which vehicles will be valued years into the future.

In 1979 Lincoln stated (documented) their belief that those last "full size" cars were expected to increase in value, they never have, but it was nice to drive and enjoy them (sold my Aussie cars in preparation for a move to Christchurch NZ next July).

Have two Lincolns on eBay - a lovely 1977 town coupe with continental kit only bid to $4450 and an AHA (Andy Hotton Associates) 1977 coupe convertbile conversion also continental kit currently bid to $6106.

So, what do you do? Just enjoy the things since folks don't value them highly enough, as is also true of Chrysler and GM models too.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

This is my first C body, I've previously owned sweptline trucks and have been on the lookout for one for a while but prices have gone through the roof since I bought the last one 10 years ago when you could hardly give them away.
So I started looking around for something else Mopar that would float my boat, I once owned a Plymouth Scamp and fancied another, or a Dart, but A bodies have gone loonytunes as well.
I don't want to turn up at cruise night with the same car as 5 others and have them picking it to bits, or have the biggest baddest B body and listen to the jealousy pouring out.
I like quirky I embrace different, I saw this car and thought, yeah that's for me, the auction fell very nicely for me and I got a cheap fun project.
I know it'll never be worth much, I don't care, I'll make it nice in my own style so that I'm happy with it, ***k everyone else's opinion, it's my car after all.

I think our values will go up some, due to inflation, and due to other options getting too expensive. 318 B-bodies, once ignored, are getting more expensive due to ability to clone to a musclecar. A-bodies were largely ignored except for specific factory examples, but now the plain-janes are getting pricey also. So our turn will be next.

Not that our cars will start to gain interest, but just that everything else got more expensive too.

OTOH, I think I am seeing a higher qty of lower asking prices on Letter cars lately, while asking prices on non-Letter seems to be going up. Weird.

I drive around in my 69 FuryIII and people will come up to me ,tell me they go to car shows etc and ,,"man you Never see these anymore!" They love it. Late 1960's full size cars are not the norm. Mostly mid sized cars. I think of my 69 Fury III with the 440 as basically a Harley on 4 wheels. It doesn't do anything exceptionally well but it sure is cool to cruise around in and it is much more rare than the sought after mopars. It took me a very long time looking all over the country to find a 69 Fury in great shape. I sometimes think there are more old Cuda's today than were made!!!!

Last edited:
Back